PDA

View Full Version : How to get the red tones out of hair ?

jhill923
May 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me. I dyed my hair a golden brown which gave me alot of red tones....I dont like it. I prefer a flat chocolate brown color. Is there something they can do at the salon to get the red out or can I buy a color that will counter act it next time ? something ashy ?
Thanks ladies.

Eden75
May 19th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I had this happen to me last summer. I used a medium ash brown (5) to get rid of the really red tone. (I have a lot of red naturally, this went a nasty coppery colour.) Anything with the ash should help tone it down.

caiti42
May 20th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Hi

It depends what colour you were originally. If you were blonde or light brown you need a red filler. You need to dye red and then brown.

Anything with golden/goldy/carmael ect is going to through red, particularly if you have red undertones.

If you want a more ashy colour and are using packets you need something with a name like flat, ash or natural.

I suggest going to a salon if you dont want goldy colours so they can fil it with the appropriate shades.

owlathena
May 20th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Aveda has a "blue malva" line that *supposedly* minimizes red tones. I love the shampoo, but haven't been using it now that I henna-what would be the point of that? If you're looking for something immediate though, like others said, you need some sort of "ash" color. I used to use a boxed "ash brown" that minimized the reds in my hair.

Blond On Blond
May 20th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I've used hibiscus tea rinses when I dyed my blond hair auburn, didn't like it and decided to bleach it twice (myself) to get rid of the color. Yeah, the auburn was gone, but I ended up with mushy, light-orange hair :(
Anyway, my hairdresser, after laughing her butt off when she saw me enter the salon, recommended at least 2 weeks of intensive protein/moisture treatments before applying another dye. She was the one who told me about the hibiscus. Don't fret that it's red, it turns blue when it dries. It should cut down the brass. Unfortunately, it last only until the next wash.

jojo
May 20th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Head and shoulders shampoo helps fade dyes or a colour oops (i think there called in USA) may help. Ashy colours will help tone down a red but id try and fade it as much as you can first.

Skjønnhår
May 20th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Are there any natural ingredients that tone the red colour done?

Yosha
May 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Are there any natural ingredients that tone the red colour done?
You could try amla in your mix when you dye with natural ingredients, but if your hair is a light color it may make it darker.

Ashenputtel
May 20th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Red and gold tones are REALLY HARD to get out.

I've been trying to neutralize the red out of my hair since juanary and now I'm giving up. I did to demi and one semi permanent hair dye with a blue based ash in it (I have orange tones).

It depends how red your hair is.

The blue-purple shampoo and conditionners are for light hair colors. It doesn't do much on darker tones. You need to cover it with a ashy-natural color at least has dark as your base. That's why I waited so long between my neutralizing. I'm waiting for it to fade and then I do it again.

I had it twice professionnaly done and one by myself.

Skjønnhår
May 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Thx yosha.

HeatherJenae
May 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I use Clairol's Brass Free Brunette Hair Dye. It's specifically designed to dye brown without adding red tones. It works pretty well. It's not 100% without red, but it's the best drugstore dye I've found. Other than that, you should try the Brilliant Brunette Glaze shampoo and conditioner. Each time you wash your hair it will deposit a minimal amount of brown color on your hair without adding any red. The more you use it, the more it will build, and cover your red tones. Good luck, let me know how it goes! :)