PDA

View Full Version : Dry hair WHAT DO YOU SUGEST?

Shufro
May 20th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hey everybody!
My hairs ends are so dry and i get split ends two months after cut.
The only "bad" thing i do is blowdrying my hair after showers (2-3 per week). I cut a inch of my hair every 2-3 months.
My hairs not hennaed or coloured. My hairs 2c type. I use both coconut and almond oil.
I havent been active in several months and i kinda lost the care of my hair. Im open for any advice of care pleaaaase help. henna or anythinggg ( but i dont want the red hair =/ )

HairColoredHair
May 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Some hair splits more than others. Try blowdrying at a lower temperature, perhaps, or mixing conditioner and honey and letting it soak in for a few hours.

racrane
May 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
My hair stopped splitting after I stopped using heat. but if you want the dryer, use it on a low setting...but the heat was the biggest thing for me.

shikara
May 21st, 2011, 02:35 AM
Honey is a humectant which means it will work for your hair only if there is moisture in the air to draw from. If not, any and all moisture will be sucked right out. Google hair moisture and dew points for more information.

curlymarcia
May 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Same problem here. I've been using almond oil and it's working for me (but I understand you already used it). I also like avocado hair mask, you can add honey, and is great also. My best advice is try, try and try until you find what works for you.

mustpannkook
May 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Well, if you don't want red hair you could try cassia. My hair is low-wavy, though, but it does wonders with my hair.

Other than that, I really enjoy mixing some conditioner and coconut oil together to make a thick, creamy butter and put it on dry hair. It makes my hair amazing.

Othala
May 21st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Get a spray bottle (mister type thingy that you would use to spray water on plants) and put a big blob of a deep conditioner in it, preferably containing protein, silicones or both. Dilute with water. Ske it up and spray on your hair daily as a leave-in moisture and protein boost.

growingpains
May 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Cassia makes hair silky but is known to be drying. I heard on here that lite coconut milk soaks are good for moisture. Also, leave in conditioners and deep oilings before washes.

It's probably the blow drying that's doing it though. Use a heat protectant on the ends and try to wash less often. Also get a blow dryer with a 'cool' setting if you don't already have one. Much less damaging. Additionally, you may want to let airdry most the way and blow dry the last 20%. Back when I was blowdrying every wash that's what I used to do and it really reduced damage.

Madora
May 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
If you must use a hair dryer, use it at the lowest heat and use a diffuser too.

I found that an EVOO treatment worked wonders on my hair!
(EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I like Bertolli).

How to:

1 Shampoo and condition your hair. Let it dry thoroughly overnight

2 Pour a small amount of EVOO (I used about 1/4 of a cup) into a deep bowl.

3. Dip your fingers into the EVOO and then on your hair.

4. The idea is to moisten your hair with the EVOO..but not have it saturated or dripping.

5. Cover the entire head with "cling wrap" (i.e. Saran wrap)

6. Leave on overnight if desired..or at least 3 to 4 hours.

7. Remove cling wrap, shampoo hair and condition as usual.

8. Detangle gently

9. Airdry and v o i l a...incrediblly shinny hair with tremendous "slip". I was amazed at just what ONE treatment did for my hair! Positively amazing and highly recommended!

Scarlet_Heart
May 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM
Some say coconut oil makes their hair slightly crunchy. Supposedly both jojoba oil and camellia oil are good for this.

Simonsmama
May 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioning Protein Pack

Works wonders on dry hair

I bought at Target in the ethnic haircare section

jojo
May 21st, 2011, 08:01 PM
I can not advocate EVOO enough, it adds moisture, shine and bounce to my hair. I do a heavy overnight oil once a fortnight and my hair has honestly never looked or felt better; from roots to tips its moisturised.

growingpains
May 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM
I too use EVOO. My method is as follows: the night before a wash I dampen my length with water and apply EVOO (about a teaspoon total). I then put in a bun and cover with a sock. Next day I braid to avoid people noticing and then wash in the eve. Results=silky goodness.

Julia_79
May 21st, 2011, 10:29 PM
Get a spray bottle (mister type thingy that you would use to spray water on plants) and put a big blob of a deep conditioner in it, preferably containing protein, silicones or both. Dilute with water. Ske it up and spray on your hair daily as a leave-in moisture and protein boost.

