PDA

View Full Version : okay ... so im back to square one....

annieangel149
May 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
...in discovering the best washing method and products for my hair.
This is all so new to me ... i had permed/damaged hair for quite a few years and now all the damage is gone i dont know what to put on my hair? it probably sounds silly to you guys but im kind of lost... i mean do you treat virgin hair any different. Will putting heavy intensive conditioner on the ends actually prevent damage or does it just help smooth the damage out?

i was washing my hair lastnight and went to grab some conditioner and i suddenly realised that all my condish was for dry/damaged hair :confused: but i dont have that anymore! Is it as simple as just popping down the road and getting some conditioner for Normal hair???

pepperminttea
May 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Judge by what the conditioner does for your hair, not what it says on the bottle. :) I use a cheap 'cone-free conditioner for dry/damaged hair, and it's actually a very light conditioner for me (even in an SMT). Experimentation's the way to go. :D

Leisje
May 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Even when I had virgin hair I liked to use conditioners that were heavy or marketed towards damaged hair. That's because my hair tends to get dry, and those 'damage remedy' conditioners often have the ingredients I need to nourish my hair.
I wouldn't worry so much about what it says on the front of the bottle. If at some point you find you need a lighter conditioner, then use one. If the heavier ones are working for your hair, then continue to use them.

The difference I find between virgin and damaged hair is that the virgin has responds better to treatments.

annieangel149
May 18th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Even when I had virgin hair I liked to use conditioners that were heavy or marketed towards damaged hair. That's because my hair tends to get dry, and those 'damage remedy' conditioners often have the ingredients I need to nourish my hair.
I wouldn't worry so much about what it says on the front of the bottle. If at some point you find you need a lighter conditioner, then use one. If the heavier ones are working for your hair, then continue to use them.

The difference I find between virgin and damaged hair is that the virgin has responds better to treatments.

thanks for that! i s'pose it makes sense that virgin hair would respond better to treatments! silly me!

and thanks peppermintea! i just need to start experimenting again! its just been years since i havent had coloured or permed hair so im kind of lost right now! If i hadn't heard here onLHC that baby shampoo is not that good for your hair i would be buying a bottle right now!

WittyWordsmith
May 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I would suggest first clarifying your hair and then seeing how it reacts all on its own. No silicone, no sulfates, just you. Chances are, you aren't as familiar with your real hair as you'd like to be, and you may be naturally more wavy or curly than you think.

If nixing the harsh stuff or cover-ups doesn't work for you long-term, you can add them back in. But it's smart to know what you're dealing with FIRST before you just assume what your hair wants.

I'm sure your hair has lots to tell you about what it needs, but it would help to actually give yourself the chance to listen. I ignored what my hair was trying to tell me for AAAGES and I was always at odds with it. Now, I'm learning we have very common goals after all. :)

annieangel149
May 19th, 2011, 02:05 AM
thanks witty! hmmm! you got me thinking! i have a clarifying shampoo! naked range detox shampoo and i know there are no cones in it! have been using it for a few months but i have never thought about going 'no sulphate' .... *toddles off to find out if there are any sulphates in her shampoo and to research sulphates in shampoo*

Mesmerise
May 19th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Part of the fun with hair is experimenting to find out what works for your hair! It's great that you've got virgin hair now... all you need to do is care for the hair you've got, treat it gently, and it will grow beautifully!

Try different conditioners... those that are more moisturising, and those that are lighter. If you're doing CO on healthy, virgin hair you probably only need light conditioning. Try conditioners that have as few ingredients and are as natural as possible.

You may still find that you want to clarify occasionally, but provided you use no cones and stuff, you probably don't need to do this very often at all. Just listen to your hair and have fun learning what it likes and what it doesn't!

(Oh I wish hair would actually talk and TELL you what it really wanted though... would make life so much easier)!