PDA

View Full Version : I might regret this, BUT....flat iron lovers!

Quixotica
May 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Is there anyone here that doesn't believe that a flat iron is the devil? :) :)

More importantly - where are those of you that use a flat iron regularly? Let's talk!

I guess I'm just very, very lucky. I chemically color my hair, flat iron and occasionally curl it ( usually only on wash days...maybe once or twice weekly)....and it looks really healthy and feels like silk, even when I wear it natural. I constantly get compliments and have had people SEARCH my hair for split ends and damage to no avail ( I'm sure I have some damage - it would be impossible to have perfect hair, but it's nothing glaring ) .

I feel more comfortable and prouder of my hair when I flat iron it. I wear it down and show it off....to some that may be wrong, but if something makes me feel better about myself, I don't think it can be all bad... :shrug:

So, flat - ironers : stand up and speak out! :)

P.S. : I know that heat tools are NOT for everyone, and that they can be very damaging to some hair types. I'm just calling out to those that *can* use them :cheese:

christine1989
May 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I was a total flat iron addict in middle school but unfortunatly it ruined my hair :(. I still love the look though and am counting the days until I get my hair flat ironed for graduation in June :cheese:. I figure that after 6+ years of pampering my hair it can take the heat (just this once).

kwaniesiam
May 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Flat irons aren't evil. Overuse of them can be, but as long as you have a good quality flat iron and use a good heat protectant to minimize the damage occasional use isn't anything to worry about for *most people* (some hair types can handle heat better than others).

I used mine more on a pixie cut, as well as a blowdryer. Short hair just takes more work to style than long for me.

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Until I joined LHC I loved my flat iron too ;) Now I wonder if the reason my hair is so frizzy and uncontrollable these days is because of my flat iron love :(. I didn't use it that much, but to really get my hair straight and to eliminate all frizz, I had to put the temperature up fairly high (although a hairdresser did once tell me not to put it above 200 degrees C, and to keep it at 180 if possible). I used to put it to at least 210. Bad me. (Not sure what that is in F??).

But you know, if your hair looks great desipite flat ironing it, then I see no problem with doing it. I'm really working hard to have nice hair, because my hair DOESN'T look good when I just leave it. If it did...then I'd keep doing the straightening etc. I figure that the only way I'll know what my hair's truly capable of being, is if I eliminate the vast majority of potentially damaging behaviour (ie dye and heat).

But yeah, whatever works for you, and if you like it and it doesn't bother your hair, then that's great!

Alex Lou
May 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I love the way that my hair looks when ironed. Well, it is trendy. I always used my flat iron on the lowest setting to minimize damage. My hair didn't "sizzle." But what I really don't like about a flat iron is how long it takes on my thick hair doing it in sections. And I think that tangible damage is inevitable once you grow hair to a certain length. It's more of a texture difference that I've noticed rather than splits. It's dryer and more unruly where it's been ironed over and over again.

My iron stopped working, so now I'm truly iron-free. I actually get women saying that they wish they had my waves and I think that ultimately irons are incomparable with long hair. We'll see how it goes.

racrane
May 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I used to like it when my hair was chin length because my wavy hair just didn't work for a bob. Now that it's longer, I prefer the natural look. But my hair does hold up very well to heat. Oh, and I find it entertaining that there's a flat iron experts ad right above me as I type. :D

Syaoransbear
May 18th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I still flat iron occasionally, maybe once every two months or so. I used to flat iron every day but I couldn't get my hair longer than APL length doing that so I stopped. I love my hair flat ironed, it's so smooth and soft and it doesn't tangle as easily. I really miss it. Sometimes I debate cutting off my hair back to APL and doing clip in hair extensions again. They looked awesome, and I miss actually doing stuff and having fun with my hair. Updos are no fun for me at all.

RocketDog
May 18th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I use a flatiron on days when I wear my bangs down, and I do indulge in having my hair blown out and ironed when I get it cut once or twice a year. If I wore my hair down I'd probably be tempted to use my NICE flatiron more often, but since I do love the way freshly ironed hair feels and looks... but it would be a waste nowadays, since my hair goes straight into an updo as soon as I wake up and doesn't come down 'til I go to bed.

prosperina
May 18th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Weird salon experience with flat irons recently: I went to go get my hair done for graduation. I feel like getting my MA entitles me to some flat iron fun. The woman said my hair was too long to flat iron? :confused: I started by saying I wanted it straight by not super flat and body-less. I dislike having my hair so straight and lank it looks plastered to my head, so I guess that's why she opted for the round brush and blow dryer. I think she was just intimidated by the amount of hair I have and was too busy to flat iron it. Anyhow, it still looked really great when she was done, so I guess it doesn't matter. Having straight hair for two or three days was wonderful, plus my hair tangled much less and was sleekier and I could see the length. :inlove:

Obligatory LHC-style flat iron warning: Keep in mind though, what you can do at APL and what you can do at waist or hip are two different things.

