PDA

View Full Version : How do you Dry your Hair?......

Hailes
May 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM
So Girls, How do you prefer to dry your Hair?

I am asking this just to see what people prefer?

I used to always let my hair Air Dry. But recently I used a hair dryer when I was in a hurry and my hair felt sooo soft when I
used the hairdryer? So, Lately when I have had a shower after the gym/swimming I have been part blow drying it then leaving it to air dry the rest damp as I walk home?

Which is better for your hair? :confused:

If I let it air dry it tends to go in a more nicer natural curl, where as when I use a hair dryer it tends to be more fly away and frizzy but it felt so smooth at the top of my head?
I do prefer the way it looks when I air dry my hair though.

Does it matter/make a difference how you dry your hair?

Let me know your opinions or any tips :)

(Sorry if there is already a thread for this I couldn't find one?)

CrystalStar
May 19th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I think air drying in general is better for the hair as there is less heat, but a lot of people probably would not fancy going outside with wet hair!

I always air dry my hair, but keep it in a towel for about 20 minutes after a shower to dry it partially!

zirena
May 19th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I always air dry mine (wrap it in a towel for 20 odd minutes then just leave it out to dry) as it's less damaging for your hair.
Since going heat-free I don't dare touch a hair dryer since it can cause heat damage, I never really used them unless in a rush anyways.
I'm not opposed to drying it on a cool setting, though :)

Hailes
May 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Cool, yes I too always towel dry my hair for abit first (not for 20mins tho so I'll start doing that) and IF i do use a dryer I do prefer the cool setting as my head will tend to start to get hot and sweaty if it is on the hot setting!Lol

Sundial
May 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I usually leave mine in a towel while I get dressed, then let it airdry the rest of the way

Firefly
May 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I avoid any kind of heat styling in general. I don't think occasional use of heat is the end of the world, it's just a choice I've made for myself. I usually air dry, sometimes completely loose but more often alternating between loose and up (jaw clip, fak-kare or loose bun). Keeping it up takes FOREVER to dry, so letting it down for a while as it's drying help speed the process along. I also dry with the hair wrap method if I want to straighten. HTH

весна
May 19th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I try to let mine air dry as much as I can, but if I'm in a hurry I'll use heat because the top of my hair doesn't dry as quickly as the length so I'm afraid I might catch a cold. My hair feels silkier when air dried.

dlinoxvostaja
May 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I use my hands to squeeze excess water out (is this damaging?), shake more out by turning my head upside down and kind of spinning (I look like a total lunatic in the meantime, btw) and then I comb it gently and run my fingers through my hair for about an hour and a half. I find it really effective, especially the preening part. I try not to use a towel except to dab at it and I never use blowdryers, it feels nice yeah but then I get terrible breakage.

Chetanlaiho
May 19th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I squeeze most of the water out, blot it with a tshirt, wrap it in said tshirt, leave it in for about fifteen minutes, and then I let it airdry loose ^^ (after headbanging for a bit, it seems to help xD) If I'm really in a hurry I'll airdry my bangs and bun the rest damp.

My hair seems to be drying faster now that I finish with a cold rinse :)

growingpains
May 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Most people here seem to airdry as overall it's better for the longevity and condition on your hair. Yes, blowdrying can give sleeker results in a timely manner, but it does cause damage, especially if any heat is involved.

Madora
May 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Airdry exclusively! The kindest way to dry your hair. With my 42 inch hair, it takes 20 minutes to dry (outside)..45 minutes indoors (with the aid of a portable electric heater). I have a special "fanning" technique that speeds drying.

Hailes
May 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone! :D

As I said I used to always only Airdry my hair so I think I will go back to that, BUT as I said before, the odd time I am in a rush etc IF i do use a dryer I will make sure I use the Cool setting!!

KayBee
May 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I haven't owned a dryer for years. I wrap mine in a towel for the first 15 mins or so and then let it air dry.

