PDA

View Full Version : Starting fresh

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Have you ever been so fed up with the state of your hair that you've chopped it to your shortest layer, got a bob, shaved it etc.? What's the most amount you've taken off to start a fresh growing process?

I'm at that point right now where my hair is just so horrible! I trimmed a good amount off this morning (which brings it above BSL now) but it hasn't at all made a difference. The reason my hair is awful is because last year I had blonde ombre hair, dyed over that with a light brown and then went over that with dark brown. It's in a terrible condition, the splits aren't too bad but the main parts that were lightened are dry, wiry and stick out in all directions, it looks TERRIBLE. :( I've tried oil soaks and i've given up cones for a while now (my hair isn't cone loving) but I feel like my hair is just not salvageable no matter how hard I try. It feels good for a while but then just turns horrible again even with oils or products. I have the urge to chop it to the length of first layer and start a fresh growing process and do it properly this time. My shortest layer is just above my collar bone so it's not too terrible I suppose.

Any advice? Should I go for it or should I suck it up? Any suggestions for saving my hair?

Talk about starting fresh/your journey! :p

terpentyna
May 18th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I got bad lice once and the products damaged my hair to the point where I took my apl hair to a pixie. This was years ago, but felt pretty drastic.

Joliebaby
May 18th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I've done it more than once, LOL! It just goes to show that it took me a while to learn my lesson. I've even shaved it all off (pic in my album) though wanting a fresh start was only a part of it. Other reasons were spiritual, and just wanting to do it once, and it was actually beautiful and I got lots of compliments on it.

I actually considered starting fresh again myself, but my natural roots are only 4-5" and I don't want another pixie cut. Bob I could do and it's also so easy to grow out.

Having healthy virgin hair is really lovely and you can just let it be and grow. Damaged hair is annoying and takes a lot of pampering -and obsessing! When my ends feel crappy I'm constantly touching them and evaluating their condition. Silky ends on the other hand, are a joy to touch!

I had a trim yesterday which greatly increased my happiness with my hair because I got rid of splits and the worst dryness. The hair is still colored and processed mostly and I may do a bigger chop when my virgin roots get longer, or I may keep trimming away slowly, I don't know at this point. My hair is nearly to my waist, it's longer than ever since childhood, so I am not eager to give it up :D

But I sure understand the allure of a fresh start with perfect, healthy, virgin hair!!!!!

KittyLost
May 18th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Have you tried a protein treatment? That's what the previously bleach parts could need. Joico do a great range of products for damaged hair that I find work quite well, their Reconstructor might be worth a look for you.

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Have you tried a protein treatment? That's what the previously bleach parts could need. Joico do a great range of products for damaged hair that I find work quite well, their Reconstructor might be worth a look for you.

I haven't!
When I clarified my hair it seemed like it just needed a crap ton of moisture. Although I didn't directly bleach my hair (it was done with a highlighting kit....yeah, I know) i'm willing to give it a try! I would much rather find out a way to save my hair before cutting it off. Thank you!

annieangel149
May 18th, 2011, 02:28 AM
my friend used joico on her hair and she really liked it! i havent seen her in a while and i dont know if she's still using the same stuff but she had a pic up on FB and her hair looks great! it doesnt look like she had it cut and it looks shinier. she also loves protein treatments on her hair. i remember her telling me that once! *hugs* to you! you'll get there hon <3

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 02:30 AM
my friend used joico on her hair and she really liked it! i havent seen her in a while and i dont know if she's still using the same stuff but she had a pic up on FB and her hair looks great! it doesnt look like she had it cut and it looks shinier. she also loves protein treatments on her hair. i remember her telling me that once! *hugs* to you! you'll get there hon <3

Sounds like it could be worth a shot. Thank you! <3

Tefnut
May 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I'm in that boat too atm.keep thinking screw it! chop it al off start again....bleached the hell out of it last year.