Oh, what a good idea! I will definitely try it (silicones agree with my hair). Perhaps this is not the right place to ask such a question (newbie), but how do you know whether a product contains a lot of protein? I can recognise silicones in the ingredients list, but not protein.

Othala
May 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
how do you know whether a product contains a lot of protein?

Look for label ingredients such as hydrolysed keratin or hydrolysed elastin. Also amino acids as a term or individual aminos such as cysteine.

TheBluffs
May 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Try any kind of oil, and experiment if you are new to it. Also, keep the heat on low. I've noticed minuim splits with no heat. :)

Firefox7275
May 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hey everybody!
My hairs ends are so dry and i get split ends two months after cut.
The only "bad" thing i do is blowdrying my hair after showers (2-3 per week). I cut a inch of my hair every 2-3 months.
My hairs not hennaed or coloured. My hairs 2c type. I use both coconut and almond oil.
I havent been active in several months and i kinda lost the care of my hair. Im open for any advice of care pleaaaase help. henna or anythinggg ( but i dont want the red hair =/ )

You could spend a lot of time and money on trying to protect or repair the hair or you could just resolve the root cause which is probably heat treating. :o Are you blowdrying to get your 2c hair straight? If so you will have to get your hair super dry for the straightness to hold which will be very damaging. Could you try wrapping/ a doobie (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57295) instead? Alternatively learning to care for your curls (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html) - plopping/ plunking, air drying or diffusing instead?

ETA: just looked back through old threads, are you still growing out damage from colouring and flat ironing? If so perhaps blow drying now is just too much for your delicate ends?

Lux88
May 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Leave in conditioner and stop blow drying if you can!

Deborah
May 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
My hair does not respond well to oils. I think it just doesn't need them, so the oil just lays on top. But when I have had dry ends, I found that stroking just a little bit of shea nut butter onto the last six inches helped a lot. The ends felt better, but my hair was not oily.

I hope you find a good solution soon. :)

RachieBaby
May 24th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I agree with EVOO my hair loves it! I do a heavy evoo once a month and my hair feels amazing!

You could also give an SMT a go and see if that helps too! :)

alwayssmiling
May 24th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Another vote for evo. Coconut oil can make hair feel dry if its overdone and built up (it took me ages to work out why my hair was getting drier despite me doing more nice things). Can you blow dry on cool?

I find off the shelf leavein conditioners a bit weak for my thick, coarse, curly, porous hair. I learnt on here to use a regular conditioner (small amount on ends) as a leavein - its made my hair very soft, shiny, and frizz free.

Have you tried CO yet? Or a sulphate free shampoo?

vintage88
May 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Will definately be trying this, thanks! :)

spidermom
May 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Keep trimming off those dried-out, damaged ends. You can make them feel better, but it's temporary; you can't heal them.

Shufro
May 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
You could spend a lot of time and money on trying to protect or repair the hair or you could just resolve the root cause which is probably heat treating. :o Are you blowdrying to get your 2c hair straight? If so you will have to get your hair super dry for the straightness to hold which will be very damaging. Could you try wrapping/ a doobie (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57295) instead? Alternatively learning to care for your curls (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html) - plopping/ plunking, air drying or diffusing instead?

ETA: just looked back through old threads, are you still growing out damage from colouring and flat ironing? If so perhaps blow drying now is just too much for your delicate ends?

hey thanks for the answer well i grown out the colour henna and everything.. yea i make it straight with blowdrying.. im gonna try the wraping thaank you!!

Shufro
May 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Hey everybody thank you so much for your helpful answers im gonna try all of the advices i was so desperate i had to cut my hair twice during two months im not talking about trims is was totally like 5 inches.. =(

But im gonna tell you i condition my hair with almond and coconut oil everyday and i did understand that the damage is mainly caused by heatstyling..

So since im middleeastern im familiar with olive oil soap and i acually started to schampoo my hair with it all the dryness is gone!! i havent even used conditioner afterwards i used almond or/and coconut oil during shampooing and preschampooing.
I STOPPED using the blowdryer but i will probably do it ocasianlly (sorry bad english hehe)
I let it dry in a towel and finger comb it, i twist it to a knot when its halfdry and let it dry during the day and i get really nice waves!! :D

I wanted to share this with you all! have anyone tried olivesoap??? good or bad result?
:cheese:

:blossom: