PDA

View Full Version : Conundrum: Blonde and CO

Jimothea
May 21st, 2011, 08:00 PM
I've been CO for about four or five months, after a few solid months of CWC, and just yesterday I actually caught a look at my hair on a clarifying day. I didn't use a sulfate shampoo, but it was shampoo nonetheless (I usually just "clarify" with brown sugar)... and my blonde hair, the natural blonde part, not the fried-and-bleached part, looked so completely different that I about fell over.

The color [of my roots] was much more...hmmm...warm, I guess? I dunno; that's not quite the best description, but it was definitely a more flattering tone on me than on plain CO days. Less dingey, maybe...though that's not quite right either. I didn't notice a difference on the fried part, but the top was a MUCH better color.

I have to wash almost every day b/c of scalp issues, and I'd like to avoid frequent shampooing. I, my hair and my scalp all love CO and I probably won't give it up just to have a more flattering hair tone, but still...

Any other CO blondes/fair hair colors who've noticed this, and figured out a way around it? I'm assuming the color looked so different because I was stripping the oils and moisture I gain from COing...? Tricks? Tips?

Oksana
May 22nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
I have been CO'ing for 3 weeks and haven't noticed any difference in hair colour yet, maybe it's something that happens with longer use...

I will be watching this thread..:drama:

Lilli
May 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
I am a natural blonde and I definitely cannot CO for that reason. In fact, I have to wash every day - not for oiliness - but b/c any residue or dirt or even pollution dulls my hair. My hair turns dull, darker, almost reddish.

jojo
May 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
When my hair was all virgin dark blond I noticed reddy hues to my hair when CO washing. I do have natural reds in my hair but the CO brought them out. White vinegar rinses help stop this. ACV will also give reddy hues if your doing a final rinse with that.

Jimothea
May 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
I do use ACV every wash (CO & clarifying days alike, but I use it mid shower, not at the end), unless I forget, but the difference I noticed after clarifying wasn't necessarily a difference of red tones.... more honeyed? Brighter? Still not sure what to call it.

Having said that, I've no doubt ACV tints my hair a tiny bit, but my hair already leans toward that spectrum, so I don't think the tint is at all noticeable. And yup; pollution, smoke, all that stuff makes my hair a bit muddy, but until now I'd thought I was washing that stuff out with CO washes, since my hair certainly looks cleaner and brighter after CO washing than dirty hair. Now that I've paid attention to the tone after clarifying, I'm not quite sure what to think.

Wish I'd taken pictures, but of course I didn't. *sigh*

Lilli, what's your routine now?

luthein
May 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have a very moody blonde hair color. When I go a long time between washes (about 4-5 days for me) the oils in my hair make it look very very dark blonde. After I wash it, the color is medium blonde.

It reminds me of my hair color when it's wet.

Lilli
May 23rd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Lilli, what's your routine now?

Daily Washing ~ Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bar ~ Giovanni 50/50 Conditioner ~ Lemon Juice Rinse ~ Argan Oil