PDA

View Full Version : Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

Annibelle
May 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'd seen HE Hello Hydration mentioned on LHC several times, so I decided to try it. I used it for the first time yesterday (CWC) and WOW! My hair isn't TOO much different, but it's softer AND shinier! It has cones, but so does my normal conditioner. My hair still has flyaways and unwanted waves, but it feels better and is a bit straighter! DH even commented on how cute it looked today-- and he used it on his hair and his hair is softer today, too, though it's so long and straight that softness seems to be the only difference. Just wanted to let y'all know how it went for me, and maybe other thin finies might be interested in trying it! :cheese:

jojo
May 19th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Its a while since I tried this but I liked it too and also a finey!

Nev
July 6th, 2011, 09:10 AM
i'm using this conditioner now and i think its great :) it smells so nice. although i do like breaks over from HE more.

Annibelle
July 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I've stopped using this conditioner since COing and going cone-free... but it smells amazing, and sometimes I just take a whiff of it when I'm in the shower... hehehe.

Intransigentia
July 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
It detangles better than anything else I've tried, but I've almost entirely stopped having acne on my back and shoulders since I stopped using it.

BroadwayBeauty
July 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I've thought about using it, but it has corn silk extract in it, and I'm not sure if that's a protein or not. I'm looking for a hydrating conditioner that doesn't have protein in it, so if this is protein free I'm definitely going to try it!

santie
July 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I use the shampoo and I love it! Smells great and leaves my hair feeling smooth and tangle free. I especially love the new formula... I think it makes my hair smoother than the old formula.

Gypsygirl
July 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I tried it when I stayed with my brother and sister-in-law earlier this year and my hair loved it! :)

PianoPlaye
July 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Ingredients list:
Aqua,Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Parfum, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, EDTA, Hexyl Cinnamal, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Linalool, Magnesium Nitrate, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit,Cocos Nucifera Fruit Extract, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, CI 42090, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate

In case you wanted the detail.

BroadwayBeauty
July 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Ingredients list:
Aqua,Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Parfum, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, EDTA, Hexyl Cinnamal, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Linalool, Magnesium Nitrate, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit,Cocos Nucifera Fruit Extract, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, CI 42090, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate

In case you wanted the detail.

That's really interesting, because the bottle I picked up yesterday had different ingredients listed on it. Maybe there are several formulas running around? I've noticed two different styles on the bottles, so maybe they've reformulated where I'm at.

Nev
July 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I've stopped using this conditioner since COing and going cone-free... but it smells amazing, and sometimes I just take a whiff of it when I'm in the shower... hehehe.

hahahah :lol: i'm keeping this in mind if i ever decide to go cone free!

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 08:41 AM
This is the shampoo and conditioner system I use right now ^-^ However, as I read the ingredients list, I saw that it contains Sodium Hydroxide. Now, I don't know if you have seen the movie called "Good Hair" (all you LHC members MUST look it up, it is a documentary that was written by and stars Chris Rock), but in this movie he researches African-American hair. And so he was talking about relaxers and the chemicals in it. He showed how sodium hydroxide is the main harmful chemical in relaxers, and he also showed how dangerous it is. It is this chemical that causes the scalp to burn when applied to the hair, and and it was shown in an experiment that it can burn all the way through a soda can. Now I am wondering, how potentially damaging is this compound in the Hello Hydration conditioner??

lapushka
July 7th, 2011, 09:54 AM
This is the shampoo and conditioner system I use right now ^-^ However, as I read the ingredients list, I saw that it contains Sodium Hydroxide. Now, I don't know if you have seen the movie called "Good Hair" (all you LHC members MUST look it up, it is a documentary that was written by and stars Chris Rock), but in this movie he researches African-American hair. And so he was talking about relaxers and the chemicals in it. He showed how sodium hydroxide is the main harmful chemical in relaxers, and he also showed how dangerous it is. It is this chemical that causes the scalp to burn when applied to the hair, and and it was shown in an experiment that it can burn all the way through a soda can. Now I am wondering, how potentially damaging is this compound in the Hello Hydration conditioner??

It's not just that one. Some Pantene conditioners have that ingredient too.

Intransigentia
July 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM
"how potentially damaging is this compound in the Hello Hydration conditioner??"

I think I'm having reading fail, I'm not seeing it in the above list?

In any case, no substance is "bad" unless in sufficient concentration and quantity.

Super-concentrated (like when you're using it to make soap), you really shouldn't handle sodium hydroxide without gloves and eye protection. Sufficiently diluted, it could be no worse than baking soda. If it's there, it's most likely for adjusting a too-acidic pH downwards.

Consider another common ingredient:
Citric acid - occurs naturally in fruit. Added to lots of foods and beverages. Good as a mild acidic rinse for hair if you don't like vinegar. Super-concentrated, it's sold as a stain and lime-removing gunk-busting toilet bowl cleaner with all sorts of scary warning labels and you really don't want to splash it on yourself let alone pour it on your hair or drink it.

Dacia
July 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Garnier Ultra Doux 'poos also have it. I wouldn't worry, small concentrations of bases and acids are used as pH adjusters in conditioners and shampoos.

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I think I'm having reading fail, I'm not seeing it in the above list?

In any case, no substance is "bad" unless in sufficient concentration and quantity.

Super-concentrated (like when you're using it to make soap), you really shouldn't handle sodium hydroxide without gloves and eye protection. Sufficiently diluted, it could be no worse than baking soda. If it's there, it's most likely for adjusting a too-acidic pH downwards.

Consider another common ingredient:
Citric acid - occurs naturally in fruit. Added to lots of foods and beverages. Good as a mild acidic rinse for hair if you don't like vinegar. Super-concentrated, it's sold as a stain and lime-removing gunk-busting toilet bowl cleaner with all sorts of scary warning labels and you really don't want to splash it on yourself let alone pour it on your hair or drink it.

Oh alright, that makes sense actually :) After taking AP Chemistry I should have gotten that one sooner haha But yes thank you, now I don't feel so freaked out x]

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Oh and the sodium hydroxide is on the list for the new formula, which is what I use.

irisheyes
July 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I have this in my shower now and have used it 3 times in a row. It made my hair feel very heavy and gummed together when wet. That got worse everytime I used it, so I clarified today and my hair feels so much better.

kmoc123
May 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM
I just used Hello Hydration last night and my hair loves it...so do I! I have been looking for something "new" and this is it!!!

MiamiPineapple
May 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for posting this! I always see that one and I have never bought it because I think the other herbal essense varieties small better but now I have to try! I love cones.

rowie
May 1st, 2013, 05:28 PM
I just bought this yesterday and haven't tried it yet since my hair wash day is only on Sundays. I'm excited, and I hope I get good results so that I don't have to give it away to my sisters.

kmoc123
May 21st, 2013, 11:32 AM
I used this and even bought the huge bottle with a pump, but now my hair, when it dries feels dry and dead. I am going back to Tresseme Anti Breakage.