PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to this?

Lux88
May 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
So, I went to see my hair dresser about a month ago for a tiny trim and a few highlights.. and I mentioned to her that the hair around the front of my hair line where my part is (I've always parted it on the right) was starting to look thinner than the rest of the hair on my scalp.

I'm only 22 years old, so I really doubt I'm going bald, and I live a healthy lifestyle... so why is my hair thinning in that one spot in particular and no where else?!

She told me, that since I ALWAYS part my hair there, it's putting stress on that part of my hair and that's what's making it thin out. Maybe I'm gullible, but ever since she told me that a month ago, I've been parting my hair slightly off center now instead my usual deep-right part.

Do you guys know if she's right?

jojo
May 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I dont know if there is any truth in it but my hair is also off centre parted and was a lot thinner here than the rest of my hair. Ive recently cut a fringe/bangs in and its a lot better. Obviously this isnt an option for everybody. Maybe trying to alternate your parting may help.

brunette
May 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
It could be, I always parted mine in the centre and my widow's peak disappeared. Since the start of 2011 I have been parting it off-centre and using castor oil when I remember to, it has filled in a little bit :)
Gentle treatment is the safest bet, and not pulling too tight for updos.

luthein
May 22nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
I just inspected my head, and noticed that all my hair thickness is in the back of the head. My top, by my part, is also a tad thin. It shouldn't be traction alopecia since you're gentle with it.

Kaelee
May 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Is it really thinning or does it just look thinner there because that's where it's parted?

terpentyna
May 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
I part my hair on the left, and it has thinned out on the right.

I posted a question about putting your hair up in the opposite direction causing an issue similar to traction alopecia, and no one seemed to have any issues with that...

proo
May 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
It's definitely conventional wisdom on the subject, makes sense to me that anything always done on one side would cause imbalance. One bazaar advantage of my big crazy mop - no part!

McFearless
May 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Yes! Its called traction alopecia. If you part your hair in the same spot and straighten, curl that section of hair and/or put your hair in tight ponytails or buns that section will be put under a lot of stress. I say that from personal experience and usually that hair never grows back. :(

Annibelle
May 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
I've always been afraid of this, so I try to change up my part every so often. My hair naturally parts in the center, but it doesn't suit my face shape at all, so I almost always part it on the right... but, when I remember, I'll part it on the left after I get out of the shower. No thinning on any of my part areas yet. I'm also 22. Just switch it up once in a while and I think it'll help! :)

wendy51
May 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Put shea butter on it (not much!) for 5 months (before sleeping or else).the morning put a sprtiz of water+aloe vera on it. I used to have that on the edges on the back.Now it's the thickest part o.o

oh yes and massage too!

celebriangel
May 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
As far as I'm aware, it's only true if you do "agressive" styling regularly - blowdrying, straightening, etc - because around the front and your parting will be the places which are repeatedly given the roughest treatment.

However, if you are letting your hair fall in your natural part every day, but not doing any styling...nope, I don't see it.

On the other hand, if you are not parting you hair in your natural part, I have no idea. But usually damage around your parting is to do with styling. Since you are a new LHCer, have you been styling? I know not all of us arrive apologetically putting down the flat irons, but since you have thinning (and go to your stylist regularly) I'll assume you were, in which case, switching your part around (so you focus your styling on a different area) would be a good idea.

A better one would not be doing the styling that is likely causing the thinning in the first place.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
I ran into something about this in Seventeen Magazine when I was a teenager, so ever since then, I've avoided parting my hair in the same place more than a couple of times in a row. I really don't like the look of a straight slash of scalp anyway, so strictly speaking, I don't exactly part it at all. I have no thinning anywhere.

I have noticed that the women around my age who have been parting their hair in the same place for years have wide-looking parts.

happybear
May 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hi there,

It can difinitly happen, it also happened to me.

My stylist told me the same thing several weeks ago. I have noticeably thinned out hair on my right side where I parted it in the same spot for 10 years. I blow-dried it straight every single day, and that's what did it.

I part it on the other side now and am applying castor oil, and no longer styling my hair in hopes that it will regrow.

christine1989
May 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Yep! She is right! Parting it in the same place all the time puts constant stress on the roots in that area not to mention they are always exposed to the sun and UV damage. I usually switch up my part every 3-4 days. This also goes for wearing tight ponytails/updos daily- the hairline always has pressure on the roots and can start to receed.

Madora
May 22nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
YES! Your hairdresser is right!

Think of a farmer crossing his pasture day after day, using the same path.

Within weeks the grass has been trampled down..and weeks after that the grass has eroded away, leaving nothing but bare earth!

You sure don't want that to happen to your hair!

The same thing can happen if you pull your braids/buns/ponytail back too tightly. The very delicate front and side hairs are subjected to too much tension..and they snap! And pretty soon, there's a bare patch where hair used to grow!

