PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros and cons of having layered hair?

iluvmurphie
May 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to LHC, and I love it here! I love to glean from all your knowledge! Anyway, I've recently started really paying attention to my hair and the way that I treat it. So far, I'm experimenting with different conditioners and CO'ing, and being careful with what I use to put it up (ie- not using elastics that could snag). Now, as I continue along my hair-growing journey, I was wondering what kind of "style" to keep my hair in. Right now my hair is at BSL, and I'm aiming for somewhere between waist and TBL. HOWEVER, my hair is layered right now, and I'm thinking that maybe I might want to have it all one length? (Or at least just have really long layers?) My layers are bugging me because when I want to try braids, it thins out so much at the end....I don't know. Sorry. I'm rambling.
What are the pros and cons, in your opinion of having layers?

HintOfMint
May 20th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Pros: It looks "done" when it's loose and if your hair is a bit wavy, it can bring out the waves and look like "cosmo-hair."

Cons: You have to deal with tapered braids and little spiky ends that stick out of updos.

BlueMuse
May 20th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Personally, I don't like blunt hemlines. I just prefer fairytale looking ends. But that's really a personal thing. My braids taper pretty hard, but it doesn't bother me.

iluvmurphie
May 20th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Thank you both for your replies.
Yeah, I guess I'm a little bothered by my tapered ends, and how my hair sticks out of my updos and braids. I just personally love the look of thick braids that are uniform in width. What I'm trying to decide right now is whether or not to keep my layers. My longest layer is at BSL, but my shortest layer is at a little longer than shoulder. Should I just grow it out then decide later? Or chop a bunch off (horror of horrors) and then slowly grow out everything as one length? decisions, decisions!

BlueMuse
May 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM
If the idea of cutting it off "horrifies" you maybe just let it be :). Of course I'm not the best unbiased source of information since I'm going to get my layers re-cut next Thursday.

HintOfMint
May 20th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Thank you both for your replies.
Yeah, I guess I'm a little bothered by my tapered ends, and how my hair sticks out of my updos and braids. I just personally love the look of thick braids that are uniform in width. What I'm trying to decide right now is whether or not to keep my layers. My longest layer is at BSL, but my shortest layer is at a little longer than shoulder. Should I just grow it out then decide later? Or chop a bunch off (horror of horrors) and then slowly grow out everything as one length? decisions, decisions!

It depends on your texture and how thick your hair is. If the longest layer is looking thin and wispy, then maybe just trim a little bit off to thicken up the hemline. But I wouldn't cut it all off, especially not to shoulder. I think that's pretty unnecessary, especially if you're not cutting off damage or thin ends.

Also, and this is just my opinion, unless one's hair is straight, I don't like unlayered hair shorter than shoulder blade length. With wavy or curly hair that's all one length and shorter than that, it looks a bit boring and dowdy. It's hard to explain why, but that's just my take.

pepperminttea
May 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM
The main thing for me is how I usually wear my hair: When I wore my hair down all the time pre-LHC, I enjoyed having layers; they made my hair feel lighter, gave it some movement, and I liked my trying-to-be-waves curling out. When I started to wear my hair up more, and realising they pop out of every updo and braid I tried, I wasn't such a fan. :p

Aleria
May 20th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Note: all from perspective of a thick, wavy haired person

Pro:
-When short, the layers take away the 'triangle head' that thick and wavy hair tends to have
-When long, layers make it lighter than if it was all one length
-Layers bring out the waves if you're only a low-wave like 2a
-Take away some of the bulk of your hair, making braids and buns possible at shorter lengths

Cons:
-Can sometimes cause funky effects like flipping
-Pieces stick out of braids and updos
-Can cause 'fairytale ends' (this is only a con if you're going for a blunt end look, I like fairytale ends)

Overall, it depends on your preference and your hairtype. If you're a thin, Ia type, layers are probably not going to have as many pros as a thick wavy or curly.

Mesmerise
May 20th, 2011, 11:52 PM
It really depends on a lot of factors. The main factor (IMHO) is if you like the look of your hair with layers or not! If you like them, and they look good on you, then keep them.

If your ends are looking a bit thin though, and you're aiming to grow longer, it may be best to get rid of some of the layers, because it will get even thinner at the ends as it grows longer. You may also want to stick with longer layers than those you've already got.

However, I see no benefit in cutting them out now. I had some long layers that are now all gone, and I really just got rid of them by getting my hair trimmed a few times, and not getting the layers cut at all in this time. As the layers were long, it didn't seem to take much time, and really didn't affect my hair much at all.

So yeah, grow your hair, and assess things as you go. If you want to keep the layers, keep them (maybe longer than they are) but once your hair is at goal length you can always decide to maintain at that length and grow your layers out. If you decide you prefer it with layers put in, you can always get them redone later!

UltraBella
May 21st, 2011, 12:50 AM
I am not the best person to ask because I am completely layer addicted :)
I adore my layers and have no desire to ever have all one length hair. My hair is really thick and without layers I think it would look bulky and uninspiring. My layers give my hair movement and shape.
I do not have problems with ends sticking out of updos.
The taper of my braid does annoy me. However, I don't braid my hair often so that's just not a priority for me.

