PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a haircut

ashamanjababu
May 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Maybe 5" or so off my waist-length hair just need to go. They're dry and yucky and I want a smooth hemline. And I want my ends dyed to match my roots; I'm sick of the sun-bleached effect in my otherwise dark brown hair.

The problem? I haven't had anyone else cut my hair since I was 12. I've never even been inside a "grown-up" salon, and I have no idea how to navigate that world. I don't even know if they will do what I ask. I'm planning to go to the local Aveda salon because I like their products, otherwise I would have no idea how you even find the right place.

Tips for avoiding trauma?

WittyWordsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
I suggest being EXTREMELY vocal with your stylist about where you've been, why you're there, and what your goals are. Stress to her the importance of why you want what you do and what your hair means to you. Let her know your fear and that it's the first time you're doing this. Make sure she doesn't have any questions about it, and be sure to address any that she asks you throughout the process.

Don't be afraid to speak up if you have a concern, and don't simply agree with everything she's doing just because you're intimidated.

What you want is fairly simple, and I don't foresee you having any issues at the salon. However, if you notice her doing something like taking off too much length or you don't like the shade she's choosing for the dye, definitely speak up!

spidermom
May 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Or you can try self-trimming. That way you can do maybe 1/2 inch at a time until you are comfortable with the technique and have trimmed only the amount that you want.

luthein
May 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
You're at a length where you could self-trim very easily. There are a few tutorials or videos on YT that you could watch.

I used to have my hair cut at Cost Cutters, and I found that they were the most accommodating. I didn't want them to shampoo my hair, and I had them show me how much they were going to take off before they made the trim. For me, the cheaper the salon, the better the results.

The last time I walked into an upscale salon, the woman scrubbed my scalp so hard she made a portion of it bleed. I yelled "OW! STOP IT!" She told me it was dirty and it had to be done. I said "we're done here" and walked out with super wet hair and called in a complaint.

lesbia
May 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I don't want to go to a salon because I am afraid they will cut too much, they will stress my hair, and so on. I prefer a self-trim. In this way I can cut off exactly the lenght I want. For me it's the best way and the most secure one for my hair!
If you must go to a salon I think you should talk to the hairdresser and say that he MUST be carrefull with your hair!

Nymphea
May 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'd go for a self trim. No salon frights in that case, no unexpected situations and no uncomfortable feelings. It would be just you and your hair, and you could decide exactly how much you want to cut, and whether you want to cut it in one time, or gradually, inch by inch, which may be more comfortable, especially if you are not sure how much you want to cut.

Tell us what you've decided!

ashamanjababu
May 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
I've been self-trimming for years, and I have never been really happy with the results. As for home dye jobs. . . ick. I've done lots of those too and I still suck at it.

I've gone between BSL and waist a lot over the past 15 years, so I know that as long as it's not above BSL, I won't mind too much.

I guess I just have to be confident and prepared to possibly walk out if things go bad! I think I can do that. Not much seems scary any more after natural childbirth. ;)

Mesmerise
May 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Honestly, getting what you want shouldn't be too bad if you are very specific about your needs. If you can demonstrate exactly how much you want off the ends (instead of just saying 5", show with your fingers so there's no confusing... I am sure many hairdressers just aren't very good estimating lengths... at least in my experience...so I make it VERY CLEAR).

elbow chic
May 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
I've had generally good experiences with salons. The stylist will ask what you'd like today, so just tell her exactly what you are wanting: "a one-length cut, no shorter than X, no longer than Y. NO LAYERS." (for example.)

I really think a lot of the problems people-in-general have with salons is their inability to express exactly what it is they want. Stylist isn't a mind-reader-- she can only work with what you tell her.

And don't forget to leave a tip. :D

I also agree that cheaper places can be great for simple one-length cuts or trims. I think sometimes the upscale-type places feel that have an artistic reputation to uphold and they'll override what you say you want in favor of what they think you should want.

akuamoonmaui
May 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Maybe call different salons and ask if they are "long hair friendly"? See who's response you like best. Geez, we does going to a salon feel like we're dealing with used car salespeople? (Just the stereo type mind you, no offense to car salespeople on this site).

McFearless
May 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
If you want to avoid sun bleaching in the future you have options. Wearing hats and scarves, keeping your length lightly coated in leave-in conditioner/oil, and wearing buns.

As for trimming, like spidermom said, you could do it yourself. A lot of people are fond of Feye's method. Could the real Feye please stand up?

If you're going to a salon I agree with WittyWordsmith. Be very clear with the stylist. Show them with your fingers what you want and how much length you cut off. Saying "five inches" is a little vague. Be clear and don't be afraid to stop the stylist if they are ignoring you.