PDA

View Full Version : Have you converted anyone to LHC-style hair care?

Wanderer09
May 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I know some of us occasionally get a lot of grief over our hair care methods. So has anyone successfully introduced others to our somewhat unconventional ways? ;)

My mom has short hair and every intention of keeping it that way, but she does ACV rinses (after I told her why I have a bottle of it in the bathroom), uses sulfate-free shampoo, and she is now a hennahead. :D

WittyWordsmith
May 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
My sisters and I have a private blog that the 5 of us talk on. I started raving about CO and the different LHC methods, and SMTs and the like. It took about 2 weeks, but as soon as I started seeing results, 3 of them decided to give it a try. Now there are 4 of us who are starting to love and re-discover our hair!

The last sister, well, we're working on her. :)

Oh, and I have a few friends who are also considering making a few changes.

I feel like I've done my good deeds for the month!

celebriangel
May 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I spoke to my mum about some unconventional treatments too - henna, SMTs - and she seemed receptive. I'm going to stay with her for a while soon, and I'll be showing her some nice hair treatments then. But then, my mum has always been an unconventional woman :)

DBF also seems really receptive. He's always brushed his hair gently due to sensitive scalp, and was happy when I handed him a Tangle Teezer. He doesn't wear it up much of his own accord, but is utterly thrilled when I do it for him (he is someone who, for whatever reason, suits updos down to the ground. Even hairstick buns - it makes him look like a japanese martial arts person, which is fun, because we both do japanese martial arts :D).

I have to admit, the group of friends DBF and I share also seemed pretty receptive. Many of them have long or longish hair, so...they all seem to like the "benign neglect" version of LHC haircare - I told Josh, a babyfine 1a f i with hair almost to his waist, about how blowdrying was causing his hair to break (when he was sad that his hair had apparently stopped growing) and he happily reported that his hair airdried really fast anyway. His ends look better, and his hair has grown an inch! I wonder if I could persuade him to let me give him a small trim?

I've also suggested henna to shabba, a 3c M/C iii with wonderful long black hair, to help his velcro ends. He looks after his beautifully already, but seemed receptive to the idea of hair that had a red sheen in the sum.

I tried to tell a friend about how awesome henna was and how I was going to try it and she was like "NOOO your hair will be orange!" Um. No. That would be if I were blonde. Given my hair is brown naturally...not really. I currently have a warm auburn colour which I adore.

I got to admit...I have pretty awesome friends for the most part.

racrane
May 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hmn, well, one of my friends from college is interested in CWC and CO after realizing that was one of the reasons how healthy it was. And my mom isn't using as much heat (she now only fixes her bangs). Yay! I'm happy because my mom loved heat and now it's not often.

Sundial
May 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I tried, I really did try. DH is really a lost cause though :rolleyes: I even resorted to replacing old sulfate shampoos and cone conditioners with non-cone and non-sulfate stuff but he merely retaliates by using twice/thrice the amount of shampoo because it doesn't lather

BabyRay33
May 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I have spread the word and my mom who was with a short bob is now regrowing her hair. I also have her going easier on the dye and even got her some protein treatment goo to put on her hair.

My boyfriend is missing a bit on top, and what he does have is going gray, so he can't participate so much, but he does recognize people's hair for what it is a lot better than before. The other day he told me that he was in Quiznos getting lunch and an indian girl with "really beautiful long hair" was talking about dying it and bleaching it light brown, and he was horrified that she would even think of it. I laughed out loud. I have kinda converted him. Not to mention that for Easter, I got no candy, but all hair supplies! yay!

PraiseCheeses
May 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
My mom has started showing interest ever since I showed her how to wash her face with jojoba oil last time I was at her house, in the fall before I found LHC. Since then I've been gradually introducing her to some of the things I've tried - she likes baking soda and vinegar over conventional products now (although like me she still uses conditioner), and she's still washing and moisturizing her face with the jojoba oil as well as putting some on her ends. For Mother's Day one of her gifts was a jar of coconut oil. She's a shoulder-length-or-shorter lifer, but there's no reason she can't benefit from some of the things we do here.

She does like to dye her hair red, so I'm wondering if she'd consider henna. Methinks she could also be introduced to hairtoys sometime soon... :twisted:

A couple people have told me they've bought coconut oil - and one of my younger violin students has been asking her parents for a scarf so she can wear her hair like mine. :cloud9: Soooo cute!

ravenreed
May 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I tried with my best friend and it was something of a disaster. I have thick, coarse hair, where she has fine, fine, fine hair. My routine didn't work at all for her.

Aeltt
May 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM
A MBL/waist friend who
- ripped through her hair with a nasty brush
- brushed daily, but she's a wavy so it looked frizzy (now she finger combs.)
- wear her hair down every day (or in a ponytail sometimes), and it kept getting caught in her bag straps, clothes, everywhere. (now she pays attention and sometimes wear buns with hair toy ! And braids too)
- didn't use conditioner, her hair was really dry (at least she doesn't wash her hair daily and don't use heat)

:cheese:

Narya
May 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I have a friend (then flatmate) that looked at me weird at first, but then accepted to try CWC and agreed that it had been a great change. She asks me for advice now, and every time we meet (we live far from each other right now) she asks me if I can braid her hair. I think in a few years I might have completely converted her.

I also convinced my mother and my 12yo sister to try CWC (it's what I first try to introduce people to), and both decided to stick to it. No luck with ACV rinses, though, and my 19yo sister doesn't want to hear anything about leaving her flat-irons alone for more than 48hours.

