PDA

View Full Version : Stretch?

Olyve
May 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I was playing with a newly shed hair, and pulled it to see how strong it was and I noticed a stretch to it. Is this good or bad? All I really do is poo(suave naturals) and condish(Garnier Triple Nutrition, but switching to suave) every other day to every two days and oil when I notice it needs extra help with sweet almond oil or coconut oil.
It took quite a bit of tugging to pull it into two pieces, as well.

WittyWordsmith
May 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
If I remember correctly, hair that stretches before breaking means it lacks protein. If it breaks too easily, it lacks moisture.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me! :D

gthlvrmx
May 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM
If I remember correctly, hair that stretches before breaking means it lacks protein. If it breaks too easily, it lacks moisture.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me! :D
If it stretches and bounces back before breaking, is fine. If it stretches and stretches then breaks, needs protein. If it just breaks, needs moisture

Olyve
May 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I just did a protein treatment maybe 2 weeks ago? So I think I am okay, it just freaked me out because I have NEVER had my hair do that, it use to just snap with no effort.

gthlvrmx
May 20th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I just did a protein treatment maybe 2 weeks ago? So I think I am okay, it just freaked me out because I have NEVER had my hair do that, it use to just snap with no effort.
I think it works better if you try it when it's wet. Maybe your hair got more elasticity :)

Olyve
May 20th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I think it works better if you try it when it's wet. Maybe your hair got more elasticity :)
I will try that the next time I wash. :)

ellen732
May 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM
It's good that your hair stretches before it breaks. We used to do that in the salon to test if a client's hair was fragile or not by doing an "elasticity test", which is exactly what you did. Sounds like healthy hair to me. We would take a loose hair and stretch it, if it broke with no stretch we would not perform color or perm on it as it was too fragile.

MonaLisa
May 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM
I don't know much about this, but i know my hair used to stretch a lot when I had it bleached :( It didn't appear normal to me....

Chamy
May 21st, 2011, 10:06 AM
Every hair have a stretch to it. I think i read somewhere on the boards that you can do a sort of protein test with stretching hair. When hair is wet, it should stretch a bit and then go back to its original length. If it stretches and dont go back, you need protein, if it stretches and breaks, you need moisture and less protein. I cant remember in what thread/article i read it in though.

oktobergoud
May 21st, 2011, 10:27 AM
I don't know much about this, but i know my hair used to stretch a lot when I had it bleached :( It didn't appear normal to me....

I had that as well! I think it's one of the signs it's lacking protein :) That or VERY damaged :P

curlymarcia
May 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
I heard of these test for checking the status of the hair. It should be done in wet hair. If your hair stretches more than normal, you should avoid any chemical process.

Amraann
May 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM
It's good that your hair stretches before it breaks. We used to do that in the salon to test if a client's hair was fragile or not by doing an "elasticity test", which is exactly what you did. Sounds like healthy hair to me. We would take a loose hair and stretch it, if it broke with no stretch we would not perform color or perm on it as it was too fragile.

This^^^^^

Hair that has elasticity is healthy hair!!!!