PDA

View Full Version : Hair Color Stereotypes

musicallberrii
May 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
First and foremost, this thread isn't meant to be insulting or offensive to anyone so please don't take it that way! This is just a silly thread and I thought it would be fun to share experiences and opinions about hair stereotypes.

Of course we all know that stereotypes aren't always true.. but sometimes they come pretty close! I thought it would be fun to list some of the common stereotypes for different hair colors and share our personal experiences with those stereotypes. For the purposes of this thread, use your natural color when referring to if you fit a stereotype or not. However if you dye your hair and feel that the stereotype for that hair color fits you, then share that as well! Also, do you know other people who fit or don't fit these stereotypes? Share away!

Blondes: Blondes are usually stereotyped as dumb, ditzy, superficial, playful, airheads, more fun, popular, and beautiful.

Most of the blondes I know don't fit the negative stereotypes.. I have never known a dumb blonde. However, most of the blondes I know are attractive people, are very playful and fun, and attract a lot of attention. Most of the blondes I have met were really outgoing and happy people.

Redheads: Redheads are usually stereotyped as having a temper, being rash, dramatic, strange or weird, and in-your-face.

I'm a natural redhead and I definitely think I fit some of these stereotypes. I have a bad temper when I finally go off, I can be pretty dramatic and stress out over things easily, and I definitely have a bunch of weird things about my personality and hobbies. I am also a pretty straightforward person and don't sugarcoat things and am pretty blunt. My dad and grandpa are also redheads, and I have about 20 other redheads in my life that are friends or acquaintances. Every redhead I know has a bad temper, and every redhead I know has a weird or eccentric quirkiness about them. My mom always tells me that redheads are from another planet.. In my experience there is some weird sort of understanding between natural redheads.. like a secret brotherhood or some kind of mutual respect.

Brunettes: Brunettes are usually stereotyped as being intelligent, plain, boring, shy, nerdy, and average.

Most of the brunettes I know are very intelligent and quiet, but none of them are boring or plain! I can only recall 1 or 2 ditsy brunettes that I have met. My wonderful boyfriend is a brunette and fits some of these stereotypes.. he is a bit of a nerd even though he likes to do bodybuilding, he is super intelligent, and he is shy at times. I think this hair color is really hard to stereotype though just because it is one of the most common colors, and holds the most room for diversity for that reason.

Black Haired People (Noirs? Blackheads? Dusklocks? What to call them..): Blackheads (lol not trying to be offensive here, I swear) are usually stereotyped as exotic, independent and strong, bombshells, sexy, mysterious, and enchanting.

I don't know many black haired people besides my mom. My mom was definitely sexy in her day, and she has always been really independent and outspoken, and a strong woman. Most of the black haired people I have seen definitely have that exotic, mysterious vibe going on. This is my favorite hair color and I always think people with jet black hair are so attractive and gorgeous. [I wish I could pull it off :( ]

What are your experiences? Do you fit your hair color stereotype? :)

invisiblebabe
May 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
My natural color is a very ashy, dark blonde. So it is not light blonde (a la the dumb blonde stereotype), and it is not brunette. I don't think there are any stereotypes for it!

I do highlights and a bit of lightening allover, which gets my hair further into the blonde category. I have a very silly side, and I enjoy fashion, but I don't fit the stereotype other than that. I am about as far from "popular" or "superficial" as you can get :P

My favorite natural haircolor is red, which might make sense because I identify with being quirky ;)

Annibelle
May 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
Blondes: I really only know one, and she is ditzy, bubbly, sweet, and cute. She's not superficial and she's not dumb, but if you didn't know her, you'd probably think she's dumb...

Redheads: Again, I only know one, and she's DEFINITELY weird but she doesn't have a temper AT ALL. She'll let you walk all over her. :( But she's certainly one of the strangest people I've ever known... hehe. I wonder if there should be different classifications of redheads? She's the type with very thick, loosely curled dark red hair.

