PDA

View Full Version : Curly Frizz and Tangles

KellyGormley
May 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
My hair is naturally very curly, but is quite short and I'm noticing I have a lot of problems keeping it from tangling and the curls from frizzing and falling apart. So my hair looks great if I do it, if I let it dry naturally its a frizzy mess, but its always a big tangled disaster the next day and I just don't have the time to wash and do my hair every morning. Any suggestions on keeping away frizz and tangles to keep my curls curly and not matted? Its summer and Ill probably wear it up a lot but I would love to be able to wear it down too.

Sookie
May 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

;)

Madora
May 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM
Because of its structure, curly hair is prone to major tangling and breakage.

Do yourself a favor! Only wear it down on special occasions. Wearing it down always invites all kinds of tangle problems..and the more tangles, the more damage, as you have probably found out!

If at all posible, try a half up.

Part your hair horizontally from the top of one ear to the other.

Gently detangle the hair above the part.

Put detangled hair in a small hair friendly barrette, then section the hair held in the barrette into 3 sections. Braid each section 3/4ths of the way down. Secure ends with hair friendly elastic.

If you know how to French braid your hair, then I'd suggest a French braid down the center of the back of your head (using the English or Dutch variations).

Re: Frizz..if it is caused by static electricity, then use the palms of both hands and pull them down over the strands several times.

You might want to try a tiny bit of coconut oil (rubbed between the palms of your hands then applied sparingly to all your hair).

I cannot emphasize this enough for people with curly hair...you must be extra careful when detangling. Use a WIDE TOOTH COMB, start at the bottom of the strands and work up SLOWLY to the scalp.

Use a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon!) and follow each motion of the brush with the palm of your other hand. GO SLOWLY..do not rake the brush through your hair.

Good luck!

lapushka
May 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM
There's the CG method for curly girls that says to leave a little to a lot of conditioner in the hair after washing (before squeezing the water out). How much conditioner you leave in will depend on your needs; time will tell. This along with some styling gel (no alcohol, no silicone), will eliminate frizz as much as possible.

I'm sorry, Madora, but a BBB... on curly hair (or any regular brush except for the tangle teezer)? I don't think so. :) You have seen what that does to the curly girls around here by now, right? :o

Athena's Owl
May 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM
First - you have to face the fact that you aren't going to be able to wear your hair down every day.

second - you should probably look and the CO washing thread and the Curly and Wurly thread. Caring for curly hair is very different than caring for straight hair, and when you learn how to do it you'll find that your frizz problems will go away.

GRU
May 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM
First - you have to face the fact that you aren't going to be able to wear your hair down every day.

second - you should probably look and the CO washing thread and the Curly and Wurly thread. Caring for curly hair is very different than caring for straight hair, and when you learn how to do it you'll find that your frizz problems will go away.

^^^^ What Athena's Owl said, completely! ^^^^

Intotouch
May 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
To help to keep my hair from tangles i find aloe vera gel helps. On my hair anyway it soaks in at night and in the morning i have far less tangles than normal. Also rapeseed oil is a great detangler for me. As well as putting it in dry tangly hair before trying to comb/finger comb out i put a bit on damp hair freshly washed. It helps to cut down on frizz then. If you find the oil that suits your hair this is a useful way to apply it. Satin sleep caps or pillows help too.

I alternate between cwc and co as my scalp does get greasy but it definitely helps the hair be less dry and tangle prone.

I don't know if these would suit your hair of course. Good luck and let us know if you find something else that helps.

Anje
May 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Satin pillowcase or a satin sleep bonnet will go a long way in making sure your hair looks similar when you get up to how it did the night before. At least you won't get new pillow-frizz.