HintOfMint
May 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I love having my hair flat ironed and it is a 4 time a year indulgence, including the twice yearly salon appointment. As soon as I master wrapping my hair at this length, I'll probably just limit it to the salon visits, but that's not happening anytime soon.

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Weird salon experience with flat irons recently: I went to go get my hair done for graduation. I feel like getting my MA entitles me to some flat iron fun. The woman said my hair was too long to flat iron? :confused: I started by saying I wanted it straight by not super flat and body-less. I dislike having my hair so straight and lank it looks plastered to my head, so I guess that's why she opted for the round brush and blow dryer. I think she was just intimidated by the amount of hair I have and was too busy to flat iron it. Anyhow, it still looked really great when she was done, so I guess it doesn't matter. Having straight hair for two or three days was wonderful, plus my hair tangled much less and was sleekier and I could see the length. :inlove:

Obligatory LHC-style flat iron warning: Keep in mind though, what you can do at APL and what you can do at waist or hip are two different things.

I would guess that she was maybe worried about the damage that could be caused by flat ironing long hair? Because of course, hair isn't too long to flat iron (physically). I mean your hair is long, but not like knee length... which I imagine would intimidate most people when it came to straightening!

But yeah, I never heard that one before either lol.

Elenna
May 19th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Before LHC, I used a curling iron to straighten my hair and it just made the texture crimped and unruly. Since stopping any heat (even just a curling iron), my hair has improved drastically and it is much longer. If you want long hair don't use a flat iron.

Blackfire
May 19th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I always flat iron the front portion of my 3a hair! I dont like the look when the whole thing is curly...idk why, lol, it just gives it more shape. now that my hair is shorter and I have bangs I have to flat iron at least the bangs every day

growingpains
May 19th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I am a seasoned ex flat iron user (daily for at least 8 years) and here are my lessons:

1) I can have perfect split free hair as long as APL when using a flat iron daily, if the heat is low, even with chemical dye
2) I can grow my hair at least as long as BSL using a flat iron daily, though there will be some damage (noticeable texture change and white dots)
3) I can't get past APL without significant damage if using a flat iron at max heat and dying hair at same time
4) Flat ironing damaged hair makes things so much worse, though it looks better
5) since growing out much of my heat damage the new growth does not have that same 'frizziness' problem the old hair used to that was always heat styled.
6) Now that my hair is MBL I notice SIGNIFICANT damage EVERY time I use the straightener, whereas at APL+ I had perfect split free hair despite frying daily.

In my experience, getting past MBL with daily flat ironing is nearly impossible, at least if I want nice hair and a decent hemline. Flat ironing weekly is better. In general, the longer you want to grow the more careful you need to be with heat.

That said, I totally get the preference for heat. I was like that for soo long. One way to see it is may as well enjoy your hair! Plus, you have much courser hair than me which probably really helps prevent damage.

Happy growing! I'm curious to see if and/or when you start to notice damage!

ericthegreat
May 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM
You see how perfectly straight and ultra shiny my hair is in my avatar and all my album photos? I'll say it once and I'll say it again: I get my hair blown out AND flat-ironed professionally at the salon whenever I'm having pictures taken. Even though I'm almost a 1a, my natural hair still doesn't have that glaring shine and silky finish that I get from using heat. I absolutely understand where you're coming from Quixotica, to be honest I too like my 'occasionally heat-styled shiny sleek' texture much more than my 'naturally straight but just hangs there' texture.

And I find myself saying this again and again, but speaking as a hairstylist who is very well-versed in good haircare, I have to say that the general LHC consensus about 'absolutely no heat-styling, no ponytails, no coloring, no highlights, no straightening, no perming, no frequent washing, basically no anything' is honestly way overboard. A healthy strand of hair is as strong as a strand of iron of the same thickness. Now multiply those iron-strong strands by 100,000 (the average number of hairs on a human head). Our hair is a lot stronger than we give it credit for! :beerchug:

Now yes, overabuse of using heat or chemicals or a combination of both heat and chemicals used excessively can and does lead to breakage and or damage to the hair.
But, using heat occasionally or chemicals very carefully, and add to that doing a haircare routine that includes moisturizing treatments and oils to help compensate? That will not significantly damage your hair at all. :flower:

darklion
May 19th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I loved my hair flat ironed! I did everything wrong too... I'd set it at the highest setting, I'd flat iron my hair damp, etc. I seem to have pretty tough hair. Now that my hair is heading past waist, the damage is becoming more evident. I just figure that it's the price I have to pay. Lot's of S&D with my scissors.

alwayssmiling
May 19th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I've said it many times - you need to enjoy your hair everyday at every stage and if that involves heat styling then go for it. If you are not getting damage then you must be doing it correctly and are having regular trims? The only problem that I have with straightening is that it has made my growth significantly slower because I have had to keep trimming - but I have had growth all the same.