Brunettes: That'd be me and my DH! I guess we fit the stereotype exactly... hehe. We're both teachers, which are stereotypically all of those qualities... "intelligent, plain, boring, shy, nerdy, and average."

The only dusklocks I've ever known (I like that term!) were 1.) a very quiet, chubby Chinese girl and 2.) an Indian girl who is kind of pretty but VERY full of herself. Neither really fit their stereotype at all...

HairFaerie
May 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
My natural color is "mousy brown".

I do consider myself somewhat intelligent and I think I am "average". OK, I will even own up to the "nerdy"! :p

However, I don't think anyone who knows me would ever consider me plain, boring or shy. Quite the opposite, actually!

elbow chic
May 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
I think being blond forces you to be more extroverted than you might be otherwise. There is no hiding in plain sight, no flying under the radar.

And everyone remembers you. This is both good and bad.

:p I really am sort of ditzy, though. Fortunately my children have thus far survived my absent-minded style of mothering. Hardy critters. ;)

TheMechaGinger
May 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm a natural red head and I get a lot of those stereotypes. I have two blond sisters (who are both very ditzy and fit the stereotype well) and a brunette sister and I'm considered the bombshell of the four of us by most of our family. I guess I'm also pretty peculiar, I love old movies and old music like 1920's-early 1960's and I'm very domestic. I cook, clean, sew, crochet, you name it. I Those are pretty odd qualities in your modern day 19 year old. Oh and I definitely have the stereotypical "fiery temper"

Rivanariko
May 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
I am naturally blond, always have been. I'm quiet, shy and awkward in social situations. I'm pretty intelligent and a little on the nerdy side. Basically, I fit the Brunette stereotype to a T. However, if I do something "dumb" or "ditzy" then I will laugh and blame it on my hair, as a joke. I have gotten pretty good at flying under the radar though, despite having hair that, admittedly, does attract more attention.

My two closest friends where I live now (haven't been here very long, not good at meeting new people/making friends) are a redhead and a brunette. The red-head is quiet and pretty shy, very nervous about making a good impression, but once she gets comfortable with you, she definitely has a quirky and crazy side, but it's on a much more subdued level.I haven't seen her temper show, but I suppose there's a possibility of it being there. My brunette friend is very out-going, loud, funny and more than a little crazy. You can recognize her laugh from across a parking lot, and you hear it a lot.

On the other hand, my boss is a natural red-head and fits every stereotype, proudly. She's absolutely insane, has a horrible temper, very in-your-face, rash, outgoing, etc. She claims her hair as an excuse for her behavior quite frequently. There's another girl that I work with that I'm sort of casual friends with who is platinum blond and fits every stereotype. She's ditzy and not incredibly smart, she loves to go out and party and loves attention. She's a shameless flirt and just overall loves to have a good time. She's a really nice person and I enjoy spending time with her, she's just... exhausting.

So, basically I can think of people who fit and don't fit every stereotype :-P

Sunshineliz
May 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
You forgot silver-hairs!:D Yes, it's a natural color. People either think it's frumpy, old, and forgetful (why did you forget to color your hair?) or shiny, sexy, and sleek, or magical and other-worldly.

I've been just about all over. I spent early childhood as a blonde (which did not make me outgoing in the slightest), turned into a brunette (which stereotypically would probably fit me best:)), darkened so much it was almost black, and then started sprouting silver when I was just barely out of the teens. And the brown lightened a bit again.

Now I'm striped. I think my hair is bi-polar. I feel like that sometimes too.:p

luxepiggy
May 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Yup, I pretty much fit the stereotype for dark hair (^(oo)^)

akuamoonmaui
May 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
The other blond stereo type is the ice queen. Calculating, beautiful and just plain ol' mean hearted. Sharon Stone's characters come to mind.

