PDA

View Full Version : questions from a newbie :)

Sabriel
May 18th, 2011, 01:24 PM
So my hair was around 4 inches past BSL with damaged ends and just wouldn't grow longer. So I chopped off the damage and want to prevent damage in the future so it will actually grow!

Hair type: I'm definitely 1a. I think that most of my hair is medium with some of it being fine, but I'm not 100% sure... Anyone know of any pictures of the different types because a written description is hard to go by... Also, as far as thickness goes - I know I definitely don't have thick hair, and I probaly do have thin hair, but I've seen worse than me. The guide on here says that normal hair is at least two inches across when in a ponytail. Two inches?? That seems like a lot! I read on here somewhere that straight hair compresses way more which can make it look like someone with curly hair has more hair. So any tips on how to measure that properly? It seems like the vast majority on here are ii or iii... I thought thin hair is more common IRL? Is having thin hair going to get in the way of having long hair? Right now I'd be super happy to have hair at or a bit above waist, so hopefully that's possible...

Old hair care routine: wash with head & shoulders (or cvs brand) shampoo and dove conditioner almost every day, brush with a non-hair friendly brush (had no idea that type of brush mattered). That was litterally all I did lol

Now: I switched to Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose shampoo & conditioner, wash at most every other day. I started using extra virgin organic coconut oil (both as a leave in and hot oil treatment). I bought some organic jojoba that I would like to try (would probably only usually use it as a leave in because coconut oil is way cheaper!) but I want to wait untill I fully understand how the coconut oil affects my hair. I bought a hair friendly brush for detangling (though I usually just use my fingers) and a BBB for distributing oil.
ALSO I just got bangs, and because I'll be trimming them constantly to maintain length I don't worry about taking care of them. I use mousse and hairspray and wash with my old shampoo inbetween washing the rest of my hair.

Ok so this is going to sound really dumb.... But I've been reading about people having problems with build up, and I don't really know what it is or how to know if I have it. I read the article about it and just got more confused! Considering my hair type and the products I use/used is it something I have to worry about? How can I tell if I have it? If I do what's the best/cheapest solution?

Any other tips? I want to keep my haircare routine as simple and inexpensive as possible, but I also want healthy long hair so the changes I've made so far have definitely been worth it!

Kathie
May 18th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I can help with measuring your hair thickness. You measure the circumference of your pony tail not the diameter :flower:

JuliaDancer
May 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thin hair shouldn't get in the way of your having long hair. What is your diet like? An unhealthy diet could affect hair growth.

Sabriel
May 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Kathie - ohhhh thanks for clearing that up! It's been a long time since I took geometry :D So I multiply the diameter by 3.14?

Julia - I have a decent diet, though healthy hair is a great reason to eat better!

MissManda
May 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Just wrap a soft measuring tape or piece of string around a snug ponytail. It's much easier and more accurate than measuring diameter. :)

This thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53924) is very helpful for learning about the differences between type 1a and 1b hair.

Zesty
May 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm new to LHC as well, but I can tell you that if you have build up you will probably know... I've gotten it, and on me it feels like there's some sort of wax on my hair and it clumps up, especially on the top of my head. I actually got it pretty bad after using Dove conditioner for a few days, ironically. Anyway, it looks like our hair is similar so I imagine it would feel something like that on you (even if our hair is different enough that Dove works on your hair lol).

But if you have build up the easiest thing to do is use some sort of shampoo to get it out. I hear people taking about clarifying shampoo, but I've never used that (maybe someone less newbish than me can, well... clarify). I imagine that the H&S or whatever you were using previously would be heavy duty enough to get buildup out of your hair, if you have it. It might be too harsh to use daily, but I personally wouldn't feel too bad about using it for "emergency" situations like that, to get gunk out of your hair.

SpinDance
May 18th, 2011, 02:29 PM
If you aren't having any of the problems listed as being caused by build up, you probably don't need to worry about it. However, if things change and you start disliking the way your hair feels or behaves, then look at the article again to see if the symptoms sound familiar. You changed shampoo and I don't know if it will remove any build up. Monitor it, or someone else who uses it may be able to tell if they get build up. If you do usually a simple clarifying wash will take care of it.

You might also look for a very wide toothed comb without seams. Wood, horn or bone, or the Hair Sense ones made from Bakelite, which the call bone but isn't. Most combs you find have been injection molded and have seams, which can strip the scales off your hair. Changing combs has been a major help for me.

Sabriel
May 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
MissManda - thanks, that was easy! Turns out I have normal hair?!?! :D It's thiner and damages easier than everyone I know so I'm pleasantly suprised! (I didn't use any heat or dyes before and it was still split end city) so woohoo!
I will also have to look more into whether I might be 1b, but I for now I'll say 1a because my hair is pretty darn straight.

