PDA

View Full Version : Ok you were right

Michiru
May 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM
So I went to get my hair colored today and was pretty nervous about it. My color was mostly grown out except for some henna. She did a full color then more highlights. When I have had hi-lights in the past and been happy with it (before I was on this site) by hair still looked brown when wet. After she was done it was a brassy color when wet. I thought it would be better when dry. Not so much. I know people complain about little changes being big but this really did turn out bad. I knew the condition would go down some and my hair will grow back it is literally a brassy yellow. I can't even look in the mirror with out feeling bad. I put a bunch of oil in my hair and have it up in a scarf so I don't have to see it.
I know I was warned about it here but I never really had a bad color done at the salon before. I had a bad style but nothing that made me want to hide. The only part that's not to bad is where there was henna and it couldn't be bleached all the way.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow since I have to work. I don't have any hats and the scarf is bright blue with yellow flowers and is not something I can wear to work.

Is there any way to make it fade? I called my mom and she said I should probably get lowlights but I think that may damage it further. Can I henna over this? (I don't have any with me but I could order some since I need to be able to go outside and be starred at.

:mad:Live and learn:mad:

caiti42
May 20th, 2011, 07:02 PM
You best friend right now will be toner and purple shampoo. I recommend going back to the salon/or another one if you don't want to go back to that one and getting toned. This will really help and possibly get rid of the brassy colour.

Then invest in a quality purple shampoo to keep the brass down.

It's salvageable!

luthein
May 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
<comfort>

Unfortunately, the way its been processed, it's not going to fade. I agree with getting it toned. Some salons have a 24-hour rule, where if you don't like your hair, you can go back to get a toning adjustment. What do you want your end result to be the second time around? Close to your natural hair color? Darker? Lighter? Simply eliminate the brassiness?

Michiru
May 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM
At the moment I would just like something to match my skin tone. I've decided to include pics since that's what more people do.

original hair
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/gingerdoe/DSCN2261.jpg

new color
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/gingerdoe/photo-175.jpg

yeah, it's bad

spidermom
May 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I like the trimmed ends. But I agree with you about the color. I hope you can get it toned for free.

UltraBella
May 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
That can easily be toned and it should be toned for free. Whoever did your highlights should have made sure your hair lifted past the brassy yellow stage. I always have my highlights toned anyway, but I just don't understand why the stylist thought this was exceptable.

Roseate
May 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Your trim looks great! But yes, brassy color.

It won't fade; that yellow's not the result of a color they put on your hair, but a result of the bleaching. They should tone it for you for free. Toner isn't damaging, so don't worry about that. Go back and complain!

Michiru
May 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
So you think it would be best to go to the same place? I spend a lot of time talking to the women and showed pictures and it still came out like this. I did find another place that opens at 10 tomorrow.

luthein
May 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Go where you feel most comfortable, and where you feel like you'll get a quality job. If you think you can get ideal results elsewhere, and you don't mind paying for it -- go there.

akuamoonmaui
May 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I go back, before I'd go someplace else. I'm sure your stylist wants you to be happy. Had you gone to her before? Did she seem experienced? I'm sure there's a fix.

Sometimes pictures aren't true to color, but I see a lot of blond, not so much brassy except at the top, and that looks like your lighting. It's definitely a different shade than you had, but IMO, it looks nice. She did a lovely job on the trim, and your hair looks very shiny. I don't think the stylist did wrong by you all together. Maybe talk to her on the phone and feel her out to see how she'd fix it?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. When it comes to hair, it can really rattle you. You're braver than me to go to a stylist!

Roseate
May 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM
So you think it would be best to go to the same place? I spend a lot of time talking to the women and showed pictures and it still came out like this. I did find another place that opens at 10 tomorrow.

I would go to the same place, unless you feel they're really incompetent. Even with pictures, misunderstandings can happen. They should be motivated to make sure you're happy with your hair, and they shouldn't charge you for the fix. Get the manager or owner to do the work, or at least supervise, and have them talk you through everything they're doing.

Of course, if you're not comfortable, go elsewhere, but do you know anything about this other salon that opens at 10 AM? I'd take time and research their work, find a really good colorist so you don't end up in this situation again. Your current hair color is totally acceptable to be seen in public for a couple days if you need to take the time to find a new salon; don't rush from one bad salon experience to another!

Michiru
May 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I know that when I pointed out that the color didn't really match my skin tone she said that she got it pretty close to the picture of the swatch that I showed. That is true. SHe thinks she did a really good job. I just can't look at it with out feeling like I've been punched in the stomach. This was the first time I have been there. The place that opens at 10 was my second choice but the one I went to the one that had more good reviews.

hennahoney
May 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Good luck with getting your hair color sorted. I've done that a few times, and it's really stressful.

gretchen_hair
May 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I would go back to the salon, if you don't want the same gal doing the procedure, ask the manager or top stylist to do it. I am pretty sure they will try to fix it at no cost, I am sure it wasn't a cheap procedure and I would try to get it fixed for free before shelling out more money.

I can't tell from the pic, but I don't think it looked bad.

I think our hopes are so high when we go get our hair done, that when it doesn't look like we wanted it to, it is a huge letdown.