Intransigentia
May 20th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I haven't converted anybody to doing LHC style haircare, but I have converted my MIL to buying me hairtoys!

ouseljay
May 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Working on it! S.other has the most gorgeous dark brown curls, but he used to take horrible care of them. Dry, and tangly, prone to matting, and he'd comb his hair while dry (:afro:). I've just recently realized how much softer and shinier his hair is now that I've got him using separate shampoo and gobs of conditioner. I can run my hands through his hair and not get snagged now, it's so soft and silky. He's about to convert to shampoo and conditioner that is SLS free since I'm convinced he's sensitive to it, and he's trying my olive oil soap for a similar reason. He's very receptive, and also willing to help me with my own experiments.

Oh, and he lets me put jojoba oil in his hair. :D That turns out beautifully. One sunny day recently I put it in his wet hair and we went out. I swear I could see rainbows shimmering in his curls it was so wonderfully shiny.

allmixedup88
May 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I got my gma to acv rinse now :)

Scarlet_Heart
May 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
My sister-in-law always complimented me on my hair and I started telling her what I do with it. She is currently growing, doing bs/acv (although I foresee her switching to CO sometime in the future as a lot of bs/acv folks tend to do), and she has inquired about henna.

Actually, I get a lot of compliments on my hair color and might have planted the henna seed in a few minds. I can't believe that conventional wash and color methods are so conventional! I'm really glad if I can help a few people be kinder to their hair :)

Copasetic
May 20th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Definitely not, but I don't really try. I suggested to a friend once that she use some conditioner on her dry hair as a deep conditioning treatment before she washes her hair. She was totally disgusted by the idea and looked at me like I was nuts! "Dry hair?!? What?"

I don't care though. People can do whatever they want to their hair.

Sweet_Decadence
May 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I converted my ex to co washing. After he initially never even used to use conditioner!! I think he liked having soft hair, he's a creature of texture.

Also, same guy, definately has the grow by neglect method down to a T, he learned that one on his own though. ;)

TheMechaGinger
May 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I converted my boyfriend to the lhc ways, he refuses to get an account but asks me to look stuff up for him all the time =P But he quit using cones on his long hair and asked me to trim his splits, and washes with nicer shampoo now. Too funny

BrightEyes7
May 20th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I got my mom to put avacado oil in her hair once...

I try to get people to convert but it doesn't always work out! :p

I told one of my sister's friends that she should do CO washing but I haven't seen her since then so I haven't had a chance to ask her... I'm curious to know.

cowgirllong
May 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
My kids are too young to count, so I haven't converted anyone. I'm teaching them the right way from the beginning!

However, I have a friend who is growing her hair long and she asks my advice about her hair. I just gave her a pair of gorgeous handmade hairsticks. Babysteps. One day, she'll be converted and not even know it!

Amraann
May 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hubby very soon after I joined LHC began using aloe gel instead of hair gel.

silverstars
May 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I've gotten the BF to use sulfate-free shampoo. He likes it better :)

boudica
May 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Am slowly converting DH to oiling his hair before washing. When he does this, his thick, silky, stubbornly straight hair comes out all kinds of shiny.

We both wear our hair up always, so there isn't a lot of opportunity to 'sell' people on how I take care of my hair. The other day I went to a party with people I see every day and they saw my hair down for the first time and were all kinds of complimentary. DH has given me lots of hair compliments since I joined LHC a few months ago. I think he'd probably follow if I could come up with a regimen for him. My is super fine and sort of 2A or 2B wavy, with curls at the ends. His is straight, even if he puts it up wet.

Becky Safari
May 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
My mom is doing everything I do now, she is even going to let me show her how to trim her hair this weekend!

Chetanlaiho
May 20th, 2011, 04:53 PM
One friend asked me for help, I told her all I knew in a nutshell but she seems pretty set on damaging her hair so I kinda gave up xD

I'm trying to get some other friends of mine to take better care of their hair, I got one of them to start using conditioner =D Trying to get my father to do an ACV rinse to get rid of his dandruff rather than use Head & Shoulders (and probably make it worse) xD

caiti42
May 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM
My BF has 1/2 inch hair all over. He shampoos and conditions and last night he put some leave in conditioner on his head and 'brushed' with my wooden brush. I more think it is to show he is taking an interest in my interests but either way it is so sweet. <3

silverjen
May 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I got my mom to switch to shampoo bars and ACV rinses. <3

ravenreed
May 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I did a sort of catch all, hair care article and sent it out on a yahoo list I belong to. I did have a couple nice comments about what I wrote, but I don't know that anyone changed much of what they are already doing. I do get asked about where to buy hair sticks.

Jean Stuart
May 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Got my sister and neighbor totally hooked on deep evoo treatments.

iluvmurphie
May 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'm actually new to LHC, and just getting started, but I've been talking about it with my cousin and my mom and they are just as eager to learn as I am. :)

Intransigentia
May 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I've decided I have to convert my partner's cousin. She used to wear her hair permed and cut short, and it was easy-care but imo it really, really didn't look good on her. Then she went to Nepal for something like six or eight months and didn't get a haircut the whole time, and now I can see she has just gorgeous hair. There's just loads of it, thick and straight and lots of volume at the roots, and this lovely mix of dark blonde to medium brown with silvers scattered around. She looks so pretty with it!

She's very benign-neglect-oriented, so I'm thinking the only realy conversion work I'll have to do is encourage her not to cut, and teach her some easy updos when she gets enough length to work with.