I also agree with Eric our hair is reasonably tough as long as we are sensible. My hair dresser used to say that straighteners are good for your hair because they "seal" in moisture (though I don't believe this is true).

Unofficial_Rose
May 19th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I did the "no heat styling" thing for about a year, and all that happened was that my hair didn't look so good. I still had to trim it just as often. I'm relieved to hear this validated by others!

I can get away with flat-ironing too, unless I have bleached highlights, in which case I have to be very sparing with it. I really can't do without blowdrying when my hair's shorter than shoulder length - just looks awful.

Chetanlaiho
May 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I straighten my bangs every week because they look terrible if I don't xD I try to use a low heat setting, protecting spray (at least it won't hurt? ^^;) and try to limit the amount of times I'm doing it.

I had my bangs trimmed the other day and the stylist used an iron so hot that the hair nearly scorched my eyes as they fell down from the iron O_o and she passed over each piece till it was super flat and lifeless (and proceeded to compliment me on my 'thick' hair ironically enough xD).

While I don't notice real damage in my (eyebrow length) blunt bangs, although they occasionally feel dryer, I do notice damage in my sidebangs (chinlength to shoulder length depending on how long I haven't been to the hairdresser xD). I tried wrapping those and it worked great but they're a bit too long for it now :/

I haven't straightened my length in well over a year, and before that I did it like six times a year, at most. But I'm learning to love my natural texture since the flat iron kind of scares me now xD

jojo
May 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I know they trash my hair, but i still use them occasionally like once every 3 months. I use heat on my fringe as its wavy but I don't see that being a problem as it gets trimmed every other week. I think courser hairs can take the heat better than us fine hairs, which is ironic for me as all my courser hairs are in my fringe!

I think every now and again is OK and keep the iron moving and a quick sweep through the hair.

Sweet_Decadence
May 19th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Pre LHC, I used to use them everyday.

I serverely cut back on my hair straighteners a few weeks before I joined LHC, after reading an article on growing hair.

I'll still use them on my fringe everyday but that hair is kept way to short to get damaged. I also used to still use them on the hair I let frame my face up until very recently and with regrets now because that hair is now pretty fried and it's really put into persective of how had they really are for my hair. I do genuinely believe giving up the straighteners is the reason my hair is finally growing, I could never get it past my collarbone and now it's half way between apl & bsl

Now I only use them very occasionally, sometimes twice in a month but other times I won't use them for months at a time, just depends whats on my plate at that point in time.

wvgemini
May 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Hi. My name is Anna and I still secretly love my flatiron :lol:

I use it maybe once or twice a month but I do like how it looks. Sometimes I'll even flatiron the whole thing and then curl a few chunks like this:
http://www.chopshophairdesign.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/long_hairstyles_01_01.jpg.w180h270.jpg

celebriangel
May 19th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I feel I'm quite lucky in this regard: I, er, look terrible with straight hair. I have a round face, and in order to suit straight hair I have to have layers and blowdrying and stuff. Otherwise I look genuinely dreadful. So giving up the flat iron - which I only used on special occasions anyway - was not hard. :o

I know my hair says F/M, but mine is pretty strong at that. I was blowdrying fairly often and chemical colouring, and didn't even need 1 trim a year. However, I think that even with M/C, if you were flat ironing every week you might struggle to get to classic or knee. However strong our hair is (and I agree with the poster above who said, yeah it is damn strong) by the time it gets to the ends of its cycle, it's been enduring friction and pulling and twisting and all sorts of things every single day for 6 or so years. In that time, even using a brush every day will wear it away somewhat.

It is why I gave up colouring, although it was a bit of a wrench until I discovered my beautiful henna - I know I might have lovely coloured har at, say waist, hip, or even tailbone, but I want my hair to be as thick and strong as it can be at terminal length (I may then cut back to classic for easier maintenance and to have less taper) so that means avoiding the colour.

However, if you love flat ironing your hair, and your hair seems healthy, great!:cheese: You *may* find that, at much longer lengths, the flat iron will be slowly damaging your length. But if you don't want to get to extreme lengths, or would rather have waist length hair and love your flat iron than classic length and a texture you don't love, then I'd say go for it. Hair is for enjoying, however you wish to do so, as long as you know any potential consequences of what you're doing.

ETA: ericthegreat, I am not meaning to undermine your point - healthy hair is quite strong, and many members on here know that babying damaged hair while it grows out is much harder than caring for healthy hair, which pretty much happily does its own thing if you don't interfere with it too much.------------------------------------- I think a lot of the members who have utterly sworn of any kind of heat or chemicals are the ones who have a whole head of damage and just need to be ultra-careful until they have some new, healthy growth.

