PDA

View Full Version : Itching scalp, for the first time ever -worried!

MonaLisa
May 19th, 2011, 12:59 AM
It started yesterday...More in the lower areas -nape and sides...
I have no clue why...
I haven't changed routine at all, doing what I always have...SLS shampoo and no cones conditioner, sometimes CWC wash...
I stopped using castor oil for several weeks even because I got lazy..

Only thing that occurs to me...is that last weekend I washed it saturday and sunday, because i used a bit of hairspray on saturday which i dont ever do...(but on ends only)..
Usually I wash it once in like 4, 5 days.

Why the itching...and how dangerous it is?
I'm paranoid about shedding...

And is there something I can do?:confused:

Firefox7275
May 19th, 2011, 01:12 AM
No-one can answer that question - could be head lice, an allergy (even to a product you have been using for ages), sweat, changes in temperature. Why not wash your hair and see if that makes any difference?

MonaLisa
May 19th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I did yesterday, and I used a different shampoo, it didn't help :(

I don't sweat much...and even when I worked out hard and did it didn't itch..
As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything..and would it cause just certain parts of head to itch?
No itching on top...Mostly at nape and above nape areas..
Really doubt its lice..

:confused::confused::confused:

Hope it will stop just as it came...but I'm confused and worried

Mesmerise
May 19th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Try doing an ACV rinse. That's helped a lot of people with itching problems!

Sundial
May 19th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Try doing an ACV rinse. That's helped a lot of people with itching problems!

I agree with Mesmerise! Do try out an ACV rinse first :) it does help with itchies sometimes

MonaLisa
May 19th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Ok guys, thank you! I'll try that!
Just tell me - after ACV rinse, do you rinse it out one more time with water?
And do you mix ACV itself with water and in what proportion if yes? :)

skyblue
May 19th, 2011, 02:40 AM
about a tablespoon to one cup water, pour over your head, massage it in, rinse with cool water, this really helps my itchies and you'll end up with some really shinny hair too ;)

Panth
May 19th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Ok guys, thank you! I'll try that!
Just tell me - after ACV rinse, do you rinse it out one more time with water?
And do you mix ACV itself with water and in what proportion if yes? :)

Yes, you do dilute it. Personally, I do 1 teaspoon ACV (or, in my case, white wine vinegar to prevent colouring of my blonde) to 1 pint cool water.

Something to consider is cheap hairtoys (or even not-so-cheap ones). Last time I had serious massive itchies the cause ended up being an allergy to the nickel in my Flexi-8.

If the ACV doesn't work you could try a sugar scrub. Mix sugar (brown if possible as it has larger grains) with coconut oil or conditioner to make a thick paste. Massage it gently over the scalp. Then, wash it out very thoroughly. Lots of people find that's soothing although, obviously, it won't cure the problem unless you stop using the offending substance that caused it all.

Firefox7275
May 19th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I did yesterday, and I used a different shampoo, it didn't help :(

I don't sweat much...and even when I worked out hard and did it didn't itch..
As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything..and would it cause just certain parts of head to itch?
No itching on top...Mostly at nape and above nape areas..
Really doubt its lice..

:confused::confused::confused:

Hope it will stop just as it came...but I'm confused and worried

Head lice are the most likely to itch only in certain areas, that's why I mentioned it. Allergies most often develop over time to products you have used for years, and they can sometimes itch only in certain areas, if you didn't wash a product out thoroughly enough, if that part of your scalp touches your bedsheets (washing powder or softener). Both lice and allergies can be worse in the warmer parts of your hair, so in the underlayers or behind a bun. Not saying it is those, could be other things -- it's not possible to diagnose over the internet. :shrug: The less you scratch the better, use something cold to relieve the itching so you don't get stuck in a scratch-itch cycle. If it doesn't go away with a vinegar rinse it's best to get a pharmacist or nurse to examine your scalp.

Konstifik
May 19th, 2011, 03:25 AM
It could be lots of reasons. Have you had eczema previously in your life (or currrently)?
Last year I got an itching spot in the nape which slowly spread over the scalp, turned out to be returning eczema which I had in my childhood.

bonnie1735
May 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
My itches started when I moved to the country and started using well water over a year ago. I use an ACV, a few drops of Tea Tree Oil, a few drops of Peppermint oil, warm water rinse helps to a degree. I don't rinse mine out. I CO most of the time and CWC when it needs it. I have tried all different kinds of conditioners but with no success. I even tried dandriff shampoo for a couple of days but it made it worse. A couple of nights a week I will mix Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Oil, Cocconut Oil and some water to massage my scalp with and leave in over night. It helps but I still have the itchies but not so bad.

Sundial
May 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
For ACV rinse, I dilute it about 1 tablespoon to 2 cups and I rinse mine out because the smell bothers me. But I know some people use it as a final rinse (they don't rinse it out).

