PDA

View Full Version : Plasma and Hair

Fingolphin
May 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I just started donating plasma again. Does anyone know anything about how/if it affects your hair, or have any experience again? Does it cause hair loss, slow growth, etc? It seems like it could be a stressor on your body, so I would think anything is possible.

Fingolphin
May 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Nobody? :confused:

Mesmerise
May 20th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hmm I don't know. I've donated blood before, but don't know the difference between that and donating plasma!

Once after donating blood I fainted (fortunately I was lying down when it happened lol)...but I don't recall any other negative side effects (except it was New Years' Eve so I wasn't exactly partying on that night lol).

Zéphine
May 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM
I've only donated plasma once, about a year ago (I keep meaning to go back, but haven't found a good time yet due to a busy schedule). I didn't notice any effect on my hair, but I'm not sure how the effects on the body differ between one-time donations and donating regularly. The only side effect I noticed was feeling really cold from getting pumped full of room-temperature saline. I think the website for my blood bank said the body replaces plasma within 24 hours or so.

marzipanthecat
May 21st, 2011, 12:56 AM
It really should not have any affect upon your hair at all. Your body should be able to replace the plasma you have donated within a day or so. Lack of plasma protein shouldn't affect your hair growth.

(I just asked my husband all this, he used to work for the National Blood Service. He says just make sure you eat a sensible diet and drink a reasonable amount of water - but he also said that advice applies to everyone anyway, whether or not you are a donor!)

Also, applause to you for being so nice and donating your plasma.