PDA

View Full Version : Donating hair, good places?

gthlvrmx
May 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
My friend wants to donate hair, but as i soon as she said Locks of Love, my red flag went up and i was like, hold on, i have a feeling i need to ask the people on LHC. :p
What are some good organizations she could donate to? I haven't heard good things about LOL. Thank you :D
Sorry if this a repeated thread, i cannot for some reason get the page when i press the search button :confused:

My friend has hip-length curly hair and wants to cut to bob and donate that.

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Locks of Love gets a bad reputation for being a "scam" but the truth is that they DO sell wigs to kids with alopecia on a sliding scale based on income. It is not a "corrupt" organization to donate to but people should do so knowing that the wigs are sold and most do not go to kids with cancer. Personally, I disagree with some of their practices i.e. making kids get reccomendations on why they deserve a wig (EVERYONE deserves hair!) but I digress. Some other foundations to check out are Wigs for Kids and Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program. Both are more centered around providing wigs to cancer patients.

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 05:00 AM
as Christine said Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program has a better reputation than LOL. Or she could always sell it herself and give the money to a charity of her choice!

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys! :D I will talk this over with her.

kwaniesiam
May 18th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Wigs for Kids or Pantene are both reputable programs that donate the wigs to cancer patients, unlike LoL who go to children with alopecia and often sell the pieces at a discounted rate rather than giving them away. Or as jojo said sell the hair and donate the money to a charity of her choice.

Honestly though, human hair wigs are a lot of work. I don't understand donating such a fussy hair piece to cancer patients. The time and energy put in to styling is more than most people do on their own hair. Having lost my hair due to cancer and other illnesses and worn both a human hair and synthetic wig in the process, I vastly prefer the synthetic. It's easier to take care of and doesn't require as much styling plus looks every bit as realistic. The human wig requires more frequent washing, heat styling, and setting to look presentable. There is no way a child could care for a human hair wig on their own. It's great that your friend wants to donate her hair though, as long as she isn't feeling pressured in to doing so :)

gthlvrmx
May 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Wigs for Kids or Pantene are both reputable programs that donate the wigs to cancer patients, unlike LoL who go to children with alopecia and often sell the pieces at a discounted rate rather than giving them away. Or as jojo said sell the hair and donate the money to a charity of her choice.

Honestly though, human hair wigs are a lot of work. I don't understand donating such a fussy hair piece to cancer patients. The time and energy put in to styling is more than most people do on their own hair. Having lost my hair due to cancer and other illnesses and worn both a human hair and synthetic wig in the process, I vastly prefer the synthetic. It's easier to take care of and doesn't require as much styling plus looks every bit as realistic. The human wig requires more frequent washing, heat styling, and setting to look presentable. There is no way a child could care for a human hair wig on their own. It's great that your friend wants to donate her hair though, as long as she isn't feeling pressured in to doing so :)
Wow i didn't realize all that! Makes a lot of sense, thank you!:)