PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged while growing! :/

abritta3
May 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hi all
I am growing out my curls because I got a baaaad cut back a couple months ago. I am also growing out my bangs too since they're too short to look right curly.

I get very discouraged because I want longer hair NOW & sometimes when I get this way I become tempted to straighten (since my hair is about 4inches longer when straight)

I want to grow out healthy hair though so straightening hasn't even become an option in my mind anymore

So I was wondering how any of you have coped with growing out a bad cut? I cannot stand the way it looks down at all and I am so tempted to straighten my bangs because even if I left my hair curly, I always straightened the bangs...

How to cope? That is the question! I estimate that if I leave my hair alone long enough by November I should feel happier about the length ... that's not so far away, right? :/

Annibelle
May 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Can you pin the bangs back? My hair is straight, but when my bangs were cut too short to be flattering, I kept them pinned back until they got longer.

RuLueashk
May 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hair toys!

Mina17
May 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM
I absolutely know how you feel!! I am very discouraged with my hair too. I got a bad haircut back in November that set me way back. But I have found that sometimes even an inch of growth can make a huge difference in how your hair lays. And if all else fails, put it up so you can't see it.:)

Theobroma
May 22nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
You don't say how much you had cut off. Do you have enough length to put it up? I find that's the best way to grow past a stage I'm not happy with -- put it up and forget it. Preferably with some really nice hairtoys! :)

Bangs are awkward to grow out, especially for curlies, but you can use tiny claw clips or something similar to keep them out of your face until they're long enough to go into an updo or a ponytail. Hang in there, it does get better!

LunaMoon
May 22nd, 2011, 09:23 AM
I am in the same boat, my hair is not growing as fast as I want!
I didn't cut my hair, so I think is just breaking at the ends.
Hair toys are my best friends as this moment. It is funny to try new hair styles when you are waiting....

miss_purple
May 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Henna made my hair less wurly... so it seems longer. :)

luthein
May 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Keep it out of sight, out of mind! Clip it, bun it, use a scarf or wrap. It will also protect your hair from mechanical damage and environmental damage. You could also use a drop of oil or leave-in on the ends, and tuck them inside the style for extra TLC.

Cassia killed my waves, which I didn't care for. It may help weigh your curl down without depositing permanent color.

LadieRyrie
May 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yup, yup.

I, too, am growing out a bad layered job and bangs. I'm also trying WO, so imagine it. Bad cut, awkward-lengthed bangs, and greasy hair. XP
When I look in the mirror, I can't decide whether to laugh or cry.

If I start out fresh, I would have to cut my hair above my shoulders, and I spent way too much time trying to grow past that to cut it all off again. Meh.

cowgirllong
May 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Does your hair hold its curl when you brush it? I can brush the curl out of my hair, but it isn't near as curly as yours. I know that some people can make their hair dry straighter with out heat. I think they let it dry in a bun. I would definitely pin the bangs back while they grow out. I think we have all had a bad cut and can commiserate...

alyanna
May 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Henna made my hair less wurly... so it seems longer. :)

Good suggestion! I might be going for that very soon ... although I'm gonna go for Cassia cuz I don't want the color just yet (what with some blonde/very blonde highlights that I don't want to be orange).

Curly/wurly hair looks very strange at some lengths, especially when the cut is not right.

alyanna
May 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Does your hair hold its curl when you brush it? I can brush the curl out of my hair, but it isn't near as curly as yours. I know that some people can make their hair dry straighter with out heat. I think they let it dry in a bun. I would definitely pin the bangs back while they grow out. I think we have all had a bad cut and can commiserate...

Or do a wrap. Used to do those all the time back in the day. Don't know where the description for that is, but it really works for my hair. You flip your head upside down, brush thoroughly, then bobby pin the left section to the right side and right section to the left. After a while, you can take out and do the reverse, start by pinning the right section left and the left section right.

A couple of hours later, straighter (albeit frizzy in my case) hair!

gogirlanime
May 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Some ladies here taught me how to hair-wrap http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69319 try what I did :)

McFearless
May 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
I agree with keeping it out of sight. If you feel the need to straighten you could try the wrapping method or maybe just lightly straighten the bangs only? If you want to speed up your growth you could try castor oil, monistat, cardio exercise, and/or scalp massages if you haven't already.