Zesty & SpinDance - That's what I was hoping to hear as far as build up goes! I'll have to keep an eye on it and read what everyone on LHC says about build up and what it's like. I was thinking of replacing my comb, but I'll probly wait since I almost never use it. My fingers work just fine to detangle, and I'm starting to think that it might actually be the least damaging method for me. Thoughts on that, anyone?

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM
On measuring just put your hair in a pony and measure with a tape measure around the thickest part; not the elastic! You say in real life thin hair seems more common, this is probably because people blow dry and straighten their hair often, hair in its natural state looks different in a nice way.
Clarifying can be done with either a clarifying shampoo or some use baking soda say a teaspoon in a little shampoo. I personally find baking soda very drying and prefer tresemme deep cleanse shampoo better. When you clarify its nice to finish with a moisturising conditioner and a ACV (apple cider vinegar) to maintain the scalps pH. This is done by adding a tablespoon of ACV to a pint or more of warm water.

For me my hair looks dull and lacks shine when it needs clarifying, clarifying makes my hair much more manageable. I tend to do one a month, as I use products with silicones in (we call them cones on here).

Hope this of some help and welcome to LHC.

kaned_ferret
May 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM
hehe I never knew the thickness was the circumference.. that might mean I have to make my measurement on my hair type way thicker lol, must've missed that one!

Of course, I still have to wait for my hair to be longer before a pony is possible, grow damn you, grow! :D

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
it will soon grow, wait until you can get your hair into a decent pony before you measure, else it will measure smaller! good luck with the growing :magic: hair growing vibes coming your way kaned_ferret

Zesty
May 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Sabriel, I think detangling with your fingers is just fine. I do the same thing because it makes it easy to keep from tearing any tangles in wet hair -- gives more control. It also seems like my hair dries faster when I use my fingers as opposed to a comb.

Sabriel
May 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Zesty - That's what I'm thinking - it gives me more control so I think I'm less likely to cause damage. So I'm probably better off saving the money - plus I just bought a hair friendly brush I can use if I need more than my fingers.

Anje
May 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hi and welcome!

Like others have said, buildup is usually diagnosable when hair feels really unmanageable and tangly and weird. It often seems dry but deep treatments don't seem to do any good. If you're not sure, you could always get a clarifying shampoo, suds your hair to the ends twice, then condition and see if your hair feels fantastically better. If it does, you probably had buildup. :)

How do you normally wear your hair, Sabriel? Around BSL is a common place for people who wear their hair loose or ponytailed to have problems with breakage. The ends are a few years old at that point, and they're in a position where they get rubbed by practically every chair back you lean against. So think about switching to buns or braids that get pulled over your shoulder. It makes a remarkable difference and really can help keep tangles down too.

Sabriel
May 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks Anje, that's really helpful advice. Do you recommend any particular clarifying shampoos? I've been thinking of trying Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying shampoo. I want to see if it'd be good for either A) getting coconut oil out of my hair after a treatment (i've found that it takes both AO honeysuckle rose S&C to get it out, i figure a harsher shampoo would be better) or B) removing product build up on my bangs. I'm a newbie so I dunno if that's a good idea or not!

I'm actually working on having better updos to prevent damage. :) I plan on ordering hairsticks asap!

Lilli
May 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
I'm new to LHC as well, but I can tell you that if you have build up you will probably know... I've gotten it, and on me it feels like there's some sort of wax on my hair and it clumps up, especially on the top of my head. I actually got it pretty bad after using Dove conditioner for a few days, ironically. Anyway, it looks like our hair is similar so I imagine it would feel something like that on you (even if our hair is different enough that Dove works on your hair lol).

But if you have build up the easiest thing to do is use some sort of shampoo to get it out. I hear people taking about clarifying shampoo, but I've never used that (maybe someone less newbish than me can, well... clarify). I imagine that the H&S or whatever you were using previously would be heavy duty enough to get buildup out of your hair, if you have it. It might be too harsh to use daily, but I personally wouldn't feel too bad about using it for "emergency" situations like that, to get gunk out of your hair.

Dove did that to me, too! This was years ago, before I came here, and the only way I could get it out is with dishwashing liquid like they do for seabirds covered in petroleum!

Buildup makes my hair sticky, knotty, a darker color, dull and rough. I use a clarifying shampoo like Neutrogena Anti-Residue or Prell. For hard water buildup (we have a well and sometimes the softener conks out), I use the Joico Chelating shampoo.