Solution: Vary your parts..or don't wear a part!

Calaelen
May 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
As far as I know, with personal experience, and professional training as a stylist, this information is correct.

ericthegreat
May 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
This can indeed happen. If you part your hair in the same spot over and over again, over time the hair around the parting area will start to thin out. This is why you should switch up where you part your hair from time to time. If you normally part your hair in the middle, switch to a side part every now and again, or if you normally part your hair to the right side, then switch to a left sided part or a middle part from time to time. Or, you can also wear your hair fully pulled back in a updo or a half-updo so that it doesn't have a part at all. The thing to remember is to always change it up, never wear the same part or same style for too long at a time.

bumblebums
May 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Yep. Change it up every now and then, and this should fix itself. Whenever you part your hair in the same location or tie it up in the same spot, the wear and tear will eventually add up. So don't! :)

Kristamommyx3
May 22nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Just what I was going to tell you!

Yes! Its called traction alopecia. If you part your hair in the same spot and straighten, curl that section of hair and/or put your hair in tight ponytails or buns that section will be put under a lot of stress. I say that from personal experience and usually that hair never grows back. :(

squiggyflop
May 22nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
where i part my hair has been getting thinner and thinner forever

SheaLynne
May 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Awww, I have this, too, but since I've always had bangs until the last year and a half, I couldn't tell if it was something new or just something I had never noticed due to having bangs. However, I also wear hats alot, so I wondered if it was related to the hats hitting that area more and it just being more exposed now that I do not have bangs. It is making me really sad as I do not want bangs again.

Oh, and I'm also wondering if wearing a topknot cinnabun at night to sleep in is contributing since when I lie down, the bun is going to pull back on that front part of the hair, regardless of how loosely I make the hair in the front?

There's a pic in my updos album that shows my front hairline last summer and you can see the thinning area in the front center. :(

Thanks for posting this question. Let's all keep each other updated on if things improve and what works for us!

happybear
May 23rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
shealynne,

your hairline in that pic is exactly like mine, like the hair rubbed off. Mine is a bit more dramatic because you can see through the hair just above the spot when my hair is pulled back. I never realized how noticeable it was until I wore an updo for a wedding and saw the pics.

The spot on my forehead is super smooth now, so i'm wondering if I killed the follicles completely...*sigh*

celebriangel
May 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
So is this true even if you don't really part your hair, just sorta let it lie where it wants to along the natural part? I normally just wake up and my hair falls into position, then I leave it there. I have tried parting my hair in other places but it's a bit uncomfortable/painful and I cannot get my hair to stay in it for love nor money.

CarpeDM
May 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
So is this true even if you don't really part your hair, just sorta let it lie where it wants to along the natural part? I normally just wake up and my hair falls into position, then I leave it there. I have tried parting my hair in other places but it's a bit uncomfortable/painful and I cannot get my hair to stay in it for love nor money.

This is what happens to me too. My hair naturally goes to the middle so when I try to part it to the side it tends to hurt a little and ends up moving to the middle throughout the day. What can you do?

happybear
May 23rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
I was under the impression that traction alopecia results from constant over-styling. I don't think this would be a problem if your hair parts naturally and you leave it alone.

wavykisses
May 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
This is what happens to me too. My hair naturally goes to the middle so when I try to part it to the side it tends to hurt a little and ends up moving to the middle throughout the day. What can you do?

Mine is the same, I even try to pull it back but and the end
when I undo my updo my hair goes to the middle again

Misti
May 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I ran into something about this in Seventeen Magazine when I was a teenager, so ever since then, I've avoided parting my hair in the same place more than a couple of times in a row. I really don't like the look of a straight slash of scalp anyway, so strictly speaking, I don't exactly part it at all. I have no thinning anywhere.

I have noticed that the women around my age who have been parting their hair in the same place for years have wide-looking parts.

<heh> I may have seen that same issue! And my Mom had a deep, wide, stubborn part that she hated -- so I got in the habit of rarely parting my hair, and then neevr the same way twice. Just in case. I have no "natural part" at this point. FWIW

BabyRay33
May 23rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
I move my part periodically...but since I have a goofy cowlick on the back left side of my head, sometimes it looks like a bald spot but it really isn't. I hateeeeee that cowlick

Lux88
May 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
WOW.
I just came to check this thread after posting it yesterday and I have to say I am shocked by how many other people have had the same problem! I'm not alone! lol

So it is true! Thanks for confirming everyone, I can't believe I didn't know this until recently! I'm definitely gonna start switching it up more often now.

SheaLynne
May 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
shealynne,

your hairline in that pic is exactly like mine, like the hair rubbed off. Mine is a bit more dramatic because you can see through the hair just above the spot when my hair is pulled back. I never realized how noticeable it was until I wore an updo for a wedding and saw the pics.