The other red head stereo type is the sexually.... shall we say, adventurous? I was driving to work one day and the DJ had a poll going.... "Redheads are mostly likely to _____ in a car?" Let's just say he couldn't repeat the most popular answer. :agape:

All Natural Mom
May 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I would have to say I do NOT fit my stereotype at all! I am a very shy and a self proclaimed nerdy Blonde. I will say stereotypes are fun to play with!;)

Annie Fulton
May 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
I have a friend who is a redhead. One time, a local librarian told her husband that she must be a "hand full" because of the temper that goes along with redheads. First of all, I thought that was a very rude thing to say anyway. Secondly, she does have a bit of a temper, but she doesn't lose it over every little thing. Most of the time she is just happy-go-lucky. She is pretty quirky though. ;P
And, even though I'm a brunette, I tend to fit the redhead stereotype. I do have a temper, and I also tend to hold grudges. Plus, as my mom tells me, I am "brutally honest". I'm not rude (at least I don't try to be!), I just tell people the truth.
Also, I have another friend who is kind of a blonde and a redhead. She has a very interesting hair color. Anyway, she fits the redhead sterotype a bit, but not the blonde one at all. She is no where near superficial and she is one of the most intelligent people I know. ;)

getoffmyskittle
May 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Actually, black is the most common hair color in the world, not brown.

I'm a brunette and I am hardly plain, boring, shy, or average. And I've known plenty of brunettes who were "ditzy" and plenty who are outgoing (including me in the right situation).

Also one of my best friends has very very blonde hair naturally, and she is quiet, a little bit shy, and doesn't attract a lot of attention.

The only redhead I've ever been close to actually kind of fit the blonde stereotypes.

I think it's poppycock. :p

musicallberrii
May 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Actually, black is the most common hair color in the world, not brown.

I said it was one of the most common colors :P

You forgot silver-hairs!:D Yes, it's a natural color. People either think it's frumpy, old, and forgetful (why did you forget to color your hair?) or shiny, sexy, and sleek, or magical and other-worldly.

I've been just about all over. I spent early childhood as a blonde (which did not make me outgoing in the slightest), turned into a brunette (which stereotypically would probably fit me best:)), darkened so much it was almost black, and then started sprouting silver when I was just barely out of the teens. And the brown lightened a bit again.

Now I'm striped. I think my hair is bi-polar. I feel like that sometimes too.:p

I apologize, you're right! Women with long silver hair do always seem magical. I haven't seen many long haired silver-hairs, but it is gorgeous!

Thanks for the replies everyone :) Interesting to see some people fit their stereotypes and some not.. perhaps you had a different hair color in another life? :D

dragonchickx
May 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Im a redhead, and I am a little weird sometimes, quirky and awkward, but friendly and funny. I fit a lot of those discriptions actually lol..

racrane
May 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
I'm a blond and I'm not flirty and outgoing at all. I'm very shy, except with the people closest to me. I can be ditzy when I want (for a show) and I can act it very well, it's just not me. I had to don a auburn wig for my last show and it completely changed my personality. I felt sexy and such a bombshell. It helped my performance tremendously because the character was a famous celebrity. It's kind of interesting how changing a hair color (even a wig) changes how I feel about myself. But being a natural blond doesn't make me outgoing, flirty or dramatic. I like being blond, though. I can't see my hair color any other way.

growingpains
May 23rd, 2011, 12:58 AM
I don't really buy into hair stereotypes, at least not natural hair ones.

Let me explain. I'm a brunette. I think I'm sexy, adventurous, passionate, and academic geek all in one. I certainly never feel like I am inhibited in any way by my brown hair. I think it goes well with my eyes and is sexy. I know plenty of blonds and redheads who are similarly outgoing, seen as attractive and also driven and smart. I also know lots of brunettes, redheads and blonds who are shy, wallflower types.

