PDA

View Full Version : ?How can i keep my semi permenant black hair dye to stay as black as possable?

ALYSSA
May 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
?How can i keep my semi permenant black hair dye to stay as black as possable?
as some of you may know i recently dyed my hair black and im loving it! but im terrified to wash it because i dont want my color to fade. i stretch my washes from every 3 days to once a week to save the color longer does any one know any good tips to keep my hair dark as a raven for as long as poosable :) thank you in advance
i usuially soak my hair in coconut pil befor washes and i use SLS shampoo becuase my hair likes them best (i use tresemme naturals shampoo & conditioner it supposedly have avacodo oil and aloe vera in and fewer SLS and no cones) i CWC and i apply coconut oil to my ends after i get out of the shower hope that helps :) is there any thing i am doing wrong?

Annie Fulton
May 22nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
The only thing I know of to recommend is to wash your hair with cool/cold water. Warmer water will make the color fade out faster.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I've heard that olive oil can pull color out. I don't know about coconut oil, though.

ALYSSA
May 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
i heards coconut oil can darken hair? i dont use it for that purpose but i wouldnt mind it it did :) thank you for the tips :) i prefer cold water any ways i would like to keep my hair as black as possible

sarahbrownie
May 22nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
When I dyed my hair black with a semi-permanent I found it to be very permanent. I don't know why but black dye doesn't wash out like other semi-permanent dyes. When I wanted it gone I had to chemically strip it. Give it time, you might find the black doesn't budge.

Roscata
May 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
You might want to try mild shampoos/conditioners. Maybe something without SLS.
And if it fades you can alway add some color back with a semi-permanent dye. :D

musicallberrii
May 22nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I don't think you have to worry much about black dye washing out.. it is usually very permanent. If you find that the color starts to leave, Sally's Beauty Supply has tons of temorary/deposit only black colors.. Jazzing and Manic Panic are the top two that come to mind. They don't damage your hair at all, so they would be a good option to apply to your hair if the color fades. You can even add some to to a bottle of conditioner you often use and refresh your hair when you wash. When my hair was black, I used semi-permanent and the color wouldn't wash out at all.

christine1989
May 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
You might want to try mild shampoos/conditioners. Maybe something without SLS.
And if it fades you can alway add some color back with a semi-permanent dye. :D

I second this! Harsh SLS shampoos are a commonly reccomended method to help strip color so stay away from it as much as possible. You could also refresh your color if needed with a gloss of indigo+henna.

selderon
May 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
The general rules to prevent hair color fading are as follows:
1) Keep your hair dry until the end of your shower. Then wash, condition and rinse quickly.
2) Instead of wrapping your hair in a towel, blot it dry. Somehow this is supposed to prevent the tiny color molecules from soaking into the towel.
3) Protect your hair from sunlight.
4) Use a color protecting shampoo and conditioner.

Kathie
May 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
I've read that coconut oil can also pull color out. I guess its because, like olive oil, it can penetrate into the hair shaft, so it has a way of getting in and around the hair dye molecules.

ALYSSA
May 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
thank you so much for all the replies they have been very help ful :) black hair dye doesnt stay in my hair for long i have dyed it black befor it fades away so fast i am going to try jazzing or manic panic ..also im concidering a SLS free shampoo i have tried them befor but my hair didnt like it at all...but i should give it a second try ...for some reason when i dye my hair black i never feel like its black enough and i thnk its too light...i call it the black hair sickness haha my hair will be dark as night and i will want to dye it more black . again, thank you so muc i will deffinatly give these a try (: im not sure i can give up coconut oil though . it has made a HUGE difference in my hair

Kathie
May 24th, 2011, 12:17 AM
im not sure i can give up coconut oil though . it has made a HUGE difference in my hair
You never know, it could have no effect on your hair dye. Lots of these things come down to individual hair types etc :)