Anyway, I just wanted to add as your friendly neighbourhood physicist that hair is extremely strong - when it comes to load-bearing. And I mean *extremely*. However, it isn't *hard (obviously) which means it is very susceptible to twisting damage and slow wearing away by friction. This is why some of us are even careful about things like hair wearing against the back of a chair, because sitting and rubbing your hair against a cotton surface every day for years will indeed cause - not direct damage - but will cause the protective cortex to wear away, making it more susceptible to damage, splits, and accidental breakage.

This is much more prominent as an effect in fine hairs; for F people, their protective coating is extremely thin, and it wears away very easily.

Moisture loss - as caused by heat styling - makes it more susceptible to these kinds of damage, and all flat ironing will cause some moisture loss. So, although you are right that hair is indeed very strong, it is also in some senses quite fragile considered over the very long term, and since some of us are spending years growing out our hair, that is how we are thinking - if I flat iron once a week when my hair is at APL, will those same hairs still be healthy once they are at classic, or will I be experiencing splitsville?

There is no way of knowing if we will or not (though again, the Fs tend to know the answer to this question), so many of us (or me at least :)) feel that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hailes
May 19th, 2011, 07:00 AM
You see how perfectly straight and ultra shiny my hair is in my avatar and all my album photos? I'll say it once and I'll say it again: I get my hair blown out AND flat-ironed professionally at the salon whenever I'm having pictures taken. Even though I'm almost a 1a, my natural hair still doesn't have that glaring shine and silky finish that I get from using heat. I absolutely understand where you're coming from Quixotica, to be honest I too like my 'occasionally heat-styled shiny sleek' texture much more than my 'naturally straight but just hangs there' texture.

And I find myself saying this again and again, but speaking as a hairstylist who is very well-versed in good haircare, I have to say that the general LHC consensus about 'absolutely no heat-styling, no ponytails, no coloring, no highlights, no straightening, no perming, no frequent washing, basically no anything' is honestly way overboard. A healthy strand of hair is as strong as a strand of iron of the same thickness. Now multiply those iron-strong strands by 100,000 (the average number of hairs on a human head). Our hair is a lot stronger than we give it credit for! :beerchug:

Now yes, overabuse of using heat or chemicals or a combination of both heat and chemicals used excessively can and does lead to breakage and or damage to the hair.
But, using heat occasionally or chemicals very carefully, and add to that doing a haircare routine that includes moisturizing treatments and oils to help compensate? That will not significantly damage your hair at all. :flower:
I love your reply!! Since being on here its seems like most people says heat appliances on hair is a big NO NO!But it can do wonders when it comes to wanting to look good and I enjoy trying loads of different things with my hair! Like you say as long as I don't over do it. I have hardly died my hair, yes I use a flat iron sometimes, yes I use curling wands ometimes etc (but not everyday itse mostly left natural for work etc lol) and I love the way my hair looks on the finishing results when I try styles! And I DONT feel guilty or bad for it!Lol :)

pink.sara
May 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I love a bit of GHD action. I use them once or twice a week, always after blowdrying and with a coney leave in, currently John Frieda 3 day straight and it makes my hair look like a sheet of silk.
Heaven :D

On a different note I have bleached and chemically dyed hair and grew to hip with really infrequent (once a year maybe) trims, twice weekly straightening and maintained there for 6 years with no visible damage. It can be done!
My individual strands are in no way coarse and its nearly 1a but like Eric I still love that extra shine ;)

BrightEyes7
May 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I use my flat iron about once or twice a month. I love the look and everything, it's just my hair gets split ends when I use it. I always do a micro trim after using a heat tool, maybe I'll let it go one or two times, but I find it keeps my hair nicer with the frequent trims. But I'm not really trying to gain length, well I am but I'm in no hurry!

spidermom
May 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I love the way my hair looks when it's flat-ironed, too; so smooth and shiny. Unfortunately my hair does not tolerate it well. I compromise and have my stylist do it every other year or so.

invisiblebabe
May 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I use a flat iron once or twice a month on average. Generally I keep my hair between just past APL and lower BSL.... so I am not going for extreme lengths.

Ashenputtel
May 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I suck with a flat iron and having my hair pinned straight doesn't suit my round face. I do like the occasionnal blow out.

I still think a lot of people should avoid it.

I've read an article where a doctor was talking about the "pepto bismol effet"; mommy has diarrhea, daddy is constipated and DD has stomac burns and they all take pepto bismol to take care of it. Nobody is wondering why the all have stomac problems!