I do however agree with the stereotypes when it come to dying hair. I think people dye their hair certain colors sometimes to enhance their 'look' or further slide into the niche stereotype. Blonde is the perfect example. So many women go blonde or blonder cause it's seen as sexier, more fun, 'hotter', or as someone pointed out, even more 'ice queen'. I think people dye their hair dark colors for similar reasons. I used to go black for years so I could fit into the 'sexy bad ass' with an edge stereotype.

Now I'm natural and being natural is more about who I am than any color that may be:)

I agree though, fun to play with this.

Arya
May 23rd, 2011, 01:07 AM
Redheads get the most negative/disgusting comments, so eventually, yes, it sets you off and makes you snap. Proving their point. You also stick out a bunch, even if you don't want to, so a lot of redheads get picked on. It's also one of the last standing prejudicial ideas about the Irish. People automatically think I'm an alcoholic and have rage issues, I've been told i must be a sl*t, or evil. I have a friend who's teacher would single her out daily, and attribute every failure to her being a 'wild and uncontrollable redhead' and that she would probably be 'barefoot and pregnant' by 16 with hair like that. Oh, and I've lost count of how many times someone's told me "I'm going to beat you like a redheaded step child". No other colour seems to inspire violence in people like red.

pepperminttea
May 23rd, 2011, 02:08 AM
I fit the brunette stereotype; nerdy, boring, and quiet (and quite happy being so). :D

Aveyronnaise
May 23rd, 2011, 02:16 AM
I have black hair and I call myself a ' ravenette ' - even though my hair isn't necessarily blue black, but a tigerstripey black.

meh - stereotypes .

KittyLost
May 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM
Brunettes: Brunettes are usually stereotyped as being intelligent, plain, boring, shy, nerdy, and average.

It's like you know me ;)

musicallberrii
May 23rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Redheads get the most negative/disgusting comments, so eventually, yes, it sets you off and makes you snap. Proving their point. You also stick out a bunch, even if you don't want to, so a lot of redheads get picked on. It's also one of the last standing prejudicial ideas about the Irish. People automatically think I'm an alcoholic and have rage issues, I've been told i must be a sl*t, or evil. I have a friend who's teacher would single her out daily, and attribute every failure to her being a 'wild and uncontrollable redhead' and that she would probably be 'barefoot and pregnant' by 16 with hair like that. Oh, and I've lost count of how many times someone's told me "I'm going to beat you like a redheaded step child". No other colour seems to inspire violence in people like red.

I can't believe people said stuff like that to you. I have heard the redheaded step child thing before, even more so after my dad got remarried and everyone thought it was so funny to make that comment 500000 times a day. I've never had anyone tell me that I must be alcoholic or trashy or anything like that, but I did have a friend who's mom constantly said I was a devil child and evil and all this stuff (crazy because I was very well behaved around parents and quiet and nice). I'm not sure where you are from but I have heard redhead hatred is bad to the extreme over in the UK and some areas of Europe. I'm from the US and usually if someone comments on my hair it is a compliment and positive. I have had guys made crude remarks but usually all it takes is a quick cuss-out or a finger in the air and they back off. :D

musicallberrii
May 23rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
I have black hair and I call myself a ' ravenette ' - even though my hair isn't necessarily blue black, but a tigerstripey black.

meh - stereotypes .

I like that term for black hair - Ravenette :cheese: I think this should be made the official term!

Arya
May 23rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
I can't believe people said stuff like that to you. I have heard the redheaded step child thing before, even more so after my dad got remarried and everyone thought it was so funny to make that comment 500000 times a day. I've never had anyone tell me that I must be alcoholic or trashy or anything like that, but I did have a friend who's mom constantly said I was a devil child and evil and all this stuff (crazy because I was very well behaved around parents and quiet and nice). I'm not sure where you are from but I have heard redhead hatred is bad to the extreme over in the UK and some areas of Europe. I'm from the US and usually if someone comments on my hair it is a compliment and positive. I have had guys made crude remarks but usually all it takes is a quick cuss-out or a finger in the air and they back off. :D

Oh, well you see it's cos I must be Irish, and everyone knows all Irish are drunks. *rolls eyes*. Red headed kids mostly get the 'devil child' comments, at puberty the 'beat you like a redheaded step child' and the really crude jokes, now it's mostly acquaintances who think the jokes are hilarious, or that I'll find them irresistable. OH, call me Lindsay again!!! Not so much.

emeraldshade
May 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I'm a natural redhead--a little quirky, sometimes eccentric, but I've never been hot tempered.

