PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at rag curls!

see_turtle
May 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/see_the_turtle/may2011002.jpg

Went to my future father in laws wedding yesterday so I did my hair in rag curls. Easy to put in and take out but they suck to sleep on! By the end of the day they'd transformed into frizzy waves and my hair is super tangled today but it was good while it lasted!

ALYSSA
May 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
soooooo pretty! please explain step by step how u did it! my hair is as straight as a pin

Mrspuddinhead
May 22nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
I tried using rag curlers and it was just awful!!! The rags tangled my ends and hair something terrible. I now know I need to use perm paper so the rags slide out more easily and no tangles. For any one else trying rag curlers please do not skip this step.

selderon
May 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Actually, I found that I got better results using wider strips of rag and thicker sections of hair.

1. Fold a rectangular piece of rag lengthwise with the end of your hair section in the fold. This seems to keep the hair from tangling. (Hair should be barely damp or even dry.)
2. Carefully roll the rag and hair toward your head, keeping moderate tension on it. You will probably have to pinch the roll between your fingers as you go to keep the hair from sliding out.
3. When you reach the point where the curl should stop, wrap the ends of the rag behind (or over, depending on the direction you're rolling) the portion of the hair above the roll. Tie the ends of the rag together in an overhand knot. Remember that if you roll close to the scalp, you'll have crazy volume. If you roll just to the earlobe, less volume.
4. Remember that you can choose where your rags lie. I usually place mine on the sides of my head for more sleeping comfort.
5. Carefully untie each rag and gently remove it from the curl, disturbing the curl as little as possible.
5. Unless you're going for the Bride of Frankenstein look, don't brush your hair. Make curls slimmer and more abundant by gently separating each curl until it looks right.

WittyWordsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Nice curls, see turtle!

And thank you for those great instructions, selderon! I will definitely be following them soon!

Garnet66
May 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Very pretty curls. Thanks for sharing the instructions, selderon.

selderon
May 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
No problem. There are some decent rag curl videos online. I never got the hang of it until I watched enough of them to figure out the details. Written instructions often don't hack it for me.

One other thing... you might want to sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase. My un-rolled bits got kind of frizzy and it was challenging to make them behave without fluffing the rest of my hair.

S-mansMommy
June 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the instructions, and the tip about the pillow case. I did this once a couple years ago, and had lots of frizzy bits to deal with, not to mention not realizing the volume I would achieve by rolling right to the scalp!