PDA

View Full Version : Red hair on yahoo

2peasinapod
May 18th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Did anyone see this article (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/the-right-red-hair-for-you-how-to-get-hollywood-s-hottest-trend-2484849/) on yahoo yet (The right red hair for you: how to get Hollywood’s hottest trend)?

Despite the title, it doesn't really tell you much. I was disappointed with all the product recommendations, but they did recommend sulfate free shampoos.

I just couldn't help thinking "that can be solved with henna" for all the problems they talked about (fading, dye not taking, harsh chemicals, etc). Anyway, it made me think of this site. I've learned so much from here. :)

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Great article, though they did say red is the hardest colour to get out. i don't buy that red (chemical red) fades quicker than any other box colour. For the totally committed red heads id say use henna and for the faddy red heads use the chemical sort. Nothing beats henna though for its uniqueness in colour and naturalness.

eta- off topic ha say uniqueness in new york fast, its really hard! and nothing to do with your thread!

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Yup, henna, especially when built up a little stays red looooong past any regular chemical dyes! I used to get so annoyed that my pretty reds would fade so fast when I used box dye!

With henna that's no longer a problem (I feel like a TV ad saying that lol).

I have had henna fade in the past (when I used Lush especially) but now it seems pretty well, permanent haha.

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Yup, henna, especially when built up a little stays red looooong past any regular chemical dyes! I used to get so annoyed that my pretty reds would fade so fast when I used box dye!

With henna that's no longer a problem (I feel like a TV ad saying that lol).

I have had henna fade in the past (when I used Lush especially) but now it seems pretty well, permanent haha.

because your worth it! agree totally with your comments!

Red_Rose
May 18th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I found that article a bit funny because they claim that red hair is the new trend in Hollywood but from the looks of it, they only mean the bottled reds, not the real deal. If a certain hair color is the new "in thing" then why not include the natural since that's actually the real thing? Very, very odd if you ask me.:confused:

Great article, though they did say red is the hardest colour to get out. i don't buy that red (chemical red) fades quicker than any other box colour.

It really all depends on the person. My sister also has natural red hair that she dyes brown and she's seen many women that go to the same salon that she does complain that their hair will not hold a red dye for long so it really depends on the person. :)

squiggyflop
May 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM
lol it was weird reading that..
lol.. as a person who is sort of a natural redhead depending on who you talk to (my natural color is auburn that fades even redder in the sun) i always wonder how people who dont have red head coloring find the right color red to dye their hair.. i mean, my freckles, pale skin and reddish eyebrows go with just about every color of red.. i even look good with fire engine red hair..

oh and as for box reds fading.. im convinced that they fade as fast as most medium/light browns.. its just that they turn a grosser color when they fade than other colors.. so people notice them fading because their hair turns that awful yuck color..

eta: this is the only evidence of my natural hair color.. this was before puberty made my hair wavy
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/IM000030crop-1.jpg
this is why i say, depending on who you talk to..

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I wish people would stop describing (beautiful) auburn/ titian/ ginger hair as red, it's very confusing for those of us who are unnaturally red. :p The only one who has red hair is Rhianna!

ETA: "Choose a color a real redhead would have," says [stylist Tracey] Cunningham. "You can’t pick out a weird purple blue red. That’s not going to look natural because it's not real." She suggests bringing in a photo of a natural redhead you love to the salon .... It's a bold move, but you could go the deliberately fake route like Sharon Osbourne or Rihanna, who have both committed to a bold Crayola red. "The rock world and the movie star world are different," says Cunningham. "Rihanna is a pop star and Sharon Osbourne is an icon. I don’t really think that some mother picking up her kids at the soccer line is going to look hot with this look. [Laughs] It sounds mean, but truthfully you have to have a really wild personality to pull it off." Point taken."

Like most bottle blondes go for a natural dishwater/ mouse colour then? Or forty-something movie stars join the Renegrays? :doh: I have seen plenty of mothers rocking bright or burgundy red, not all have zany personalities.

Arya
May 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I wish people would stop describing (beautiful) auburn/ titian/ ginger hair as red, it's very confusing for those of us who are unnaturally red. :p The only one who has red hair is Rhianna!
Hey, it's you fake reds that should pick up a new title, we've been called reds for thousands of years! Maybe y'all can be scarletheads or rubyheads or something! ;p

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hey, it's you fake reds that should pick up a new title, we've been called reds for thousands of years! Maybe y'all can be scarletheads or rubyheads or something! ;p

Scarletheads makes me think of "wild" personalities, maybe that Tracey Cunningham has a point, maybe I should embrace my inner slut .... :p I'm just jealous, I was gutted when auburn didn't suit me.

prosperina
May 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
The article was sort of interesting, but the comments more so--at least for their unbridled nastiness. So what if people dye their hair an supposedly unnatural color of red??

And sorry to break it to you folks on yahoo, but I am not a natural red head (maybe a natural strawberry, I'm not sure) and my hair looks natural. Maybe it's my naturally pale warm-toned skin and green eyes I don't know. I've had people argue with me when I tell them I'm not a 100 percent natural redhead. :confused: Anyhow, I've encountered this occasionally from natural red heads, some of them seem to not like/resent the "imposters" Seriously, get over yourself. The natural is a look, an aesthetic choice no better or worse than an other choice.

Arya
May 18th, 2011, 02:50 PM
The article was sort of interesting, but the comments more so--at least for their unbridled nastiness. So what if people dye their hair an supposedly unnatural color of red??

And sorry to break it to you folks on yahoo, but I am not a natural red head (maybe a natural strawberry, I'm not sure) and my hair looks natural. Maybe it's my naturally pale warm-toned skin and green eyes I don't know. I've had people argue with me when I tell them I'm not a 100 percent natural redhead. :confused: Anyhow, I've encountered this occasionally from natural red heads, some of them seem to not like/resent the "imposters" Seriously, get over yourself. The natural is a look, an aesthetic choice no better or worse than an other choice.

That may be, but red hair is also an ethnic marker, so it's not entirely a fashion choice, like an afro isn't simply a hairdo. I do get annoyed when people dye their hair red and then call themselves fiery or wild, or associate it with sexiness or sluttiness. For me, it's what naturally grows out of my head, I don't like it being associated with a temperament or attitude. That's all that racism is really, associating phenotypes with behaviours or intrinsic traits. For someone who dyes their hair that way, it's a choice on their part. For someone who grew up as a redhead, it holds a different meaning.