PDA

View Full Version : Summer Care

Sofoulee
June 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I am a big-time swimmer, long-time fan of it... it doesn't matter where... the beach, the lake, the pool.

BUT

it can really damage my hair.

I was wondering what all of your tips and tricks are for keeping hair healthy if it's gonna be wet/dry/wet again all day long.

What styles and/or products do you use???

I love to hear from you!!!

soleluna
June 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I use monoi oil. And am looking for the perfect hat ;)

chrissy-b
June 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Wetting my hair and adding conditioner and coconut oil before a swim really helps. Scarves and hats in the sun do too!

florenonite
June 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Well, for lakes I don't do anything, and find my hair actually quite likes lake water, though I know that depends upon the cleanliness of the lake (although if I'm going to have to wash my hair after swimming in a lake chances are I won't go in it :P). I've found with swimming in a chlorinated pool, if my hair isn't in need of a wash beforehand a short CO with a condish containing EDTA works wonders. If it does need a wash beforehand I'll use a moisturising shampoo and condish. I also wet my hair before going into the pool if I remember/can be bothered. As for the sea, I just wash or CO afterwards like I do with a pool, though I haven't swum in salt water much, as the North Sea is generally too cold for full submersion and where I live in Canada there's no sea for hundreds of miles.

Tap Dancer
June 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Definitely wet your hair before you go swimming. You don't want your hair to absorb the chlorine. And when you get out of the pool, rinse your hair with water again. (The same applies at the beach.)

Anje
June 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Adding another vote for wetting your hair with fresh water before swimming in chlorine or salt water. I don't bother if I'm in and out of a lake all the time, which is my preferred swimming environment.

I usually just wear a long braid when I'm in and out of the water a lot. It's still tangled (especially at the base, where the shorter stuff pulls out), but much better than it otherwise might be.

I burned my scalp (not just my part, but the whole top of my head) about a week ago, when I was in and out of water a lot. It started peeling a little today. So I'm going to add that you might want to apply a spray-on sunscreen to your scalp, or else where a hat or bandana most of the time. Sunscreen shouldn't hurt your hair, either, if you want to work it in, but you'll have to shampoo it out.

Sofoulee
June 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Are braids pretty much the standard if you're going to be in water??

Anje
June 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I've seen lots of loose hair or ponytails, too, but for me those mean tangles and/or mouthfuls of hair when I come up for air.

Darkhorse1
June 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I seem to recall many years ago, revlon made a shampoo for swimmers. I'm not sure if they have any you can purchase at a salon--it's something that is not harsh on your hair, but removes the chlorine. Then, there is a conditioner that rehydrates. I love swimming too, but I tend to swim in lakes.

Magicknthenight
June 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM
i am going to oceans of fun tommarow for my birthday!:cheese:
And i was gonna wash my hair tonight but then i wondered...should i wash my hair and then wet it down and put oil in it?
Or would it be better to go swimming with it unwashed so maybe the natural oil can protect it better?
just wondering thanks!

>.> i feel really bad im gonna have my hair in clorine..one time wont hurt right?!

Missie
June 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
where I live it can get well over the 100's F (like 45C some days) and my best way of avoiding sun bleaching and dryness is to stay out of the sun as much as possible and wear a hat if going out can't be avoided during the heat of the day.. I avoid getting my hair wet in the ocean (you don't HAVE to dive in when you swim) and heaps of conditioner and leave in conditioner and a fine oil.. Even following my own advice my hair is much frizzier in summer.. I try not to examine it too closely at those times or the scissors will tempt me rrrrrrrrrrr

Tap Dancer
June 19th, 2008, 04:42 AM
i am going to oceans of fun tommarow for my birthday!:cheese:
And i was gonna wash my hair tonight but then i wondered...should i wash my hair and then wet it down and put oil in it?
Or would it be better to go swimming with it unwashed so maybe the natural oil can protect it better?
just wondering thanks!

>.> i feel really bad im gonna have my hair in clorine..one time wont hurt right?!

First of all, happy birthday! :gift:

I don't think it matters too much if your hair is freshly washed or not. Using water or water/conditioner before you go swimming will definitely keep the chlorine (or sand if you're at the beach) out of your hair. I don't know anything about oil, though.

florenonite
June 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Are braids pretty much the standard if you're going to be in water??

I don't braid my hair for swimming because my hair's thick and the layers will inevitably fall out. Instead I do a ponytail-type thing, but don't pull the hair all the way through, so it's more of a bun. Your hair looks quite thick and reasonably short, too, so something like this might be easier for you.

Sofoulee
June 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

Magicknthenight
June 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
First of all, happy birthday! :gift:

I don't think it matters too much if your hair is freshly washed or not. Using water or water/conditioner before you go swimming will definitely keep the chlorine (or sand if you're at the beach) out of your hair. I don't know anything about oil, though.

Thanks again! I had condictioned my hair the night before then pretty much drowned the ends in olive oil haha. Then put it in two braids. my hair was still kinda dry when i was finished of 3 hours of swimming but i shampooed my hair real good and then conditioned twice and deep-condictioned once. Thanks :cheese:

Darkhorse1
June 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Just read this in a beauty magazine---two women that work with dolphins/whales who are constantly in water say they soak their hair with fresh water before as they are in salt water all day, and then they condition it heavily once a week. Their hair looked pretty good :)

It's in the July Issue of First for Women

Sofoulee
June 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
So, I think it's pretty much a rule of thumb to saturate your hair with fresh water and condish, or something of the like before hopping into a pool or the ocean...?

jojo
June 21st, 2008, 06:27 PM
I do a tuck up, where I go to put a pony in my hair, but don't pull all my hair through the elastic, will probably put a load of coconut oil on this year prior to swimming too!

paulap20
June 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I just noticed how frizzy my hair IS getting. I just got a pass to the closest pool and plan on going often with my kids. I also do the tuck(pony but not pulling it all the way through the last time) when I go. I will start using more oil again and getting it wet before getting in the pool which I have not been doing.