Guccigirlxx
May 23rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
I know people from all those hair colors and theyre all really different. O.O I can't think of anything that the redheads had all in common besides red hair...one was flamboyant and happy go lucky, while another was shy and worried all the time. Same with blondes, brunettes, noirs. However with platinum blondes... Thats a diff story.

TrudieCat
May 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Black Haired People (Noirs? Blackheads? Dusklocks? What to call them..): Blackheads (lol not trying to be offensive here, I swear) are usually stereotyped as exotic, independent and strong, bombshells, sexy, mysterious, and enchanting.

This bothers me. The idea that people with black hair are "exotic" comes from a very Euro-centric point of view. As getoffmyskittle said, it's the most common hair color in the world. I don't know that this is truly a common stereotype outside of places where the population is not predominantly of European (esp. norther European) descent.

I actually can't stand the idea of hair color stereotypes, just like I don't like ethnic stereotypes, and I don't think there's anything fun about thinking about them. :twocents:

ETA: on second thought, I do understand why it's important to acknowledge stereotypes and it's clear that no one in this thread believes they are true or anything. I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with discussing them - just that I don't find the topic to be fun, exactly, as it was characterized in the first post.

Sunshineliz
May 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
I think we often find it "fun" because it's a bit amusing how ridiculous a stereotype is. The only time it isn't fun is when a person gets hurt by it or it keeps interfering with their lives. Hopefully most reasonable people aren't heavily influenced by stereotypes.

TrudieCat
May 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
I think we often find it "fun" because it's a bit amusing how ridiculous a stereotype is. The only time it isn't fun is when a person gets hurt by it or it keeps interfering with their lives. Hopefully most reasonable people aren't heavily influenced by stereotypes.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense. I guess the question is, when is the line crossed when a stereotype becomes actually hurtful? In my case, all the blonde stereotypes that have been applied to me over the years have made me very angry most of the time - but they have not, so far as I can tell, hurt me or interfered with my life in any way. As we all know that's not the case for everyone. I've witnessed some horrible hair stereotyping in action - not just related to color, but also to texture.

I do think I had a pretty strong knee-jerk negative reaction when I first saw this thread which wasn't really appropriate. Apologies!

Firefox7275
May 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
What about mousey hair? I don't mean 'dirty blonde', there is not a speck of blonde in my natural hair unless bleached by the sun, and nothing warm enough to be described as brown it's closer to grey. Maybe our stereotype is to be ignored in silly threads? :(

Annie Fulton
May 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I don't really buy into hair stereotypes, at least not natural hair ones.

Let me explain. I'm a brunette. I think I'm sexy, adventurous, passionate, and academic geek all in one. I certainly never feel like I am inhibited in any way by my brown hair. I think it goes well with my eyes and is sexy. I know plenty of blonds and redheads who are similarly outgoing, seen as attractive and also driven and smart. I also know lots of brunettes, redheads and blonds who are shy, wallflower types.

I do however agree with the stereotypes when it come to dying hair. I think people dye their hair certain colors sometimes to enhance their 'look' or further slide into the niche stereotype. Blonde is the perfect example. So many women go blonde or blonder cause it's seen as sexier, more fun, 'hotter', or as someone pointed out, even more 'ice queen'. I think people dye their hair dark colors for similar reasons. I used to go black for years so I could fit into the 'sexy bad ass' with an edge stereotype.