Call the manager, see what can be done. :flower:

Roseate
May 20th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I know that when I pointed out that the color didn't really match my skin tone she said that she got it pretty close to the picture of the swatch that I showed. That is true.

Ok, so in that case I'd definitely go back there. Sounds like she misinterpreted how much you wanted that exact swatch color vs a similar color adjusted to your skin tone, but she doesn't sound incompetent.

Michiru
May 21st, 2011, 01:32 AM
Could I do a light hennaing over it? If it won't ruin it or turn it purple I'm thinking that might be a good idea. Since it is lighter now I would use lots of cassia and a little henna.

CrystalStar
May 21st, 2011, 01:38 AM
If you're worried about money I'd go back to the same place and complain.. They would probably give you a discount or the toning for free. If you're more worried about quality however, I'd be tempted to go elsewhere if I wasn't satisfied with what a salon did!

Alvrodul
May 21st, 2011, 02:18 AM
Could I do a light hennaing over it? If it won't ruin it or turn it purple I'm thinking that might be a good idea. Since it is lighter now I would use lots of cassia and a little henna.
You could use henna, yes, and it would definitely change the color, but I would not really recommend it for you - unless you want your hair red. You aren't going to get rid of the red color if you use henna since henna is forever...

sunnydays
May 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM
I had the same problem as you, your natual colour looks like what my natural colour possibly is and although I had great highlights before, when i dyed my hair dark and wanted to go back blonde it went yellow and orange and white in some places not very nice at all, i have just dyed mine back dark now. You could try toners but they didnt work for me, or maybe you could try going lighter but i found it didnt work for me and was best to go back dark as it totally dried my hair. I wish i had not dyed mine, it was between a quater to half way grown out and i went and messed mine up.

Roseate
May 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM

But I thought what you didn't like about it is that the color is too brassy, i.e. yellow-y warm? Henna will just make it warmer. It won't turn it purple but it willturn it orange. Try the toner first, then if you don't like it you can henna over.

alyanna
May 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
So I went to get my hair colored today and was pretty nervous about it. My color was mostly grown out except for some henna. She did a full color then more highlights. When I have had hi-lights in the past and been happy with it (before I was on this site) by hair still looked brown when wet. After she was done it was a brassy color when wet. I thought it would be better when dry. Not so much. I know people complain about little changes being big but this really did turn out bad. I knew the condition would go down some and my hair will grow back it is literally a brassy yellow. I can't even look in the mirror with out feeling bad. I put a bunch of oil in my hair and have it up in a scarf so I don't have to see it.
I know I was warned about it here but I never really had a bad color done at the salon before. I had a bad style but nothing that made me want to hide. The only part that's not to bad is where there was henna and it couldn't be bleached all the way.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow since I have to work. I don't have any hats and the scarf is bright blue with yellow flowers and is not something I can wear to work.

Is there any way to make it fade? I called my mom and she said I should probably get lowlights but I think that may damage it further. Can I henna over this? (I don't have any with me but I could order some since I need to be able to go outside and be starred at.

:mad:Live and learn:mad:

That happened to me last time I got hilights even though I explicitly said I liked honey-blonde NOT friggin platinum and it turned out ... well you guess it ... platinum! Like some pieces were almost white :mad:

So I went back about a month later and they shampooed my hair with toner. It just darkened all the highlights. The darkening effect is still there (and this was back in Dec or January) and this process did not further damage my hair. I was pretty happy with the results.

DO NOT get lowlights. More damage and you may not like the color/tone of the lowlights. This toner just darkens, but doesn't add a new color, if you know what I mean. I would go to the same place again. The toner thing is very common so it's really no big deal, and I'm sure you'll get the results you want.

I don't think now is a good time to experiment with henna, but that's just my two cents.

growingpains
May 21st, 2011, 01:50 PM
I agree with the others: TONER is the way to go. Seriously it's very common to lighten hair and not get the right tone the first time off. Toner is deposit only and will change the level of warmth. I'd suggest going in and asking for her to tone it slightly darker and cooler. Ash is the tone you need to get rid of brass, but I think it's also better to tone it a bit darker so that it'll fade better.

spidermom
May 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Henna plus yellow = orange. Based on what you've said so far, I am sure you won't like it.

Michiru
May 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM
So, I went back to the same salon after work. Actually I was able to get off early. My co workers tried to convince me it wasn't bad but I couldn't keep it like that. When I got there I said that it was loud bright and brassy while I wanted soft and natural looking. I did get the toner. While I was sitting with it on my head at the sink by myself I took my phone out and looked at the top of my head to see what was applied. Thankfully it was looking more brown/less yellow, which when wet it should.
It looks much better now. I probably should have gone with golden instead of honey since that would have matched my skin better but I can now go outside without wrapping my head in a scarf.
Boy, that was a scary experience. :eek:

More pics:
before:
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/gingerdoe/photo-185.jpg
after: http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/gingerdoe/photo-188.jpg

UltraBella
May 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Much better !!!! Yay !!

alyanna
May 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
Much better!

And you know what? If you find it starts getting brassy again, just go in and get more toner added. No worries.

NouvelleNymphe2
May 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Oh wow that looks really pretty now!! I'm glad it worked out so well then :). Thank goodness for the LHC!

30isthenewblack
May 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
The new hair colour looks great!!!

Roseate
May 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM
Happy ending! Very pretty! :)