PDA

View Full Version : Do you think using a comb to gently massage your scalp is hair friendly?

shikara
May 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM
I tried this the other night because it was much easier working the tines to my scalp than using my fingers to wiggle through my hair to the scalp. If this is done fairly gently with a seamless comb, do you see a problem?

clairenewcastle
May 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM
I used to do this years ago in the hope of encouraging hair growth. The hair growth never happened, all I done was pull extra hairs out.

celebriangel
May 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Well, I think a lot of the WO people do this to exfoliate their scalp, so I don't see why it would be damaging. As long as the tines are large and blunt - I wouldn't use one with sharp or small tines, or a fine-tooth comb which might cause tangles - I think this is a nice way to give yourself a scalp massage. I certainly love brushing my scalp firmly with my tangle teezer.

Madora
May 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
I don't see any problem with this method, provided the tips of the comb are seamless and not rough or sharp. Just do it slowly..and in one direction first. Then "scritch" in the other direction. The more you can directi the motion of your comb, the less problem with tangles you'll have.

Personally, I just grab my bbb and gently massage my scalp with it (I hold it with both hands and bear down on the handle and "scritch" 5 times in one spot, then move the brush slightly and "scritch" again (in the same direction). "Scritching" up, then sideways, then down is a sure way to get the strands riled up..and maybe tangled. Go slowly..enjoy the sensation of the bristles (or comb teeth) on your scalp!

Delila
May 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'm with Madora, I prefer a BBB for this kind of thing, but I have used a small horn comb (very smooth), and it worked okay for me.

squiggyflop
May 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM
i scratch the heck out of my scalp with combs.. what does it do? makes my scalp less flakey. it also helps remove flakes before i wash my hair

spidermom
May 21st, 2011, 07:35 PM
I like to bend forward with my hair falling toward the floor and comb my scalp all over (in one direction only). It feels so good, and I think it's nothing but beneficial.

christine1989
May 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
My comb has such wide teeth it dosen't do much as far as scalp massage goes. Worse yet I sometimes hear a noise like a guitar strin snapping- that can't be a good sign. I have way better results with a bbb since the bristles are softer than a plastic comb and there are more of them.

pelicano
May 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I tried this out today with my Tangle Teezer. I always have to go over my scalp well, as I have seborrheic dermatitis, and I worry about damage. Will see how this goes...

Chiara
May 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I also get a flaky scalp from both dryness and SD. I use a Body Shop wooden brush, and gently press the brush into my scalp with a slight rocking motion (you can do this because the brush 'bristles' are embedded in a cushioned rubber base), so there is no pulling or tugging of my hair. Feels absolutely lovely, and deals with any flakes that are sticking to my scalp, so then I can brush them out. I find this way less damaging then using my fingernails, which always seems to make things much worse (perhaps because I don't know when to stop...) :demon:

Venefica
May 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I would recommend getting one of these. Do however spend a little money on them, do not go cheap on deal extreme. The cheap ones can have sharp edges, uneven knobs that catch hair and so on, go with a good quality one and you have something milder on your scalp than a comb and allot more effective.

These can also be used to stimulate the meridians. I once went to an alternative therapy convention, one of my shoulders where acting up, it was just barely so I managed to go, and there need to be allot to keep me away from the yearly Alternative Convention in Bergen. I sat down with a man demonstrating a device like this, he used it on my scalp and down my back and it felt like heaven. When I got up one minute later there where not a trance of pain in my shoulders he used the device for Chi manipulation. I own I think it is 5 of these now, two good quality ones, two cheap ones from DX and one motorized one that I have worn the motor out on which is waiting for repairs.

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/7/scalp-massager/

ladyfey
May 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I use a shampoo brush, they are cheap and amazon.com has them.

JuliaDancer
May 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
For my scalp, I just press down a little harder with my nylon/boar bristle Mason Pearson brush in small sweeps in one direction. I have a smaller one that has only boar bristles as well, but the little nylon teeth just feel so good! Their brushes also have cushions, so the bristles can sort of conform to the shape of your head. The brushes are pretty expensive, but my dad's had his for over 30 years and he's very rough with it and doesn't take care of it at all. The handle finally snapped off this year, but he still uses it. It's the military style version!