The spot on my forehead is super smooth now, so i'm wondering if I killed the follicles completely...*sigh*

Yea, mine now looks more like what you've described (can see through the hair around that spot), but I do have some hairs growing back in after switching from 100% CO to scalp washes with shampoo, and rubbing/massaging the area with oil occasionally since January.

I have hope that as I find all the right ways to baby that area that it will fill back in...just very sad since my growing-out bangs are shoulder length now, but I'll have to get the new growth (if I get it!) through all the yucky stages again...I'm with you on the sigh! But hope you find some re-growth, also.

McFearless
May 23rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
I was under the impression that traction alopecia results from constant over-styling. I don't think this would be a problem if your hair parts naturally and you leave it alone.

If your hair parts naturally and you leave your hair down I don't see the problem. That is no different from combing a part wherever you like. But if you hair naturally parts in the middle or you create it and you then put it up in a bun or pony every single day that spot will be stressed. It also depends on how tight your styles are.

happybear
May 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Yea, mine now looks more like what you've described (can see through the hair around that spot), but I do have some hairs growing back in after switching from 100% CO to scalp washes with shampoo, and rubbing/massaging the area with oil occasionally since January.

I have hope that as I find all the right ways to baby that area that it will fill back in...just very sad since my growing-out bangs are shoulder length now, but I'll have to get the new growth (if I get .

I am using castor oil, and CO washing. Not styling, though I do have to pull it my hair back because it is at a weird ugly length. I have seen no regrowth at all yet, but i have only just started about a week ago.

kwaniesiam
May 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM

You can train your hair to part in a different place. Best done when wet, use a fine toothed or rattail comb and trace the part line, then tie your hair back or put it in a braid and allow it to dry that way. Leave the part in place and keep moving it back to that spot if it tries to shift again on its own. After a while your hair will start to go there naturally instead.

Tuntenut
May 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
*le gasp* This is completely new information to me. Very nice to know as I've actually been trying to force my hair to part in th esame place every day, but as usual my hair know what's best for it and rebeled. I should let it have its wicked way more often,l even if it means a part that makes me look like Queen Victoria.

happybear
May 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
Tuntenut,

It really sucks, don't let this happen to you! I wish I had known years ago, and I wish a stylist would have told me sooner. I may have a permanent bald/thin spot forever, I have read that prolonged traction alopecia can kill the hair follicles and no hairs will grow again.

PrincessBob
May 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
For my birthday hair-do (sorry , no pics) I made a deep side part on the left and the place of my part there did look a bit more thickly filled than my normal part in the center... so, I guess I don't know.

tinti
May 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Wow, this sounds scary!! I'm going to try to train my hair to part on the right side instead of in the midle or on the left now :p But I've wondered a long time, can you like train your hair to have no part at all? Like, when you pull your hair back in a braid or whatever updo you want and you want your front unparted? I've tried "unparting" my front for updos many times, even wet, but it just doesn't wanna work. I don't tend to wear tight dos, it is just too uncomfy.

CarpeDM
May 24th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Wow, this sounds scary!! I'm going to try to train my hair to part on the right side instead of in the midle or on the left now :p But I've wondered a long time, can you like train your hair to have no part at all? Like, when you pull your hair back in a braid or whatever updo you want and you want your front unparted? I've tried "unparting" my front for updos many times, even wet, but it just doesn't wanna work. I don't tend to wear tight dos, it is just too uncomfy.

I was wondering the same thing, how can you have no part at all? Maybe that happens when you have really thick hair??

tinti
May 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I have really (ok, not really, I'm a iii with a 4,7 pony circ) thick hair and my hair loves its part. When I washed today I parted my hair on the right, I think I'll try to do that for a while so that I won't get that alopecia thing :p I have'nt tried putting it up like that now, my hair is in twin french braids, so it's all parted nicely, but I'll try tomorrow maybe :) One thing I noticed when parting at the right side was it was almost impossible to get a part there, I had to try 3-4 times. Maybe it's because my hair is thicker on that side or just because my hairline is weird or because I have a couple of "spots" on my left where I've allways parted it. I don't know.

brunette
May 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
In the past whenever I have tried to train my hair not to part, it has naturally parted (even from freshly washed!) I guess that's a natural part for you... I just today decided to part slightly to the other side of centre today. I'll try to switch it around a bit :D Still avoiding centre because I finally got my widow's peak to fill back in a bit :)

Chetanlaiho
May 24th, 2011, 01:06 PM

I never quite understood the natural part, well part xD my hair is very rebellious when it comes to texture (if I curl it, it goes wavy, if I straighten it, guess what, it goes wavy xD) but it'll pretty much lie any way I want it to on my scalp, I never even heard of a 'natural' part before I found this forum ^^;