PDA

View Full Version : Dying hair with food colouring?

LadyCelestina
May 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
After seeing the thread about rainbow hair- Iīve finally decided to temporarily dye my hair a dark green colour.
Iīve read about dying hair with food colouring,hovewer,it requires mixing it with shampoo ...Which Iīm rather hesistant to do,because my curls arenīt really in the best condition right now .

My question is-can I mix the colouring with conditioner instead of shampoo? Has anyone tryed it ? :confused:

BabyRay33
May 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
manic panic has some great greens and they are easy to use and dont damage hair...you could try those and forgo the experiment of food color...

ravenreed
May 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I tried some koolaid in my hair. Same idea. It didn't last more than a day or two.

Anje
May 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I tried dyeing my brother's hair blue with Koolaid once. It didn't work very well, at least not on his hair. (Stained his forehead quite impressively, though.)

Go with the Manic Panic or a similar vegetable dye. Good for your hair's condition, and it should stick decently well. (Special Effects is another good dye, but the stain tends to last longer.)

wvgemini
May 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I would go with the Manic Panic as well. I used cherry kool aid once in high school. It wasn't quite so temporary :o Took about three-four months to wash out.

Freki
May 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
How temporary do you want the color? Make shift dyes like food coloring and koolaid tend not to last more than one washing (although I've seen the occasional exception).

Manic Panic also tends not to last very long. It fades noticeably after each washing on me.

Special Effects and RAW have both lasted quite a long time for me, depending on the color.

Special Effects has a very pretty dark green, Iguana Green, that lasted longer for me than most greens:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/LupineLullaby/greenbangs.jpg

Jeni
May 18th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I have never heard of mixing food coloring with shampoo (or conditioner)...when I used it I just squirted it on my hair. I had light blond hair at the time and man, it worked really well....until any sort of liquid touched it and then it ran. I'm still haunted by the horror of being stuck outside during a freak storm and slowly watching has my shirt and pants turned blue, red,green, and purple (I was feeling colorful that day).

Not sure if mixing it with shampoo would change this so fair warning!

kwaniesiam
May 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Unless your starting color is blonde koolaid won't show up very well and it doesn't stick more than a wash or two. Go with the MP or Special Effects.

QMacrocarpa
May 18th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I knew someone who dyed her long tail (with a pixie) green with food-coloring. It wasn't such a beautiful green as Freki's and it never washed out completely, I think she eventually snipped the tail off to get rid of the color.

Koolaid is variable. I've permanently dyed a wool scarf, a silk t-shirt and a cotton/synthetic top with grape drink mix. The scarf I first tried to color with a mixture of red and blue packets, and that did not work nearly as well as grape. I think it helps to use hot water, maybe hotter than you'd want to use on you though! And it might not be as temporary as you expect, so proceed with caution.

Malibu Barbie
May 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I have never heard of mixing food coloring with shampoo (or conditioner)...when I used it I just squirted it on my hair. I had light blond hair at the time and man, it worked really well....until any sort of liquid touched it and then it ran. I'm still haunted by the horror of being stuck outside during a freak storm and slowly watching has my shirt and pants turned blue, red,green, and purple (I was feeling colorful that day).

Not sure if mixing it with shampoo would change this so fair warning!

Same with me!! One time my pink hair was caught in the rain and I became pink. I have never put it in shampoo or conditioner. I used food coloring a lot in the early years. They have a lot of things out there now, that work better and don't drip. When I'd sweat a lot on the dance floor the colors would run.

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Someone mixed food colouring with coconut oil
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67669
Conditioner with food colour
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33550