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Protein treatments are brilliant on damaged hair, just remember to do a deep conditioning treatment after. Rule of thumb whatever you take out of your hair be it through bleach, dyes, harsh treatment you must put it back into your hair. Protein is like patching up a pair of holey jeans; it fills in the holes but by doing this it robs your hair of moisture; id highly recommend putting some conditioner mixed with honey on your hair for a few hours after a protein treatment. This is what I do and always get brilliant results; its like adopting a new head of hair!

If you look in the article section theres one on damaged hair which may be of help!

MichieDoll
May 18th, 2011, 06:51 AM
It sounds like you want to keep your hair, so I'd also recommend a protein mask. I like to use Pureology's version for coloured hair, even though I've never coloured my hair. It's light and makes my hair feel moisturized throughout. The only thing I would caution with protein products is that they can't be used daily. I restrict myself to once a month. If you over-protein your hair, it will become brittle.

Best of luck!

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Protein treatments are brilliant on damaged hair, just remember to do a deep conditioning treatment after. Rule of thumb whatever you take out of your hair be it through bleach, dyes, harsh treatment you must put it back into your hair. Protein is like patching up a pair of holey jeans; it fills in the holes but by doing this it robs your hair of moisture; id highly recommend putting some conditioner mixed with honey on your hair for a few hours after a protein treatment. This is what I do and always get brilliant results; its like adopting a new head of hair!

If you look in the article section theres one on damaged hair which may be of help!

Thank you! I'm definitely going to give it a try, it sounds like it just might do the trick! :)

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 07:32 AM
It sounds like you want to keep your hair, so I'd also recommend a protein mask. I like to use Pureology's version for coloured hair, even though I've never coloured my hair. It's light and makes my hair feel moisturized throughout. The only thing I would caution with protein products is that they can't be used daily. I restrict myself to once a month. If you over-protein your hair, it will become brittle.

Best of luck!

I really do want to keep my hair, it's just such a bummer when it's not the way you'd like it to be. Thank you for the tips! :)

ladyfey
May 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I had been coloring my hair for years, it was knee length and I cut it to a bob to grow out my natural color, no regrets, I thought it was worth it to have healthy and un-fried hair. It is back to knee length now and better than before!

spidermom
May 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I like change, so I get rid of damage in one go (usually). Last December I finally reached my goal of classic, but I hadn't been trimming, so my ends were pretty dried out. Three weeks in the Caribben finished them off, so when I got home I had about 7 inches cut off. Ahhhhhhhhhh; much better. Now back to classic length, this time with trimming.

growingpains
May 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Ya try protein followed by moisture. You also may have buildup? Have you clarified recently?

If neither of those work, well, there's always updos!!!!

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Ya try protein followed by moisture. You also may have buildup? Have you clarified recently?

If neither of those work, well, there's always updos!!!!

Will do! Yeah, I clarified two days ago. I'll figure it out i'm sure!

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I've coloured for twenty years and leave-in instead of wash-out conditioner makes a huge difference to mine: presently using the ordinary Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner. Some people love oil soaks but others find they just get lank or greasy hair, I cannot get on with oil alone. Have you tried the coconut oil shampoo method? That is supposed to penetrate and especially help coloured hair. If you can do a couple of semi-successful treatments (protein, SMT, whatever) then you might better see what hair is salvageable and what is not.

HintOfMint
May 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I did that almost 3 years ago. I chopped from past BSL to collarbone. I wasn't happy to do it, but it was worth it to grow out healthy hair. The only reason it took me so long to grow it out again is that I had a bunch of mini setbacks and well, I just wasn't super serious about growing my hair past BSL.

oktobergoud
May 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I did that 6 weeks ago! And many times before... It was already a pixie, but it was grown out a lot. However, I couldn't stand the damage anymore so I just cut it all short again. Now I'm starting fresh and it feels so much better :D

I have done it several times before.. like that time when I bleached my black hair to platinum.. took about 5 bleaches.. in 2 months? It was APL and I cut it first into a short bob (I did that myself!) and after that I went for an asymmetrical pixie with half of it almost shaved!