PDA

View Full Version : How Much do I tip?

BlueMuse
May 19th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone! I'm going in to get my hair cut soon with my mother's stylist (who is a super nice lady, and I trust her). The thing is, I haven't been to a hair stylist since I was in high school and didn't know you were supposed to tip until I ended up on this forum.

So what is an appropriate tip? Is it like going out to eat- 10% for regular to slightly sub par service up to 20%+ for amazing service? I don't want to be stingy, but I also don't want to totally break the bank by paying double or something.

jojo
May 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I think its about 10% if you are satisfied.

KittyLost
May 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I usually tip £2, unless I'm overjoyed with what she has done then it's £5.

I'm pretty sure it works out well :s I can't quite remember what she charges for certain things I haven't been in a while! I go usually twice a year, birthday and christmas and I think I tip her £5 each time.

caiti42
May 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I have never, ever heard of tipping a hairdresser. How interesting. I don't live in a tipping country though (yea!) so maybe that's why.

*Rose Red*
May 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
In Germany 10% are a good thing.

BrightEyes7
May 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I usually go with 10-20% depending on how happy I am.

So a $50 haircut would require a $10 tip at most.

Ashenputtel
May 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I give 10$ too for a 50$ haircut.

BlueMuse
May 19th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone! I think the hair cut will come out around 40$ or so before the tip, so at least now I have a good idea of what it'll cost me in the end.

Carolyn
May 19th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I usually tip 20% for any salon service unless it was dreadful. I got a pedicure one time where the guy was mean and did a horrible job. I had to ask for the top coat to be applied! When I get my hair trimmed, colored and high lighted at the place I've gone to the last few years I tip 20%. I've had 2 regular stylists at that salon and both of them have done wonderful color work on my hair. I want to keep them happy with me.

Ashenputtel
May 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I usually tip 20% for any salon service unless it was dreadful. I got a pedicure one time where the guy was mean and did a horrible job. I had to ask for the top coat to be applied! When I get my hair trimmed, colored and high lighted at the place I've gone to the last few years I tip 20%. I've had 2 regular stylists at that salon and both of them have done wonderful color work on my hair. I want to keep them happy with me.

Same here. I always get what I want and in return I show my appreciation. I haven't had a haidresser in years who cut too much.

celebriangel
May 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Weird...I've been to all kinds of salons, and as far as I know, we don't tip here. The price is the price. It's never even crossed my mind.