I think it's the same with hair, you may use some pepto bismol to cover things up (aka babying) but healthy abits is much smarter.

carmenvanessa
May 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I don't think my flat iron is evil. but I don't have the patience to use it often since I have a lot of hair. I use it sparingly, so I think that's part of why my hair doesn't look damaged. I kind of feel like I'm getting over the stick straight look on my hair. I have grown to love my waves/curls more everyday. I get more compliments when I use hot rollers or blow dryer to 'touch up' my hair's natural shape.

Quixotica
May 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Before LHC, I used a curling iron to straighten my hair and it just made the texture crimped and unruly. Since stopping any heat (even just a curling iron), my hair has improved drastically and it is much longer. If you want long hair don't use a flat iron.

I guess everyone has their own experiences! I'm glad that you've found something that works for you :flower:

Quixotica
May 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Thanks Eric!!! Looking at that beautiful hair of yours, I value what you have to say GREATLY :)

Copasetic
May 19th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I use my flat iron semi-regularly. I totally flat iron my hair every few months, and I flat iron sections of it more often than that. I also enjoy my blow dryer. :) It gives me better curls than when I air dry. I guess I am lucky too, because I still have pretty healthy hair despite my heat-styling. Sometimes I feel like the anti-LHCer. :p I like Pantene, and wetting my hair daily, and all those other things everyone else seems to hate.

bondeandeebowl
May 19th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I am like you OP! Over the winter I flat ironed quite a bit. I have found maybe 10-15 splits total (no trims since like August). My hair is fine, but sturdy? I did have to flat iron for work, but now my length is getting to the point that it doesn't look entirely heinous when it's natural. I did notice some of the ends in the back getting a little dry, so I've taken a break and been using olive oil on a regular basis and they are back to normal. Even without the iron my hair has always been silky and soft despite using heat. I plan on only using it a few times a month from here on out.

Oh, and I have a Chi that my dad got me for Christmas. I love it!

Allybean
May 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
The only reason I'm not a flat iron addict anymore is because I don't have one that works anymore! I do miss it, though, and usually, when I go to get my hair done, I get my hair flat ironed before I leave.

I still straighten on a regular basis with a round brush and a blow dryer, which I almost like even more than the flat iron, because it has a lot more body when I do it that way! I will also fully admit to being a curling iron addict, too....

Quixotica
May 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I am like you OP! Over the winter I flat ironed quite a bit. I have found maybe 10-15 splits total (no trims since like August). My hair is fine, but sturdy? I did have to flat iron for work, but now my length is getting to the point that it doesn't look entirely heinous when it's natural. I did notice some of the ends in the back getting a little dry, so I've taken a break and been using olive oil on a regular basis and they are back to normal. Even without the iron my hair has always been silky and soft despite using heat. I plan on only using it a few times a month from here on out.

Oh, and I have a Chi that my dad got me for Christmas. I love it!

Awesome! You're pretty lucky to have fine AND sturdy hair! :nod:

I loved my Chi for several years but it's on it's last leg now :( ....I'm looking into getting the Croc TurboIon....I hear they're really, really, really good and pretty underrated.

Lux88
May 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I LOVE flat ironing my hair.. but I'm currently trying to stay away from heat of all kinds for my hair.. :(

Remyy
May 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I feel nervous while reading this, like, the thought of going back to straightening my hair again feels unsettling!

I used to straighten my hair everyday for about, mmm, 5 years or so. I haven't really noticed a difference in my hair texture since stopping, but my ends are SO visibly damaged and I couldn't imagine running heat over it!

BUT! I'm glad others have been able to incorporate heat into their hair-care! I definitely would if I weren't trying to grow my hair super long.

kwaniesiam
May 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM

She was right to blow your hair out to give it some lift instead of flat ironing it, plus generally blowouts are less damaging as the heat isn't applied directly to the hair and is a lower temperature. Ironing extremely long hair can make it go flat and limp.

Ciridae
May 20th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I flat-iron for special occassions. My hair is not terribly long, but in my opinion, if you like your hair and feel more confident with it silky smooth now and again, then go for it. As long as you take the necessary precautions, know about the potential damage and don't overdo it, there should be no reason not to heat style your hair now and again to make you look and feel good.

Your hair is your own - heeding good hair advice is one thing, (it is why we are all here) but you shouldn't feel persecuted about something as silly as a hair routine. We all have our vices. :)

30isthenewblack
May 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM
However, if you love flat ironing your hair, and your hair seems healthy, great!:cheese: You *may* find that, at much longer lengths, the flat iron will be slowly damaging your length. But if you don't want to get to extreme lengths, or would rather have waist length hair and love your flat iron than classic length and a texture you don't love, then I'd say go for it. Hair is for enjoying, however you wish to do so, as long as you know any potential consequences of what you're doing.

Disclaimer: I've never used a flat iron or straightened my hair but I totally agree with Celebriangel.