Now I'm natural and being natural is more about who I am than any color that may be

I agree though, fun to play with this

I never really thought about it this way, but you're right, to an extent. I dyed my hair black a while back to appear more edgy. Honestly, it suits my personality better, but only people who know me really well would know that.
But also, there is another side to hair dying (dyeing?). Now let me explain... ;)
I was born with blonde hair, but it darkened over time into a medium brown or so. My mom has very dark brown hair, and I am told that my dad had blonde hair. I never got a chance to meet my dad.
Anyway, when my hair got darker, I started dying and highlighting it to keep it blonde. I did it because it made me feel like I had a piece of my dad with me, since he was blonde. I have been told that I have his eyes, so I just liked the idea of having eyes and hair just like my dad's. It was all I had, since other than that I am basically my mom's twin. ;P
Anyway, I was just making the point that there still could be other reasons that one may dye their hair. Obviously since I dyed my hair black, I have grown out of the "be like Dad" stage. But still, dying my hair blonde had nothing to do with trying to fit in with the popular color or whatever, it was much more personal.
Sorry this was so long! ;)

Sunshineliz
May 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Yes, this makes a lot of sense. I guess the question is, when is the line crossed when a stereotype becomes actually hurtful? In my case, all the blonde stereotypes that have been applied to me over the years have made me very angry most of the time - but they have not, so far as I can tell, hurt me or interfered with my life in any way. As we all know that's not the case for everyone. I've witnessed some horrible hair stereotyping in action - not just related to color, but also to texture.

I do think I had a pretty strong knee-jerk negative reaction when I first saw this thread which wasn't really appropriate. Apologies!

You're right that they can be hurtful at times. I can't tell you how much I hated my brothers' pretend "looking for my roots" because they kept joking I was a blonde in disguise (referring to my supposed ditzyness.) And as Arya illustrated quite well stereotypes can be extremely mean.

Firefox I always just thought of "mousey" as another shade of brown. Perhaps it should have it's own category? It's not as if this thread is real picky.:D I had to point out silver hair too! It's supposed to be a fun discussion.:)

Firefox7275
May 23rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Firefox I always just thought of "mousey" as another shade of brown. Perhaps it should have it's own category? It's not as if this thread is real picky.:D I had to point out silver hair too! It's supposed to be a fun discussion.:)

It's not fun being discriminated against in threads for having mousey hair like this (http://d3uwin5q170wpc.cloudfront.net/photo/60773_700b.jpg)! :mad: I am a million miles from a mousey personality so have been colouring for 21 years. Maybe when my silver streaks come in I will go back to my natural (http://www.beagoodmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ft_halloween04mousehair_xl.jpg)?

Sunshineliz
May 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Just for the record, I don't think hair color has anything to do with personality.:) It can lead to stupid assumptions, though.

I say color your hair what you want and enjoy!

ETA: That person's hair was funny, and yet disturbing. :cheese:

ETA2: Silver streaks CAN be fun!:D

Tuntenut
May 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
When my hair was its natural dark blonde colour, I was always the life of the party and never, ever bored. I had so much fun, and I even scored a full 84% on my IQ test. Then I became a henna-head, and I had barely rinsed out the last bit of colour before the Devil came to collect my soul. I promptly ripped out the sink from the wall, threw it out a window and went to punch some people in the face, because all stereotypes are true. :cheese:

On a more serious note, I haven't experienced much in the way of stereotypes. The only thing that sort of rings true is that blondes and, to some extent, redheads are more outgoing, but only if the colour comes from a bottle. They're not colours that blend in a crowd, and if you choose to go peroxide blonde, you usually don't have a problem with people looking at you.

I'm really sorry to hear that people have had bad experiences with hair colour stereotypes. :( I would assume that people would be smarter than that and realize that it's not something to be taken seriously. I'm always amazed at how stupid people can be.

