PDA

View Full Version : Eeeew. . . mildew

ashamanjababu
May 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
I usually use a bamboo brush like this (http://www.oliviagarden.com/healthyhair.htm) and a plain plastic wide-tooth comb. They both get grey gunk regularly, which I have assumed is mildew, and cleaned off with a nail brush and/or alcohol.

Today I was brushing my dry hair with a clean comb and noticed that the gunk was coming out of my hair and building back up on the comb. Eew. Either it's just a build-up of oil and dust/lint, or it really is mildew living in my hair which I don't even like to think about.

Help?

Fingolphin
May 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM
I have heard of people's hair mildewing and even rotting when left wet for a very long time, like bunned up wet and left for days. :hmm:

DoubleCrowned
May 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
If it is sticky, it could be sebum.

Yosha
May 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Sebum has a white grayish color, and I think that is what you are finding on your brush and comb.

virgo75
May 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, could be sebum. Or if you comb/brush your hair really hard(especially while wet) you could be taking skin off of your scalp.

ashamanjababu
May 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
But I thought sebum was skin oil. This stuff looks a bit more fluffy.

ashamanjababu
May 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Besides, even if it is just sebum, I think I might have too much and I don't know what to do about that!

Elysium
May 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
It might well be dust/fluff stuck together with sebum. If you wash and dry your hair thoroughly, you're quite unlikely to get mildew :D

Coffeebug
May 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
I think it's most likely bits of towel, pillow and clothing fibres, dust, possibly slight build up depending what products you use and sebum. I think most people get a bit of guff on their comb so if it doesn't smell fusty then I think you can safely assume it's not mildew.

pepperminttea
May 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
I get the same stuff on my combs and brushes; I'm fairly sure mine's sebum. It doesn't seem to have caused me any harm, and it comes off easily enough with shampoo and an old toothbrush.

pinkbunny
May 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
I agree with pepperminttea - mine is sometimes dark, but I think it's just lint fibres and possibly buildup from shampoo/conditioner/oilings... I clean them regularly, and if my combs seem to get dirty too quickly I make sure to do a deep clarifying cleanse the next time around.

bunzfan
May 21st, 2011, 03:05 PM
I agree with the others, i get this to and i think its a sort of build up.

spidermom
May 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I also think it's dust and lint mixed with sebum. I get this on my wooden comb regularly and clean it every couple of weeks.

Anje
May 21st, 2011, 04:07 PM
When I started WO and was dealing with a lot of sebum, it was often grayish. (Eventually turned white, probably as I got better at cleansing with that method.) The fuzz is probably lint. What I call "mildew" usually isn't fluffy anyway.

lacefrost
May 21st, 2011, 04:44 PM
I get the same stuff too but I find that mine is dust/fluff. If your hair was mildewing, you'd smell it.

Kaelee
May 21st, 2011, 06:45 PM
Dust/lint/skin flakes...I've always got gray dust in my brushes, not in my comb because it's easier to clean. I never once thought it might be mildew. Pretty sure my hair doesn't do that as I wash it EVERY day.

santie
May 21st, 2011, 07:36 PM
I think it's just sebum. I normally boil water, pour it in a bowl, mix in some shampoo, and soak my brush in it for a couple of hours. It gets all the gunk out!

Sereia
May 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
you can try using a clarifying shampoo, or do a scalp scrub.
I scrub my scalp with a mix of olive oil, honey and sugar, and I think it helps me..
I think that in great amounts, this sebum can obstruct the pores on your scalp, and it's not good, your scalp needs to breath.
The exfoliation may rip this excess off..

Dark Queen
May 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Is your scalp ever itchy and flaky in addition to the sebum? I'm wondering if it might be a result of dandruff. Also, what kind of shampoo are you using?

mwedzi
May 22nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
That has happened to me when I comb my hair dirty and use conditioner. It's all the product buildup and stuff, not mildew.

frizzinator
May 22nd, 2011, 05:06 AM
All products leave some residue on the scalp. When it combines with sebum it looks like what you are describing.

I have not used products or oil for several years. After I stopped using products, I never saw gunk on my comb or brush again.

ashamanjababu
May 22nd, 2011, 07:02 AM
I don't think it's dandruff. I get occasional itchies, and usually have a few teeny skin flakes if I scratch, but my scalp is usually more oily than dry. Currently I'm using Giovanni organic shampoo and conditioner.

I think I'll do a sugar scrub and see it it helps with the excess.

Thanks!

Dark Queen
May 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
I don't think it's dandruff. I get occasional itchies, and usually have a few teeny skin flakes if I scratch, but my scalp is usually more oily than dry. Currently I'm using Giovanni organic shampoo and conditioner.

I think I'll do a sugar scrub and see it it helps with the excess.

Thanks!

Ah I see, then. That sounds about right. Let us know how it turns out :)

Toothe
May 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Do you use cones? I used to get all kinds of gunk on my brush like what you're describing when I was using a coney leave-in. When I went cone-free, it stopped. No wonder I never got results like I wanted with all the coney stuff I used--all that gunk was coating my hair too!