NotInPortland
May 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Flat irons are the devil!! Joking of course :p But flat irons totally ruin my hair, it's too fine to take much heat damage. But as others have said if your hair can take the heat then why not enjoy it if that's what you like :)

Nev
July 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I love the way my hair looks when its flat ironed, but i only iron my bangs now. i figure its okay to iron my bangs cause i trim them every couple of weeks.

October
July 6th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I love my flat iron, but I rarely use it anymore. My hair gets all those white dots on it when I do use it. :(

beccababesx
July 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I used to use and love blowdrying, Straighteners (flat iron) and curling iron - I used them every day! I didn't think I had any damage, but by the time I reached past BSL my hair was breaking off faster than it grew, it was so damaged, and I'm still seeing the damage - more than when I was heat styling it, because silicones and heatstyling mask split ends, damage and white dots. As with everything, LHC is not here to give you into trouble! It's a source for advice which you pick and choose from to suit hair, and there is definitely no point in growing long hair if you don't enjoy it! Just a word of warning - the vast, vast majority of people cannot heatstyle daily and make it past BSL without significant damage. Happy growing, and I hope you enjoy your hair whatever you decide to do with it! :)

pittsburgpam
July 6th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I adore my hair when it's flat ironed but once a year is enough. My signature picture was done on Mother's Day and was the first time I had blow dried it since last November. After blow drying, and it's pretty straight then, I used the flat iron on a low setting and quickly ran it through, like as quickly as brushing it. It just puts that final shine and polish on it.

I have one of those $130 Sedu irons and it works wonderfully.

umbrellabones
July 6th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I loved my hair flat ironed. I miss how it looked a lot. But it really destroyed my hair.

QueenJoey
July 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I used to love my flat iron! I actually used it for waves and different curls more than straightening. I did love how my hair looked with that sleek, straight look, even though my mom and sis insisted my hair is already straight and I was wasting my time. However, I don't know what it is, but my flat iron destroyed my hair in a way no other heated tool could. Even one light swipe per strand caused breakage and split ends galore. I've had to shelf the flat iron. :( It's not so bad, though. My sister uses it on her wavy, mutant hair (It doesn't split, break, or dry out. What is that ?!?

I'm never giving up on my curling irons, though.

Silverdragn7385
July 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I love my flat iron...if my hair is worn down in public, it WILL be straightened. I wear it down once, sometimes twice a week. Pre-2007 to 2008, I straightened it every single day. :P Then once I began working where I currently work, I started to wear my hair up in a damp, messy bun during the work week (which I still do). Then I found LHC, and started to take better care of my hair...but I can't give up the heat just yet. :3 However, once I go back short, I'll definitely give low to no heat a try. :)

Nae
July 6th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I found that flat ironing was not for me. Well before LHC I had a flat iron and I tried it out, I could never get it to look like anything. It looked frizzy and still had curls that wouldn't come out. I bought a different more expensive flat iron with the same effect. For me it just wasn't worth the bother. It took forever to do and I hated the result. I still don't get why my hair seems to hate them so much. :confused:

It looks so good on other peoples. Ah well.

AlannaMaria
July 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I love how my hair looks flat ironed, but it takes me forever and it's damaged my hair in the past. For right now, I'm sticking with my natural waves. I feel like if you're super careful, though, it's not "the devil." : )

jujube
July 6th, 2011, 10:19 AM
My hair is way less bendable than other hairtypes, so like Nae it doesn't really look like anything when flat ironed. What I do, however, is sometimes flat-iron (lightly) my ends to tame my awkward flips a bit. My ends are future trim material anyway.

xoerincolleen
July 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I miss my flat iron. I didn't use it for 3 months, and dug it out last week...MY HAIR LOOKED SO GOOD! I didn't make it pin straight, it still had a bit of movement to it, I loved it. I was surprised by how much longer it looked, too! I might start breaking it out again for special occasions. I used it on a medium setting, it took about 10 minutes to smooth everything out, and then I had nice hair for 3 days! I think as long as you limit your usage and use a protectant spray, it's not too bad.

chaoticwaves
July 6th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I found that flat ironing was not for me. Well before LHC I had a flat iron and I tried it out, I could never get it to look like anything. It looked frizzy and still had curls that wouldn't come out. I bought a different more expensive flat iron with the same effect. For me it just wasn't worth the bother. It took forever to do and I hated the result. I still don't get why my hair seems to hate them so much. :confused:

It looks so good on other peoples. Ah well.

I have the same problem! It takes forever to iron, and in an hour or so, the underlayer of hair starts to curl back up anyways.

Emmental
July 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I love my flat iron, but I only use it a few times a year for special events. I never see any damage from using it.

Nae
July 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have the same problem! It takes forever to iron, and in an hour or so, the underlayer of hair starts to curl back up anyways.