Kyla
May 23rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Although I do have my intelligent and nerdy moments (i.e I love to read, and I have been getting into Doctor Who recently), I don't think I fully sit my stereotype. Honestly, sometimes I can be considered the stereotype for blonds...

Point of fact, my mother often tells me that I was born with the wrong hair color. (meaning that I should have been born blond)

growingpains
May 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
I never really thought about it this way, but you're right, to an extent. I dyed my hair black a while back to appear more edgy. Honestly, it suits my personality better, but only people who know me really well would know that.
But also, there is another side to hair dying (dyeing?). Now let me explain... ;)
I was born with blonde hair, but it darkened over time into a medium brown or so. My mom has very dark brown hair, and I am told that my dad had blonde hair. I never got a chance to meet my dad.
Anyway, when my hair got darker, I started dying and highlighting it to keep it blonde. I did it because it made me feel like I had a piece of my dad with me, since he was blonde. I have been told that I have his eyes, so I just liked the idea of having eyes and hair just like my dad's. It was all I had, since other than that I am basically my mom's twin. ;P
Anyway, I was just making the point that there still could be other reasons that one may dye their hair. Obviously since I dyed my hair black, I have grown out of the "be like Dad" stage. But still, dying my hair blonde had nothing to do with trying to fit in with the popular color or whatever, it was much more personal.
Sorry this was so long! ;)

Totally agree! There can be MANY reasons people dye their hair:)

PrincessBob
May 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm a Brunette and my nerdiness is nigh overwhelming, but I wouldn't be able to say I am shy, nor can I say that I'm quiet. I was pretty smart back in the day, but I think I'm about average for my age, now.

newbeginning
May 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
My hair is naturally a reddish colour. I've been told that redheads are "fiery". I think that describes me.

BranwenWolf
May 23rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'm a natural blonde and I'm pretty quiet and withdrawn. I have a tendency to get standoffish if people try to interact with me when I don't want to be chatty. I actually fit a redhead or brunette stereotype more.
I was joking about trying to get a job as a security guard after I get my concealed carry and a gun (in the future) and my mom said "(Branwen)...you can't arrest the entire world." I think that says something about my personality, haha.

As for perception, I feel like I have to try twice as hard not to mess up in public, because then everyone goes "haha look at the dumb blonde!" It really bothers me. I'm not allowed to have stupid moments without everyone going "dumb blonde".

Lux88
May 23rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
I'm a blonde, and I suppose once in a while I fit the typical 'dumb blonde' stereotype.. but I don't think it would be any different if I was a brunette or a redhead, I think I'm just the type of person who says silly things/speaks before speaking too much, and since I happen to be blonde, I get slapped with that stereotype often.

christine1989
May 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
My hair is between black and brown (no idea what color to call that "blown"? "brack"?) and I don't really fit the stereotype much. I definatly have a firey temper like the stereotypical redhead but when it comes to school I'm more of a blonde stereotype- a little oblivious, not the brightest acedemically but usually the one that all the guys in class go for ;).

Firefox7275
May 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
As for perception, I feel like I have to try twice as hard not to mess up in public, because then everyone goes "haha look at the dumb blonde!" It really bothers me. I'm not allowed to have stupid moments without everyone going "dumb blonde".

When I dyed my hair natural golden blonde I found it highly amusing to allow idiots to believe I was the 'classic' ditsy blonde with loose knicker elastic. I am the life and soul of the party, drink like a fish and generally the last one standing which only adds to the illusion. People only try to pick on you or laugh at your expense once, invariably makes them look foolish for believing a stereotype. ;)

I've let guys spend ages trying to pull me only to explain why I wouldn't if they were the last man on earth, or randomly snog their mate with a cheeky wave. Or have them explain a 'complex' concept repeatedly before asking technical questions that goes right over their head. It's particularly amusing if their friends are close by when you hit the punchline. :rollin: