PDA

View Full Version : curly or wavy- layers-yes or no?

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 09:47 AM
if you have wavy or curly hair, do you have all one length or keep layers in your hair? I am finding I can really get some waviness to my hair and I thought about letting the layers grow out, but I am now reconsidering this. I am not sure which would look best on my hair.

bunzfan
May 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I have wavy hair and had layers but that just made it stick out more, i'm growing mine out now and its behaving much better:p

spidermom
May 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
No layers for me, it makes the bottom-most layer too thin. If I ever decided to wear it shorter though, like APL to waist length, I'd probably get layers to help bring out all the wonderful wurly texture. But I'm a iii. For a i like you, I think layers would result in a very thin bottom layer even at short lengths. You don't have a lot of thickness to spare.

RocketDog
May 18th, 2011, 01:06 PM
My hair looks better down when it is layered, but the layers have to be cut in to work with my texture. Very aggressive layering just makes it look thin, but a few artfully cut in layers make it look awesome. Having a stylist that understands how your hair falls makes a huge difference.

I am actually having layers cut back in next week, I have been growing them out and tried a blunt hemline for a while, but it just does not look good with my particular head of hair. Oddly enough, a blunt hemline seems to make my updos look worse, too, which is odd...

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM
No layers for me, it makes the bottom-most layer too thin. If I ever decided to wear it shorter though, like APL to waist length, I'd probably get layers to help bring out all the wonderful wurly texture. But I'm a iii. For a i like you, I think layers would result in a very thin bottom layer even at short lengths. You don't have a lot of thickness to spare.You 've got that right SM!!! I definately do not have thickness to spare!!!

Firefly
May 18th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I don't have layers. A good friend of mine who is about a 2c does, and some are quite short. Her hair always looks fantastic. But, I also think her texture is coarse and thick, unlike mine. I have toyed with the idea though!

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I have wavy hair and layers are a big no, no for me it makes my hair look too wispy, plus my waves are more uniform when my hair is one length.

lapushka
May 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I had layers and am growing mine out as well. Layers can be fun, but I like them much better on hair that's shorter, say APL or BSL or so.

mneh
May 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
if you have wavy or curly hair, do you have all one length or keep layers in your hair? I am finding I can really get some waviness to my hair and I thought about letting the layers grow out, but I am now reconsidering this. I am not sure which would look best on my hair.

I have thick, coarse hair so layers are a must for me or I look like Captain Caveman :) At the moment I'm growing my layers so that I can eventually get rid of the old razor-cut ends and then I plan to have blended layers from collarbone downwards. Layers give my hair some movement, if it's all the one length, my hair is like an impenetrable shield.

You could always hedge your bets and try fairly long, well-blended layers - that way, if you don't like them it won't be too hard go grow them out.

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I currently have layers and am debating if I want to go all one length or keep my layers

mneh
May 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I currently have layers and am debating if I want to go all one length or keep my layers

I know, I read your first post, and I was attempting to answer your question.

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
gotcha, thank you, was not sure if you read the first post through or not :smile:

mneh
May 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
No worries :)

Regan
May 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
i have wavy, almost hip length hair and i like long layers in mine. doesn't take too much away from the thickness, imo

Bucatini
May 18th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Layers = yes! My hairtype is really similar to yours and the only thing I miss about all-one-length is the feeling of the front brushing my forearms. Sigh.

Without them my hair tended towards a smaller/flatter overall shape with a lot of areas that would get kind of like ropes. With the layers now, my waves don't get caught in themselves as much so it looks lighter and like it has more body. Overall my hair looks more "done" (to me, personal opinion only) with the layers but it actually requires NOTHING in terms of styling, just a little product for my frizz.

Really the worst thing that could happen is you would let them grow out until reaching a point where it's so close that you sacrifice some length to bring the bottom up to meet your longest layer. Then you'll either like it or you won't!

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM

I think your hair with layers looks fine now, but I'm concerned that as your thickness is only a i, you may get too much taper by the time you reach waist, and that would look a LOT worse if you have layers than if you don't. It may be that your hair won't taper too badly, but I think when you're a i, or at the lower end of ii, you generally don't have as much hair to play with, and any taper is likely to be more obvious. Even spidermom feels her hair is too thin at the ends with layers at her length, and she's got a LOT of hair that makes for one big fat braid!

I also found that in the past long layers seemed to work well in my hair, but at the moment I couldn't do it due to taper (although last time I went to the hairdresser she asked me about five times if I wanted layers cut in!!), as my ends are thin enough at my length as it is, without adding to them! However, if I get to my goal length, and manage to get my ends to thicken up, I'd consider putting in a FEW layers again, just for a bit of extra body and movement.

squiggyflop
May 18th, 2011, 04:23 PM
i try for all one length. it hides how thin my hair is

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think you may be right Mesmerise, I originally wanted to grow out my layers, but then with my hair being wavy, I don't know if it's best kept one length or kept with layers. Right now it's ok with layers, but yes, as it gets longer it may taper too much and a no layer cut may be in order. I plan on doing small trims just at the bottom to get the hemline to catch up with my longest layer, that's really only about a year's worth of growth, so 6 inches apart between the shortest layer and the hemline.

elbow chic
May 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I love layers in my hair and if I wore it down with any regularity, I would seriously consider getting them cut back in.

They bring out my wave and curls, add movement and polish and reduce the sensation that I'm wearing a thick wool scarf in the summer.

I do not like them for updos or braids, and since I am much more interested in wearing my hair up right now, I'm growing all one length. Also, the $$$ and time spent at the salon is a pretty big turnoff for me.

kitschy
May 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
My hair looks seriously weird unless it has layers.

UltraBella
May 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I am a layer fanatic but my hair is quite different that yours. If my hair was thinner I do not think it would be as flattering and I would worry about thin ends.

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I love your hair UltraBella- it's my dream hair!!!

meowmeow
May 18th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I have layers and I like them, especially around my face since those ones are quite a bit shorter. This makes it harder to do certain buns, but I prefer my hair down anyway. :)

dulce
May 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I had layers from shoulder to arm pit level length.Loved it.Now that it is close to waist my ii thick hair looks too thin at ends so am growing to all one length,no more layers for me.If I put it up in tight buns those shorter layers stick out.It all depends on your thickness,girls with super thick hair could have layers to their waist and still look good.

newbeginning
May 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I used to always have my hair cut blunt. I started adding layers a few years ago. I think the layers give more body and bring out the waves in my hair. I like the way it looks more like a style (on me) when it has layers too.

jaine
May 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM
My hair is average thickness but it has a ton of volume from my wave/curl pattern. Right now I need layers, because I want it to look oval-shaped instead of triangular.

lorelai2012
May 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM
My friends could never figure out why my hair dried so straight so naturally. Then I got layers, and suddenly it was like my hair was the enemy! It will let the curls come out but it might be more than you'd like!