I am glad I am not the only one. After a while I figured I was just a hopeless cause.

Flat ironing u r doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

Corvus
July 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I've been flat-ironing for years ~ love the way it makes my hair look. I have straight hair but it gives me that very sleek look which I like. I use a leave-in conditioner and heat protectant and touch wood have not had any damage.

Mina17
July 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I'm in the process of growing out my bangs and they are curlier than the rest of my hair, so they look a little silly unless I flatiron them. I just do a couple of light sweeps on a fairly low temperature to make take a little of the curl out so they match the rest of my hair.

When my hair was in a short bob, flatironing it was almost a necessity. I didn't notice damage from it, such as split ends, but it did make my hair very dry.

chahuahuas
July 6th, 2011, 04:51 PM
The flat iron was the ONLY way I could deal with having bangs. They still looked kinda funky due to some residual curl, but it was better than when I left them to their own devices.

I like flat ironing my hair occasionally now. It's fun to walk around with it and have people oooh and aaah over the difference between my usual hair and my straight hair :D

ericthegreat
July 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I adore my hair when it's flat ironed but once a year is enough. My signature picture was done on Mother's Day and was the first time I had blow dried it since last November. After blow drying, and it's pretty straight then, I used the flat iron on a low setting and quickly ran it through, like as quickly as brushing it. It just puts that final shine and polish on it.

I have one of those $130 Sedu irons and it works wonderfully.

I just have to tell you how beautiful your hair looks so shiny and silky straight in that picture pittsburgpam. :cheer:

Mesmerise
July 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I miss my flat iron :(. Buuuut... I wasn't doing my hair any favours using it, I don't think. I could never totally get rid of frizzies unless I had the heat fairly high, and it was damaging my hair. My hair STILL doesn't look like it used to before I bought my flat iron!

So yeah... I try not to think about how much I loved having silky, smooth, straight hair that looked longer cause it had no waves!! I used to just stare at it in the mirror and play with it LOL.

Anyway, I don't think flat irons are the devil ;) They're just not good for some hair types, and if I want to grow my hair long... I have to say goodbye :( Instead if I want straight hair, I can do a wrap and it gets fairly straight... not quite as silky smooth, but I can deal with that.

pittsburgpam
July 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I just have to tell you how beautiful your hair looks so shiny and silky straight in that picture pittsburgpam. :cheer:

Thank you, ericthegreat. You have some wonderfully beautiful, blindingly shiny, hair.

kidari
July 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
It's not a flat iron but I do love my curling iron. I actually use it daily on my bangs only. This is something I can never give up. My bangs look as healthy as the rest of my hair, but then again they're pretty short and get trimmed at least once a month. Sometimes if I want volume on my crown or to shape the layers near my face I'll use it on the top shorter layers only. The hair around my crown area is more coarse than the rest of my hair and it's wavy and wiry whereas other parts it's finer and straighter. If it's misbehaving, I feel like I'm forced to fix the top layers with a curling iron sometimes. I think the coarse hairs can take the heat.

Vegasrenie
July 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I had two inches of the last of chemical relaxer trimmed in April. I hadn't blow-dried, curled, or flat-ironed my hair for months. Just for the heck of it, I blew it dry and used a curling iron to straighten/curl the ends a bit. My 3c (?) hair went from chin length to almost APL. Who knew?!? I will do it again this coming weekend and the weekend after that before putting the appliances away and letting it air dry without heat or appliances. I keep it pinned/clipped up now that it's long, and am looking forward to BSL *without* straightening in any way. About a year and a half.

FWIW, I don't use shampoo of any kind. When I'm flush, I purchase WEN, when I'm not, I purchase a gallon of CureCare from Sally's, and that is my shampoo/conditioner. I use a leave-in and a conditioning product and air dry only. My hennaed hair is strong, healthy, and I have NO split ends. Which is why once I show off the length to friends, that'll be the end of the heat for a long time - or until the holidays :-).

Emmental
July 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I'm in the process of growing out my bangs and they are curlier than the rest of my hair, so they look a little silly unless I flatiron them. I just do a couple of light sweeps on a fairly low temperature to make take a little of the curl out so they match the rest of my hair.

When my hair was in a short bob, flatironing it was almost a necessity. I didn't notice damage from it, such as split ends, but it did make my hair very dry.

I said I only use it a few times a year, but that's on my whole head. Thinking about it, I sometimes have to help my (long) bangs out a bit because they can be a bit funky in texture. I've never noticed any damage from it.

Do heat protectors work? (I should do a search.)

DarkSky
July 12th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hey Ladies! So glad I'm not alone!!

