PDA

View Full Version : Green Ends....what to do

BabyRay33
May 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hey everyone.

So I kinda have a conundrum. I used Lush's Caca Brun back in March, and while I liked the results I got for conditioning, and even color (it has washed out a lot now) I got some funny colored ends from the indigo. They look kinda green. I think this is because I had a lot of dye on my hair from all the torture I put it through and it stuck like glue on the terribly damaged parts which are mostly the ends. I put a photo of the ends in my album.

I am getting close to one of my goals...BSL. I am kinda already there, but I am waiting until I get completely over the strap to move on to my next goal of waist.

My question is...should I try to do a real henna to cover the ends? I have some Henna Hut copper top brown and some cassia, and I could easily mix that up to put on everything, and hopefully the henna will neutralize the greenish tint.

Or, because I have lived with it this long, just let it grow out to BSL (I only have maybe another inch and I get one inch a month) and then trim to maintain until it is gone?

Do you think that the henna over method could work? Or should I not press my luck and just wait the month and trim it off? I have been thinking about using the henna soon anyway...should I henna it before or after I get rid of those ends?

Thanks everybody!!

Aeltt
May 20th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I've read putting ketchup helps getting ride of the green tinge. At least on blond hair turned green because of chlorine in the pool..
Please mind i never used henna or indigo, and never had blond or green hair either, but you can always give it a try ^^'

BabyRay33
May 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I swim too, but I'm pretty sure the color is just from the caca, because it has looked like that since I did it, but as the dye faded, it didn't fade from these blondeish ends...

I hadn't heard about the ketchup...interesting

Ashenputtel
May 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Cranberry juice also work for greenish blond hair.

jojo
May 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
it looks to me like lighting. May different lights are showing a green sheen? It also looks like your lush henna has faded quite a bit. You could try a normal henna but it may make your ends go copper and may not blend in with the rest. I would not use a henna which states to be a brown; henna is red period! any brand stating to be brown henna probably contains metallic salts and could cause more problems.

Is re-using a lush henna a problem? personally id either do another lush henna or trim the bits (if it isnt lighting) off, you grow fast anyway so it would be back in no time.

Ketchup is normally used for getting the green tint caused by chlorine in swimming pools; i doubt it would work in this instance.

Id also try a clarifying treatment first, you never know it might rid of it!

Ive used lush henna and have never had this problem with it.

BabyRay33
May 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
The color of the ends in the photo is how it looks very consistently. I think this has to be from the blonde dye that I used to have...

The henna that I have is from Henna hut, it is just one of their mixes for a specific color. I'm afraid to use the Lush henna again because one it came out soooo dark. Too dark for me. And two, I'm afraid that the indigo in it will stick to the same places again and make it harder to cover up or remove.

jojo
May 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Ok right what does the ingredients say on the henna box? does it say its pure henna?

Alvrodul
May 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I think henna or a henna gloss ought to give a good result, but to be sure you are getting a good result, I recommend that you strand test first! Dying with henna and indigo on damaged hair can be a somewhat chancy business, since if the damage is bad enough, you may get an uneven result - I suppose you already have that, in fact, with those green ends!:roll:

Unofficial_Rose
May 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Caca Rouge but in a gloss, like Alvrodul says - this should do it, without overdoing it.

(Just on the green bits. Henna blends pretty well, you won't end up with a line, especially if you just do a gloss).

Tiina
May 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
It is the indigo in hendigo that fades to green. It will not make a difference in terms of the health of your hair whether you trim before or after hennaing. However, henna colour over those ends will look different from the henna cover on the rest of your hair. I am pretty sure it won't at least look green.

Also, if the henna blend you used turned out too dark, there are several factors during application which turn the colour darker which can be avoided. The ratio between henna and indigo can also play a part. I don't have experience with henna myself but maybe someone else can elaborate.

And as jojo suggested, you should check the ingredients list on the henna you have just in case. :)

jojo
May 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM
It is the indigo in hendigo that fades to green. It will not make a difference in terms of the health of your hair whether you trim before or after hennaing. However, henna colour over those ends will look different from the henna cover on the rest of your hair. I am pretty sure it won't at least look green.

Also, if the henna blend you used turned out too dark, there are several factors during application which turn the colour darker which can be avoided. The ratio between henna and indigo can also play a part. I don't have experience with henna myself but maybe someone else can elaborate.

And as jojo suggested, you should check the ingredients list on the henna you have just in case. :)

indigo doesnt turn green, its normally when you try to bleach it which is a big no no with indigo.

to op was the henna out of date or anything? Hendigo or henna is normally really good on damaged hair.

BabyRay33
May 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
No it wasn't old or anything like that. I bought the Lush caca brun the day I used it. I'm almost thinking that the best thing to do is get some semi-permanent red like manic panic and make a gloss with it... to tide me over until I can trim it when its a bit longer.

I'm just not sure if any dye at this point is going to work correctly on these ends...they have been bleached, then dyed pink, purple, red and then brown again.

Unofficial_Rose
May 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Actually, now I think back on it, I first henndigoed over very damaged bleached hair (i.e. some of it was about to snap off) and it just kept fading on some areas. I had to two-step it to even get it to stick. It was the henna that faded off the worst bits and left me with the greenish indigo look as you describe. I didn't do full-strength two-step because that would have given me black, which I definitely did not want.

So yes, if you have very damaged hair there may not be enough protein structure left for the henna to bind to. Perseverance with the henna will work eventually, though.

BabyRay33
May 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
That makes sense to me. The henna has really helped the condition of my hair, but I think that the underlying damage is still there, and it affects the color I get at the end. I may do a henna gloss to see if it covers anything up, but I don't want to drastically change the color I have. So if it covers the ends up then great, if not, then I will trim them off in a month or two

Artsy
May 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I have used lush caca brun on very bleached out hair. It really gave me the green tint in the parts that were fading. After few application of caca it blended compketely, but didn't darken much. My guess is that if you do a henna gloss on the ends it will blend better. you might need a very weak gloss to do that.