Hair length, thickness and type make a huge difference when it comes to layers and loving them or hating them.

annieangel149
May 21st, 2011, 04:04 AM
yea.... i think if you love updo's then layers will make that difficult! I have had layers put in cos it just looks better on me! I have very straight hair! also i love to wear my hair loose! This might change as it grows longer though as i may need to wear it up more for protection. my layers will be longer by then so that will be okay i guess. :)

Madora
May 21st, 2011, 09:26 AM
I see no "pros"..but that's me.

Cons: If you ever want to do updos that look neat..and you don't want the hassle of trying to braid or twist hair that sprouts in 20 different directions because you have layers, resist the urge to layer your hair!

Layers are frustrating and not fun to deal with when achieving elegant updos! You have enough to do, just creating a difficult style, let alone having to deal with recalcitrant hairs that won't stay under a hairpin! Enough already! No layers!

MonaLisa
May 21st, 2011, 09:31 AM
Pros - I'd say, less weight, more volume, it looks more interesting when down, more movement and texture.

Cons - think it splits faster, and I suppose makes it harder to do different buns and braids, parts just stick out...

selderon
May 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
Note: all from perspective of a thick, wavy haired person

Cons:
-Can sometimes cause funky effects like flipping

Oddly enough, I get flipping with my 1a/1b medium coarse very thick hair even though it is blunt cut.

UltraBella has a point (as always :D). If you are going to wear your hair down, some layers give it a more finished look. It's what makes the difference between plain hair and model hair for many women.

Layers can be cut in a variety of ways. You can have some layers in front without carrying them through the back of the hair. You can have very long layers or very short ones. You can have lots of layers or just a few. And whether you prefer thin fairytale ends or thick, blunt ends, you can shape your hemline.

Layers can cause spiky bits. How many layers, where they are and how short they are will determine whether you have spiky bits in a given style. If you're blessed with wavy or curly hair this may be a bit less of a concern.

Habioku's YouTube videos show a variety of styles for very long hair with layers. You'll notice that in styles where the last few inches of hair are not covered (e.g. tucked under something), she has spikies. In fact, she points them out in at least one video. Calls them "troublesome layers". However, in most of the vids I've watched, her hair looks sleek and tidy.

Also check out hair styling videos by the following users: Torrinpaige, nerdygirlmakeup, lilithedarkmoon and CuteGirlsHairstyles. Also see the sock bun videos by Loepsie and by notoriousnoee. That should provide a decent sampling of hair with various degrees of layering in a variety of styles.

Ermine
May 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
My hair's currently layered to the max, as I have a pixie cut. I've also had one length cuts in the past. Here are the pros and cons of layers from a fine haired perspective.

Pros:
more movement/body
the layers are a style in themselves
layers can be cut to flatter your features
hair feels lighter

Cons:
hair doesn't feel as thick because there's physically not as much hair
they often look odd when you grow it out
with longer layers, the ends stick out of braids and updos
layers require more upkeep in the way of trims and products

Babyfine
May 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
A babyfine, thin 2a

Pros:
layers and fringe look so much better on me and bring out my features.
Helps with the wave and curl pattern
gives my hair movement and body(when shoulder length or shorter)

Cons:

With long hair past SL, ends/hair in general looked far too thin, especially as I crept towards waist.
Updos and braids were a pain, with hair sticking out all over.
Bottom line:
If I want layers, I have to keep my hair no longer than say: armpit length, otherwise
I have found that with such fine hair-if I want it to be very long, I have to keep it all one length, or maybe a gentle U shaped cut, it starts looking too thinned out.

HintOfMint
May 21st, 2011, 01:23 PM
Another problem with layers is that your hair looks shorter than it actually is from the front.

jujube
May 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
Another problem with layers is that your hair looks shorter than it actually is from the front.

That's actually what I like about them. Surprise effect when you turn around!

Wanderer09
May 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Another thing to add to the list of cons: more tangles! Especially if you're a curly! Or maybe it's just my experience, who knows. But when there are shorter bits of hair flying around, there's more opportunity for tangles to form.

growingpains
May 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hmmm I want the best of both worlds! I like thick braids and a nice thick hem, since I get taper, especially with layers. But I also like the bounce and body layers give and enjoy the face framing layers to sometimes soften updos.

I personally want to grow my layers very long. I want layers no shorter than BSL and then the longest pieces at hip or a little shorter than hip. We shall see!

I don't find layers bad for updos at all though. Actually, the opposite, having layers makes it easier for me to pin them up.

NotInPortland
May 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
For me layers are getting annoying now because I wear it up and braid it a lot and they stick out all over. My hair is pretty wavy but it's been so long since my hair hasn't been layered I have no idea if it really brings out the wave in my hair much or not. Also, my ends are much thinner because of them and I would like to have a thicker braid that doesn't taper off so much! For me, I'm currently growing my layers out to see how I like my hair all one length, then once I make it to my goal length or whatever I'm happy sticking with I may consider getting long layers cut in again :) As someone else said though, I think it really depends on your own hair as to whether layers will have more pros than cons.

x0h_bother
May 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM
Pros: more curl/wave, looks great IMO on wavy hair from SL to APL. Lightens the weight of hair if it is thick. More shape.
Cons: IMO my wavy hair looks bad with layers at BSL. Updos..can't do them without hairs sticking out. Thin ends. More tangles.