I confess I LOVE my flat iron! I use one of those wet to dry,ion silver nano ones. I use it on dry hair though and with lots of heat protectant on. I love my hair straight and naturally curly (3a curls) my hair is BSL now but was waist length a while back before my over eager hair dresser chopped it off :( Anyways I wash my hair every 4 days so that's as often as I use heat styling. I don't notice much damage to tell you the truth. My split ends are not numerous and I don't get white dots. Actually it's been almost two months of no hair trim and I don't see any split ends unless I search for them. So basically I have no feelings of regret or guilt when I heat style. I have noticed that my hair texture has changed to less curly but also less frizz but I think that's a combination of hormones from having two kids and also not colouring/bleaching my hair anymore. The last week though I've been going natural curly and trying to embrace it since I get a lot more compliments. I just need to figure out a good routine that is consistent, but I assure you when the cold months come back I'll be back to straightening 80percent of the time.

Products that I love very much and go along with my heat styling:
chi silk infusion and keratin mist, It's a 10 Miracle leave-in, Paul mitchell super skinny (occasionally but leaves a lot of buildup), One n only argan oil, tressume heat protectant. I use a combination of these products but not all at the same time. I'll even use some of them if I decide to go naturally curly.

Thanks for posting this thread! :)

ETA: Some of you posted that your hair has a better texture/feeling when not heat styling. I am very curious about that!! I'll try this minimal heat method for as long as I can to see what happens.

Flossy
July 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hmm. There was a time where I would have been hard pressed to pick between my husband and my GHD, had I ever been made to choose. Hubby won out (thanks to LHC), but my irons still get used on the front portion of my hair, otherwise I look insane. I figure I don't mind them never getting as long as the rest of my hair because I like a few pieces around my face.

They are not the devil, just a friend I don't see as much as I used to.

Avital88
July 18th, 2011, 03:44 AM
i love it ironed.. if i would have had apl hair i could do it on a regular basis too but now my ends are just too old and cranky haha,, they will die if i use it once a month already.

Avital88
July 18th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I feel nervous while reading this, like, the thought of going back to straightening my hair again feels unsettling!

I used to straighten my hair everyday for about, mmm, 5 years or so. I haven't really noticed a difference in my hair texture since stopping, but my ends are SO visibly damaged and I couldn't imagine running heat over it!

BUT! I'm glad others have been able to incorporate heat into their hair-care! I definitely would if I weren't trying to grow my hair super long.

haha me too..
The difference will come, i promise.. even more if you do flat iron your hair after months or a year, then you'll see how less frizz it is.
Good luck with growing and hope your ends will survive or get better eventually.

S&S
September 5th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Yes!:disco:

I have always used a flat iron on the roots - 4-6 inches down and then I would use my curling rod to give it soft curls on the bottom half of my hair and these curls would generally last a week (as in my avatar and profile pic). I Loved my hair like this, it was soft and romantic looking.

Since I have cut it back to BSL and blunt cut, the curls don't look as dreamy. I still run the flat iron through it maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks now and just leave it straight.

I've never noticed severe damage until I started bleaching and doing this method (past 5+years). So now I am curious to see how long I can grow it without bleach while still using heat~!

Dark40
September 5th, 2019, 07:39 PM
I love having my hair flat ironed. My hair can tolerate a lot of heat without it getting damaged. My hair looks a lot better when it's flat ironed.

Simpscone
September 6th, 2019, 03:26 AM
I used to straighten/flat iron my hair every day for years! I wouldn't say my hair was ridiculously damaged from it, but it's hard to judge because I never used to look after it at all (didn't know how). Without a doubt it's healthier not to do it, but I do think a certain hair texture can take it.

I rarely do it now and am trying to embrace my natural wurls, but I'm not completely sworn off. Once every few months seems to not hurt my hair too much anyway. I know that my hair can take a lot. My main issue is that it just won't stay straight! Also, the last time I straightened my hair I got compliments, but most people said it looked odd now that they preferred my natural wurl. Win-win for me as natural is much less effort!

Hedwig
September 6th, 2019, 03:48 AM
I used to blow out my hair and then go over it with a flat iron just to get it smooth and straight back in the day. Then I stopped because my hair was so damaged and I chopped all the damaged ends and lengths off and went long bob. Ever since then I refuse to straighten my wavy-curly hair because I‘ve really learned to embrace my natural texture and love it now. Plus straightening my hair so much was really the worst thing I could have done to it, I think even bleaching it would have left less damage LOL

spidermom
September 6th, 2019, 09:29 AM
I loved how my hair looked when I flat-ironed it, but - alas! - my hair can't take the heat. In fact, it can't take much of anything because I always have lots of split ends no matter how careful I am.

AutobotsAttack
September 6th, 2019, 02:26 PM
I still get excited for my bi-annual heat passes. I don’t use as much as I used to but I still like to slay occasionally :)