PDA

View Full Version : First self trim tomorrow (

Rin4Christ
May 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi All, I'm a LHC newbie and lurker (I'm on once or twice a day, but mostly read). Its been about a year since I last got my hair cut (I think- I don't remember exactly) and I would like to save some money and do it myself. I plan to uses Feye's self trim method for a U shaped hem line. I had layers from last time my hair was cut, but I would like to trim them out eventually.

Picture below: (also my first time to post a pic of my hair on LHC)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/Rin4Christ/0520111740-00.jpg
My hair is approaching waist length dry and is at waist length wet (waist marked by my my thumb and pointer fingers). In the picture it has bun waves, but even when drying naturally it has similar levels of waves. The picture was taken 30 min ago and current status is almost 3 days since last wash (Wednesday morning). I usually go 2-3 days between washes, then I do CWC and finish with ACV about once a week.

Questions: Is it better to trim damp or dry? Should it be freshly washed or is a couple of days ok? (will it make a difference) Any other advice for a first time self trimmer? Experience/disasters/triumphs to share?

Edit: my hair looks a different color past my shoulders, but that's mostly lighting. I have some natural red highlights, but not *that* much. My hair is not dyed. (It may be the red blanket that was on the table next to me when I took the picture reflecting the evening sunlight.)

Narya
May 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'd say that wet is best, because that way you see the real length of the hair you're cutting and the waves won't mislead you. It also may depend on how much you want to trim: if it's a micro-trim it wouldn't matter as much because if you make a mistake it will be smaller, so it doesn't matter as much, and with wavy hair as you have small mistakes will be hardly seen (I know from experience!).

So, hmm... I suppose my answer is "it depends, but I'd say wet hair is best" I hope I could be of more help!

jojo
May 20th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I always trim dry but thats just me! your hair is lovely, good luck with the trim!

Phexlyn
May 21st, 2011, 01:34 AM
I've trimmed both wet and dry hair, but since my hair is fairly straight it doesn't make a difference anyway.

Advice for a first-time trimmer:
This may be obvious, but go slowly. You can always cut more. If you think you've messed up, do not correct it immediately. Wait and reassess what you did, and what you want it to look like. Get someone else to look at your hair if you're not sure whether you trimmed it evenly or not. I always think I cut a bit lopsided, but when I get someone to look at the hemline, they say it's perfectly straight.

Good luck! :)

Rin4Christ
May 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a success or not, but below are the "after" photos.

First is my hair allowed to air dry:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/Rin4Christ/0521111755-00.jpg

Clearly I don't know how to make the best use of the curls I have.... I find them to be too disorganized and inconsistent- so I tend to brush them out or hide them all together in a bun.

2nd is my hair brushed out:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/Rin4Christ/0521111806-00.jpg

The U shape is not very visible, and I think the left side might be a bit longer than the right, but I guess its not terrible.... I'll give it a couple of days and then either try again or go to a salon and get them to even things up if I really dislike it...

jojo
May 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
it looks even to me, plus your shoulder on right is higher up so it will knock the hem off a bit. Get your hubby to take a photo of it with both your arms by your side.

skydancer7
May 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
I always trim dry. If I trim wet, it is only in a straight line wet, but dries wonky. If that makes any sense :)