It could be lots of reasons. Have you had eczema previously in your life (or currrently)?
Last year I got an itching spot in the nape which slowly spread over the scalp, turned out to be returning eczema which I had in my childhood.

I have eczema in the same area as Konstifik along the nape. If the ACV doesn't solve the issue, then do consult a doctor

jojo
May 19th, 2011, 06:37 AM
it might be your hair growing! :)

celebriangel
May 19th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Might it just be because you washed your hair twice in a row and your scalp is a bit dry and unhappy? You could try dabbing a teensy bit of oil on an itchy bit and rubbing in to test - if it feels better, maybe you just need more moisture.

lesbia
May 19th, 2011, 07:17 AM
have tou tried aloe gel or honey?

Ashenputtel
May 19th, 2011, 07:27 AM
My hair has always been itchy. I can't put it up or it's a nightmare. For me ACV rinse was a NIGHTMARE. It burn like hell. ACV mixed in my shampoo once a week does it better. Only the scalp once a week too.

Anje
May 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM
For me ACV rinse was a NIGHTMARE. It burn like hell.
Did you dilute it? Straight vinegar or a strong dilution is pretty likely to burn, but a weak dilution (no stronger than 1/8 vinegar) isn't likely to hurt unless you have broken skin on your scalp.

I'd suggest using a weaker vinegar rinse and not rinsing it out. The smell should mostly dissipate as hair dries, and the additional acidity may do the scalp good.

If that doesn't fix things, have someone look at your scalp. Eczema, psoriasis, and a lot of culprits will definitely look different even to untrained eyes, and they'll be able to tell you to go to the doctor. If you have a fiend who is a teacher or perhaps an experienced parent with elementary + aged children, they may know enough of what lice look like to identify them as well.

Ashenputtel
May 19th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Did you dilute it? Straight vinegar or a strong dilution is pretty likely to burn, but a weak dilution (no stronger than 1/8 vinegar) isn't likely to hurt unless you have broken skin on your scalp.

I'd suggest using a weaker vinegar rinse and not rinsing it out. The smell should mostly dissipate as hair dries, and the additional acidity may do the scalp good.

If that doesn't fix things, have someone look at your scalp. Eczema, psoriasis, and a lot of culprits will definitely look different even to untrained eyes, and they'll be able to tell you to go to the doctor. If you have a fiend who is a teacher or perhaps an experienced parent with elementary + aged children, they may know enough of what lice look like to identify them as well.

I likely have psoariasis and a broken scalp. My dilution was very low. I just have a problem scalp. Seeing a dermatologist here can take a year to a year and a half to get an appointment.

pixiestar
May 19th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've got a sensitive scalp, and quite often get scalp itching, for me its the sls's in shampoo I think:confused: I still use a shampoo with sls but it has lower sls's, and its been much better:) Maybe try a sls free shampoo and see how it goes:)

MonaLisa
May 21st, 2011, 09:25 AM
Thank you everyone! I'd freak out much more if it wasn't for you!

So, i got my sis to check for head lice or any redness or such...
She saw nothing she says, except tons of new hairs :D and tiny bit of dandruff in lower part of my head ( where it itches the most).
I suppose new growth doesn't itch? because it never itched before :confused:

So maybe it's more dry than usually because of SLS shampoo 2 days in row..and because i got some dandruff which i also havent seen for many years..

Gonna do ACV rinse now, but if it still will itch, i have one more reason to use castor oil i guess :)

happybear
May 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
I'm having this problem right now too, in the same area, the back of my head. It started after I hennaed for the first time. I thought it may have dried my scalp out, I did an SMT today and it really helped

Chamy
May 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have had problems with itching scalp earlier. For me it helped to use ACV diluted real well, it was probably a ph problem. Maybe you could try that too?

I dont think you should worry, maybe wait a while to see if it goes away and then take action.

MonaLisa
May 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Just done 15 mins pre-wash castor oil+ EVOO and then wash and condition + ACV rinse.. Itching seems much less for now, tho not completely gone :rolleyes:

But my hair has never looked/felt better :o
Love it sooo much! Makes me panic even more tho :(
Don't want anything bad to happen!!! sorry for this childish whine!:o

Gaelle27
May 22nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
I was in your situation too, and solve the problem whith vinegar rinse after every shampoo....and it works great!
good luck!

santie
May 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
This past winter my nape got really itchy and it started to scab. I didn't really do anything about it until a month or so later, when I realized my hair started falling out in the itchy region. :( I don't have a history of any sort of scalp conditions. I went to the doctor and he told me it was due to my scalp being dry, and that I should oil it. So I used coconut oil for a couple of weeks and the itchiness/scabs went away. My hair is slowly started to grow back now...

I had also tried out vinegar rinses, but that didn't seem to help at all. I really recommend oiling your scalp!