Sabriel
May 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I let it air dry. I'm sure it's been said, but heat is bad for your hair. Plus blowdrying may be faster, but air drying is easier ;)

JuliaDancer
May 19th, 2011, 10:36 AM
What do you do in the winter? I've started air drying my hair only, now that it's gotten so long, but it's Spring now. When I would shower in winter, I would have to blow dry my hair before going to work. Even if it's a little damp, it makes me really cold having wet hair. Do you all shower at night? How do you deal with damp hair going to sleep?

LadieRyrie
May 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I squeeze my hair and air dry. But I shower at night, so no one really sees me. If I showered in the morning, I don't think it would really bother me whether people see my hair wet. *shrugs*

BLove
May 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I am unable to air dry exclusivly due to the fact it takes about 24 hours for it to air dry even in dry summer heat. Pluse I am not allowed to have wet or damp hair at work (it is in the employee manual) So I wash my hair at night and blow dry on the lowest heat setting till it is damp. At this point I oil and go to bed. When I get up it is almost dry (enough to go to work and not get in trouble lol)

Barbie Diamond
May 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I prefer to hair dry until my hair is mostly dry (some moisture maybe 20%) and the blow dry on low.

Kristin
May 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I let it sit in a towel for awhile (anywhere from 10 mins to an hour) and then blowdry my bangs and the roots, but then let it air dry the rest of the way; I can't handle a freezing head in the winter. Plus, if I let it air dry completely it has been known to take upwards of 12 hours (though only 3-4 in the summer).

Venya
May 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I just let mine dry naturally. Way too afraid of my roots getting fried. : )

Jean Stuart
May 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
My method has been changing as I try new things. Right now I turbie wrap gently as I dry off and get dressed. Then I wrap the length in a t-shirt material pillow case and let it drip.

Ashenputtel
May 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Towel dry for 5-10 minutes after oiling then let it air dry. I do this at night so I don't need to change routine in the winter.

WittyWordsmith
May 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I squeeze as much water out of my hair as I can in the shower (without twisting it). I even separate it and squeeze individual sections from top to bottom.

Then, I wrap my hair in a heavy cotton t-shirt to dry while I get dressed, etc. I gently shake it out, scrunch remaining water out with the shirt, and then scrunch in aloe vera gel.

I don't comb it, and I don't smooth it with oil until it is entirely dry.

christine1989
May 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I air dry even though it usually takes 5+ hours to dry :rolleyes:. I would love to use a blowdryer but heat really effects my hair badly (worse than most people). A week of heat and my hair will be full of split ends.

Hailes
May 20th, 2011, 04:09 AM
What do you do in the winter? I've started air drying my hair only, now that it's gotten so long, but it's Spring now. When I would shower in winter, I would have to blow dry my hair before going to work. Even if it's a little damp, it makes me really cold having wet hair. Do you all shower at night? How do you deal with damp hair going to sleep?
Yes I was thinking the same thing, what about winter? Because I go to a leisure club alot to do swimming, gym etc if I leave my hair wet to dry when I have had a shower, in winter I have to walk home with wet hair and it makes me feel colder!and could make me catch a cold easier! So I do tend to dry it until its at least damp in winter, then I will put my hood up on my walk home Lol but its summer now so hopefuly someone will have a tip for winter before then!Lol :)

caiti42
May 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM

I'm a cold/wet hair hater and I combat this problem by washing my hair as soon as I get home from work at about 6pm and then letting it air dry. If its still damp when I want to go to bed I use the cool setting on the dryer and it only takes about 5 minutes! I can't go to bed with wet hair or I wake up with horrible headaches.

I find this works pretty well for me. :)

Firefly
May 20th, 2011, 07:00 AM
RE: Winter... I usually do the same thing as I described in my earlier post, except I tend to spend more time curled up in front of the wood stove LOL. Definitely cuts down on the drying time. Barring that, I will just wear it up more and possibly not let it loose as often-- it just means in dries a little more slowly. It really hasn't been an issue for me, but YMMV.

KittyLost
May 20th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I leave it to airdry loose if i'm not doing anything or in pigtail plaits when I'm busy/going to bed.