PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera Gel vs. Juice

KatiSasha
May 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone, I was at the supermarket the other day and saw a huge jug of aloe vera juice for a very reasonable price. After looking into it I discovered that AVG is AVJ plus food grade thickening agent called carrageenan, which is a naturally occurring sea kelp/Irish moss.

Here's my question: Do you think that AVG is such a wonder for hair due to the aloe vera content or the kelp has something to do with it too? The gel products reduce aloe vera content from 99.7% to 99.5%, so the kelp amount in them is negligible, but we've all experienced some great results from very little product (light oilings, leave-in sprays, etc.) The jug of aloe vera juice seems very cost effective and convenient, but is it just as beneficial as AVG? Have you ever AVJ-ed? :)

In2wishin
May 19th, 2011, 11:49 AM
It really depends on what you want out of your aloe. I use the juice as a substitute for some of the water when I make my skin and hair care products. I mostly use the gel for soothing itches, burns, etc. on the skin. If I use the gel on my hair, it ends up feeling stiff.

Firefox7275
May 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Not all aloe vera topical products use carrageenan to thicken, my Aloe Pura Organic contains acryl crosspolymers. For skin at least, the research shows aloe vera - or its derivatives - to have the beneficial properties. A good study will always test a product against a placebo (e.g. water) containing the same thickener, preservatives, colours and fragrance.

You may find the juice needs to be stored in the refrigerator and has a short use by date, as anything suited to internal use will not be full of preservatives. Also juice will drip everywhere, but if you can handle mess or prepare very thick SMTs you might be cool with that? Lastly do check the aloe juice is labelled stabilised as fresh juice contains enzymes that degrade some of the active constituents. :)

KatiSasha
May 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Oh, I should've clarified - I want to use it in SMT and as part of a leave-in. I'm cool with the dripping b/c I have a standing shower, so I can be messy in it and easily rinse everything away afterwards. But if the juice has to be in the fridge, putting it in a leave-in is probably not a good idea. And I will definitely check if it's stabilized. Thank you!

BrightEyes7
May 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I've been wondering the same thing! I've seen that big jug o' juice at Walmart and have been wanting to try it!

WaitingSoLong
May 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I am always surprised when people say AVG makes their hair crunchy. It makes mine very soft! I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact I LOVE CONES.

I did not know there was AVJ as well as AVG. <<<<runs to check her AVG bottle>>>>>well my bottle says 100&#37; aloe vera gel but then has several ingredients I cannot pronounce which they classify as stabilizers. :shrug: whatever works.