PDA

View Full Version : Wet hair and elastics bad?

tiny_teesha
March 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I read that the longer your hair is wet the more likely it will burht the cuticle or something
source (http://www.verticalsinhair.com/blow.shtml)
is he out of his mind? I thought it added moisture? Who is right? Is mising now deemed dangerous? It sort of makes sence....

Ok and secondly yes the metal snaggful elastics are the evil but what about those terry towel or silicone ones. What is wrong with those. I'm hearing a bit of "just braid and let it be without the elastic"

By tieding off my hair am i damaging it? I normally braid as far as i can and then use the silicone ones to finish because they are small enough to hold. Otherwise at the base and when i braid not so low i use the sort of terry towel ones, or scunci antislip (which feel roughish but no metal) or those ones that loose the elasticity fast.

This is makieng me sad. And how is the damage seen? By splits, or kinks in the hair or how? What if you tied them on and off carefully?

sorry for being a worry wart, i just want to be nice to my ends, they are very sad after all!

eta- i think i also read braids are damaging by themselves. And also on the same site i think that wearing hair up causes tension on the hair shaft or something and makes you shed more..... if that is true then loose styles are best. Maybe a loose pony tail held witha satin srunchy and maybe to keet the hairs protected in a satin hair pouch (im planning on making one) or with satin scrunchies tied down the length?

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I know one thing, the site is NOT curly friendly! :taz: If I blew my hair dry like they said I would have a total mess on my hands! (take a paddle brush and smooth down the ends??? ACCKKKKKKKK!) I am sticking to what I know is proven on my own head of hair. My hair is better than it has ever been by ditching the blow dryer and wearing updos only helps MORE. I am careful of elastics but I use the Scunci hair hosiery type and have no problem now. I also use my blow dryer on low sometimes to get some of the dampness out when it's cold. I would do what you have found to work for YOU.

savi
March 13th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Not true.

That might be true if hair was like normal human cells but it ain't. Its porocity allowes the water to exit the hair rather quickly so there's basicly no possibilities of water harming the hair structure. And when you're blowdying your hair even on low heat it will boil the water inside the hair. Maybe not causing huge amounts of damage but still. And how does one really know when to stop drying the hair? Under normal circumstance hair consists of 12-15% of water. How do you know your not blowdrying that bit out too and drying the hair out?

I think he has read of osmosis but hasn't done his researche throughly.

Using this advice on curly hair would probably be stupid since it usually lacks water/moisture.

tiny_teesha
March 13th, 2008, 06:19 AM
What great adivce! I don't know but if short term effects (misting = soft) will in time make hair weaker (if their theory of the hair exploding works)
Yeh that whole site is to do with some form of new way to relaxhair! haha the "healthy" way.

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Good post Savi! I guess it just goes to show ya Tiny Teesha don't believe everything we read huh? :p

Garnet66
March 13th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for bringing it up tiny_teesha. What about putting elastics in when your hair is wet? Does that damage it in any way?

FrannyG
March 13th, 2008, 06:49 AM
It really isn't a good idea to put regular hair elastics in wet hair. The cuticle is still open and the hair is stretchy, and most definitely that can cause wear and tear. Hair hosiery is the best way to go for tying off wet hair.

Clips, forks and sticks are okay in wet hair though.

tiny_teesha
March 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I have an idea. For a sleep braid why don't we saturate the last few inches in aloe vera gel so it sticks together all night while having moisture? Good or bad idea?
silk pillowcases arent good for my skin and the caps don't let me have a restless sleep and are too hot for summer.

savi
March 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I personally wouldn't put any elastics on my hair when wet, since they tend to be tight and hair is most fragile(or elastic) when wet. So it probably would strech the cuticle like frannyg said.

An updo can pull out hair if it is to tight or stressing the scalp. I don't think the weight of the hair is the biggest point since hair in itself is light material. I don't see any problem if you make them loose and it's not pulling anywhere.

Braids are bad? I quess then I must be killing my hair. :D There really isn't anything that isn't damaging in someway or another, it's just about limiting the damage. Someone suits something that someone else doesn't really. Maybe you might think back on what you've been doing to your hair hat coul've caused the ends to get sad. And then avoid it?

And thanks Curlsgirl, I kind of like biology...

aisling
March 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Click on "home" and check out the site a little more. It's a site promoting

The Science of Permanent Hair Straightening and Thermal Reconditioning which is also known as, Japanese Hair Straightening System / TR

The site owner seems to be a hairdresser specializing in that, puts some doubts on his credibility is my eyes. Source critisism my dears is an important thing.

lora410
March 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I honestly don't even like elastics anymore; esp on wet hair. The only think I picture is it snapping my hair. I used to use elastics to do my buns; yikes no wonder I had mangled ends. I use all scrunchies now and just do buns.

Garnet66
March 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I guess I've been a very bad girl. No way I can get great hair if I've been putting my hair up wet. I'll have to switch to scrunchies and only when dry. Thanks for the great answers.

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
I was actually asking 2 seperate quesitons, one that is wet hair bad- it was saying if the cuticle swells too much it causes irreperable damage (which explains why jjj blow dries every tiem she washes her hair and have knee length hair) and if elastics are bad. Even the non metal ones, for tieing off the ends.
and also if braids are damaging. I guess if they were tight they would be, otherwise the keep the hair from tangling which is a good thing.

I think wet hair is bad, but i know it does make my hair feel soft sometimes when i leave it damp overnight. othertimes- not so soft. I think elastics aren't bad, so long as they are snaggless and taken out with care.