PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone's hair behave better WITHOUT conditioner?

shikara
May 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I'm going to give it a little more time to see if it's my imagination or not but.... when I started getting information online about hair care, it dawned on my that I had not conditioned my hair for a veerrrrrryyyy long time, and was happy that I was now going to take better care. My hair certainly LOOKS better and FEELS softer with conditioner but ever since I started using it, it seems there are FAR MORE tangles. It is always secured, and I have used a few cone products, and a couple cone free, as well as oils. Tonight I washed without condish, and the combing process was divine compared to the usual. Anyone else experience this?

Luna12345
May 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Conditioner in the shower is a must for me...but I realised when I was using leave in conditioners my hair definately ended up with more tangles the next day and felt crunchy. Sometimes less is more. My hair is usually healthier when I stick just to one product after the shower...but everyones hair is different and it also changes with the weather

Luna12345
May 18th, 2011, 11:08 PM
it does make the tangles less....one conditioner I love is TRESemme....They have some with cones and there's one without cones TRESemme naturals. I've used three diffirent Tressemme conditioners and the silicone free one was my favorite. It's only $7 and I think it's better than a $30 conditioner from the hair salon.

pixiestar
May 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM
My hair definitely does not behave without conditioner:( I get a tangled birds nest without it:D
I like tresemme naturals also, cone free:D

Konstifik
May 19th, 2011, 03:02 AM
*raises hand*
My hair seems to despise conditioners. No matter how I use them of what they are made of, they make my hair all heavy and limp, weird texture and tangle-prone. Even if I stand half an hour trying to rinse it out. Shampoos, however, makes my hair all sleek, shiny and mostly well-behaved. :)

Firefox7275
May 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Some conditioners go horribly sticky and tangly whilst they are drying - esp. noticeable with leave-ins - but give slip whilst in the shower and once the hair is completely dry (this can be overnight with my SL hair). Perhaps you are trying to detangle at the wrong stage in the drying process? :shrug:

Panth
May 19th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Yes, but only if I do oil shampoo instead. Otherwise it's dry, tangled, unmanageable and breaks.

Loreley
May 19th, 2011, 04:09 AM
In my case only coney conditioners cause problems. With cones my hair is much more tangly, there are knots on the strands and it's a bit frizzy. I'm using up my coney stuff now, and although it makes my hair feel like silk it causes tangles. I really don't understand this. :rolleyes: I don't have these problems when I'm using cone-free conditioners. I think there are not much benefits of using conditioners because I use a very mild sulfate-free shampoo which isn't drying at all. I'm switching to shampoo only (+coconut oil) as soon as I use up my old conditioners.

Dina L.
May 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I've never used a conditioner and I'm very happy with my hair. I use a light babybath (no sls, no cones) as a shampoo then ACV rinse -- and I hardly get any tangles. This routine is so good, that I don't dare to try out anything else. :)

jojo
May 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM
I tried no conditioner the other week and although it was more tangly when wet. I combed it through once dry and it was really silky and shiny; I liked it!

skyblue
May 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
it would be interesting to try lol
I'm not sure if I ever shampooed without using
conditioner, ever! I don't think I'd be able to comb it out
maybe next wash day I'll try just to see how my hair reacts!

Lianna
May 19th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Seems like you had build-up. My hair gets very tangly when I have protein build-up. I can live without conditioner for a while, but since I like to wash everyday, I can't go longer than two weeks or starts to feel dry.

littlenvy
May 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I go without conditioner when I ACV or do the catnip rinse. Once dry my hair is more than fine. :)

Ashenputtel
May 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
My hair is very tangly period. I have thick fine hair with a dry nape. It always get tangle even when I bun it. I wouldn't daire going without conditionner.

virgo75
May 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM
The only time my hair was happy without conditioner was when I used Shikakai to wash exclusively and oiled with coconut oil. My hair was the most well behaved it has ever been in my life: No frizz, no tangles, shiney, happy. :cloud9:

However, there was a recall on "Hesh" brand(the one I used) and I could no longer buy Shikakai locally. I've tried some other brand of Shikakai ordered over the internet and it was horrible. :nono:

So conditioner works better for me I guess.

But really- you should do whatever works best for your hair. No 2 heads of hair are exactly alike or will like the same things. :flower:

growingpains
May 19th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I think I went the vast majority of my life as a child and teen using 'two in one' (i.e. PERT PLUS). For me, conditioner was a great addition, though two in one didn't seem half bad. The rare occasions I now go C free (i.e. if I'm at my BF's and he runs out) the result is something that does not even feel like hair.

Great for you though that shampoo only works well! If this is the method you go, it's probably be good for you to use gentle SLS free shampoos and also to come up with some other method of occasionally moisturizing hair.

Hailes
May 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I don't think I have ever washed my hair without conditioner? My hair doesnt feel nice and smooth when washing it until I put the conditioner in so I always use it. Maybe one day I might see what its like if I dont, but I bet my hair would be a pain to comb through if Ijust shampoo! Lol

Mrspuddinhead
May 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Funny thing actually. Before joining LHC I used to only use shampoo because the conditioner alwas seemed to make my roots extremely oily. With this method I was able to wash my hair every other day. This is when I lived in Alabama and the air there is much different then here in California. I've noticed here the air makes my skin and hair extremely dry which lead me to trying only CO washes. I'm not quite sure if this is working either. Still to soon to see. I'm going to give it another month then go back to just using ACV and shampoo.

motormuffin
May 19th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I got a wild hair the other day and tried this...and here this post is now...how about that? I washed my hair with my face bar and then oiled with safflower. It was pretty tangly but was SO soft when it dried. I may have added a wee bit too much oil but the second day my hair looked like a million. I'm going to try this again and see how it goes. I wash my hair twice a week. This was the first time I washed with that 'soap', no condish and oiled with that oil. I've been using safflower on my face and body and it was going so well...I though maybe the hair would dig it too. Very interesting.

Anje
May 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I know I get more tangles with cone conditioners and protein conditioners, but fewer with my cheap fatty-alcohol stuff. Then again, I get more tangles with shampoo only than conditioner only or water only.

gogirlanime
May 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I let my hair air-dry without conditioner a few days ago and I realized that it felt much softer than with conditioner. I do conditioner every other day now. I oil my hair every night so I see the need for conditioner only every other day now. As for "behaving" I think it's about the same, maybe it's a bit more frizzy but I don't know because I keep my hair up all day everyday I let it air-dry a little bit but then put it up.