PDA

View Full Version : Clear Henna / Cassia Obatova

Barniie
May 18th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hello all!
So I have been urged recently to try out henna. I need some shine because my hair is getting a bit dry and frizzy and dull -
BUT!
- I don't want to colour my hair!
Therefore, I remembered that one day, whilst in a hippie store, I saw a packet of colourless henna! Upon further research, I found that colourless henna is also called cassia obatova - is this true? Also, what are your favourite brands / suppliers because I will order online.

Thanks! :cheese:

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 04:26 AM
There are many threads on cassia and henna glosses on the 'Rercipes, Henna & Herbal Haircare' board. HTH. :)

Katze
May 18th, 2011, 04:30 AM
If you are in the UK or Europe I can highly recommend Renaissance Henna. When I was considering Cassia (it's not for me) she sent me free samples and was very kind in giving advice, and is totally committed to natural hair care.

Any reputable natural foods store brand should be OK, too, if you check the label.

Barniie
May 18th, 2011, 04:35 AM
:( too bad i'm in Aus. any knows retailers here? or can i order renaissance henna over ebay from the uk?

Lisa R
May 18th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Hello! I'm in Australia and I recently ordered cassia obovata from a really good online company based in Queensland called Cosmica. I have found the cassia great for shine. Cosmica also sells a FANTASTIC herbal conditioner and shampoo. The shampoo has a little henna powder in it and I believe it has made my fine hair shinier and it feels thicker. It hasn't changed my colour at all. Has taken about a month of using it to feel the change in volume. The conditioner is the BEST! My hair loves it. Because the shampoo and conditioner are homemade it is more expensive than normal shamp/condish. The conditioner is a fantastic leave-in condish as well. I'm hooked as you can tell!! I forgot to mention they sell all different types of henna as well. I don't henna my hair so I can't say if it's good or not but I think Cosmica is a good company.

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I am not sure is she delivers internationally, but I buy mine from Nightshade- Nightblooming's Etsy store and also Henna Sooq. I use cassia all the time now, I was very nervous at first, I have done it 5 times now and I love every time I do, my hair feels strong!

Phexlyn
May 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM
If your hair is dry, you should try a moisturizing treatment (like SMT) first and see if it helps. Cassia can dry your hair out even more, which is definitely not what you want.

Please have a look at the cassia thread, and maybe also at the henna article in the articles section which covers cassia as well.

littlenvy
May 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM
If your hair is dry, you should try a moisturizing treatment (like SMT) first and see if it helps. Cassia can dry your hair out even more, which is definitely not what you want.

Please have a look at the cassia thread, and maybe also at the henna article in the articles section which covers cassia as well.
THIS ^
While cassia will give healthy hair gloss, it does have a huge tendency to make dry hair even dryer.

LoveMyLongHair
May 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Can this be done on color treated hair with no negative color results?

I color mine blonde.

I would love to try but am scared of what it might do to the color.

Thanks in advance!!

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM

I color mine blonde.

Thanks in advance!!absolutely- my hair is bottle colored, except the new growth at roots, which is about an inch right now and I use cassia all the time. It will leave some golden tones in your hair, but will not change the color.

littlenvy
May 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM

I color mine blonde.

Thanks in advance!!
It depends how light your blonde is.
Cassia will give you hair a golden tone. For some people it doesn't change their colour at all and some people totally lost their ash tones or highlights.
The only good thing is, Cassia washes out in 1 to 3 months.

Nightshade
May 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM
THIS ^
While cassia will give healthy hair gloss, it does have a huge tendency to make dry hair even dryer.

If you're having trouble with dry hair from cassia, add a TB or so of honey to the mix. Not only will it rinse out easier, but it'll help keep moisture in your hair :)

bella77
May 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I have never had it make my hair drier, in fact it seems to actually moisturize my hair. I do make my mud with coconut oil, honey and then globs of conditioner so it spreads better and makes for easier rinsing. I then co wash twice until the water is clear and then deep condition for an hour or so.

Jeni
May 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
If you're having trouble with dry hair from cassia, add a TB or so of honey to the mix. Not only will it rinse out easier, but it'll help keep moisture in your hair :)

Oil, I use EVOO, and fenugreek has also helped with minimizing dryness and helping in rinsing. At least for me.

Bald2WL
September 23rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
You guys are awesome! I'm trying to grow out my hair from bald to atleast waist length. But, I also love being a "blonde" and it's really hard to keep blonde hair healthy, full, and shiny. But, it is not impossible!

I want to see how this works out for me, I'll end up doing it before the year ends.

Dovetail
September 23rd, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm thinking I might try this to keep my hair all lovely and shiny during the winter (when I hide inside and wear scratchy hats) I love to see how it turns out for people~

xoxophelia
September 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
THIS ^

For me, I didn't get this as all as long as I don't add lemon or any sort of acid. I get really positive benefits from cassia but haven't used it in a good long while ^_^'