PDA

View Full Version : Brassy Color

xoerincolleen
May 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
I have never dyed my hair before, but it has gotten quite a bit of sun over the past few years. It's always been relatively light, but in the past year or so it has gotten a lot blonder and can often look brassy, especially in sunlight or with a camera flash (see my avatar picture). I don't mind too much, I usually like my hair color, but it can look weird in some lights and sometimes it looks like I'm growing out bad highlights...depends on the lighting. I want to make it less obvious, especially with summer fast approaching.

I've read on here that a purple shampoo can help combat this. I always thought purple shampoo was for white hair, though, to keep it from looking yellow. Has anyone tried it for brassy tones? There was a thread on here the other day that mentioned it, but I couldn't find it in the search, my apologies. If so, did it work? Does anyone have any recommendations for other methods to reduce brassiness and also prevent further brassy tones?

clichepithet
May 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
A good, solid clarifying shampoo or a blue/violet 'poo have always worked well for me. For either the brassies or the ashies, but my hair is simply prone to these tones because that's just how my hair is. But like I said, those kinds of 'poos can brighten it up a bit.

ETA: Though I suppose it bears pointing out that my hair is lighter than yours. So perhaps my input is moot.

growingpains
May 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
My hair goes brassy when dyed and from the sun too, which is weird cause my roots are always ashy naturally.

I highly advocate blue/violet shampoo (or preferably conditioner if you can find it at a hair store as the shampoo is a bit drying).

It should deposit a very, very slight ashy tone, which if you use often will build up a bit and help reduce brassiness. The results won't be drastic since you're not blond or white haired, but it'll for sure help and your hair is light enough to take the deposits.

Also, maybe start using product with UV protector in the summer to avoid this in the future?

xoerincolleen
May 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
clichepithet, I've tried using clarifying shampoo and it hasn't done anything to the color. I will be looking for a good purple shampoo/conditioner.

growingpains, do you have any recommendations for a UV hair protector?

Thank you both!