PDA

View Full Version : Hair protection and lightening from the sun

et--cetera
May 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
So, I want my hair to lighten a bit from the sun because I get wonderful natural highlights that way but I don't want to incur a ton of damage. How do you go about protecting your hair and have you seen any lightening effects from any methods? I ask because I know about wearing a hat but I'm going to be making trips to a water park this summer many times and they don't allow hats on the rides.

Also, how do you get rid of hair on your arms without shaving it, is there a lotion or something that diminishes the hair? Off topic from original question but I didn't want to make two topics so close to one another.

vanillabones
May 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'd love to know about both as well. I'll be going to water and theme parks all summer and my hair is prone to sunbleaching which I don't mind as long as it's not going to be ruined.

I shave my arms and it's really annoying to do I'd love to know if there's a lotion or cream that actually works despite really fair sensitive skin :P I can't leave them unshaved I swear I have more arm hair than DBF

So I'm basically just doubling your questions! Someone help us haha

et--cetera
May 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM
oh please oh please someone!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this question, haha.

Madora
May 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM
My hair is my main adornment. The sun is kept at bay except for brief period of time.

Sun protection is easy..wear a WHITE hat or cotton scarf. It is not worth ruining your hair because you want highlights. The sun can suck the moisture right out of your roots..not to mention burn your scalp and ruin the acid mantle.

If you wish highlights, then make an appointment at a salon..or do it yourself. Don't subject your fragile scalp and hair to the whims of the sun! (Not to mention the UV rays and heaven knows what else!)

oktobergoud
May 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
Not sure if you are using cones, but if you do, I suggest trying a sunspray for hair! It will probably not give you the highlights you want, but it will protect your hair from the sun. I always use one for the summer, I think you can get them at Sally's or something like that :P
It will protect your hair from UV rays!

growingpains
May 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Lotsa shampoos and condish these days come with UV protection! Or some sort of UV product (but personally I find that greasy and heavy).

As for arm hairs, I'd suggest nair as a hair removal cream (though personally don't use it) or mild body bleach to lighten arm hairs (can be found in shaving section at drug store). I just go au natural though, but my arm hair is blond.

Kathie
May 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
I’ve read a tone of magazine articles that suggest coating your hair with conditioner before a day at the beach etc. Perhaps a heavy coconut oiling would be just as good?
For my arms I use an epilator- once its done I don’t have to worry about it again for a while and there’s no stubbly regrowth like you can get with shaving or hair removal creams.

et--cetera
May 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
I’ve read a tone of magazine articles that suggest coating your hair with conditioner before a day at the beach etc. Perhaps a heavy coconut oiling would be just as good?
For my arms I use an epilator- once its done I don’t have to worry about it again for a while and there’s no stubbly regrowth like you can get with shaving or hair removal creams.
oh, this is a good idea something natural for the hair. Would EVOO work as well do you think or should I just do coconut?

Kisa
May 21st, 2011, 04:11 PM
I've always wondered about sun protection for hair! Especially now when summer is coming up.
Does someone know if conditioner works as protection or atleast moisturizes the hair?

dulce
May 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Wear a hat! Also if you oil your hair first then bun it,then put a floppy hat on, you get the warmth of the sun which gives you a hot oil treatment naturally without sun damage.I say wear a hat as I got sun cancer on my cheek,luckily it was early and was removed leaving no scar but if not caught in time the treatment can cause massive disfiguration on the face,sometimes with several surgeries and reconstructions needed. The top of the head is also a common place to develop skin cancer. I never expected to get skin cancer.I was not a sun worshiper.

et--cetera
May 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Wear a hat! Also if you oil your hair first then bun it,then put a floppy hat on, you get the warmth of the sun which gives you a hot oil treatment naturally without sun damage.I say wear a hat as I got sun cancer on my cheek,luckily it was early and was removed leaving no scar but if not caught in time the treatment can cause massive disfiguration on the face,sometimes with several surgeries and reconstructions needed. The top of the head is also a common place to develop skin cancer. I never expected to get skin cancer.I was not a sun worshiper.

I would wear a hat, but its not allowed at the park on the rides as mentioned.

GourmetChica
May 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM

Yes! A good wide brimmed hat is essential!

As for UV protecting products, here are a few options:

Kerastase has an entire range, Soleil, for UV protection and treatment. I've been lemming this product myself: http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/soleil-huile_celeste.htm

There are also multiple products and brands to choose from, Follica.com has an entire section to browse: http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-protection-products/uv-sun-protection-products

I actually think both is a great idea, because if you are active outside, hiking etc, you may want the option to take a break from the hat occasionally.

UV exposure is horrible for our hair, it can permanently destroy protein bonds.

That said, I would not freak out with small bits of limited exposure in moderation!

Mesmerise
May 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Hmm I have never really given that much thought to sun protection for my hair! However, reading the replies here, maybe I should?! (I always figured it was the dyeing and artificial heat that damaged my hair, not the sun).

As for arm hair...well I've never personally removed arm hair (don't really need to), but if I did I would go for waxing or one of those things that removes the hair by the roots (I had a friend who did that). That would prevent stubble and would remove the hair for longer, and it wouldn't grow back quite as stubbly either.

dulce
May 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
If floppy hats are not allowed on rides how about a scarf tied around as a wide headband?

Madora
May 22nd, 2011, 07:38 PM
The hat or scarf you wear should be WHITE, if possible. Deters the sun better than a colored hat or scarf.