PDA

View Full Version : Why are cones bad???

Blackfire
May 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I just found out that my hair LOOOOVVVEEEES cones after doing a Beyond the Zone Glam Street Glaze.......

Should I not use them? It really made my hair look and feel great!

manderly
May 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
They aren't. They just don't work for some people, and others feel they just hide damage. Other people love cones and wouldn't part with them.

Nothing is "bad", it's just about what your hair likes.

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 07:47 PM
They do hide damage which is both a positive and a negative depending on how you look at it. They also cause buildup and may clog hair follicles but as long as you clairify once in a while that are perfectly fine to use on a regular basis.

Blackfire
May 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM
so i guess they dont do any damage! thats good because I have used them before and after i did my bf said my hair felt like a horses.....which was meant to be a compliment, lol

Roseate
May 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Also, some people (like me!) avoid cones more because of the detergents needed to remove them than because of the cones themselves. I have a sensitive scalp, and if I use cones they eventually build up on my hair and require a stronger shampoo than my scalp can take.

Blackfire
May 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I use diluted Mane and Tail....I does a good job of getting out build up!

squiggyflop
May 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
its good for some people, bad for others..

my hair needs cones.. without them i wouldnt grow longer than apl

you just need to remember to clarify

WittyWordsmith
May 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I stopped using them because I realized they were weighing my hair down, a lot. This is partly because I didn't know about clarifying, but also because I have thick hair, which required a lot of cones, which led to much more weight than I was wanting. As soon as I stopped using them, my hair had bounce and shape it had never seen before.

Also, I like knowing what my hair is really like and not covering it up. But cones have their purpose, and a lot of people with long hair use them to coat the ends and protect them, which makes a ton of sense.

It's just a matter of your personal preference and how you handle and clarify your hair over time.

Jeni
May 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Like others have said they arent, at least not for everyone.

My hair likes them. I CWC with a coney conditioner and then add a very coney leave in on the ends. I shampoo with a low sulfate shampoo and have never found the need to use anything...stronger. YMMV I suppose.

Do whatever makes your hair happy. If its wash daily with super sulfate shampoo and very little conditioner go for it, if its shampoo once a week and pile on the cones, rock on. Whatever works for you.

monsterna
May 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I slather my hair with cones. But I also usually clarify once a week or so. My hair would be unmanageable without them.

PamelaViktoria
May 17th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I find cones after a day lose shine on my hair. And if I add oil, it looks gross. Now I don't use conditioner, just oil. And it's shiny all week between washes.

Blackfire
May 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
My ruitine that worked AMAZINGLY was Mane and Tail shampoo, Aussie three minute miracle as condish, and then the glamstreet glaze!
keep in mind that I have VERY dry curly hair! the hair is dry but my scalp is greasy so I have to wash every other day sometimes every day.....
with the threeminute miracle plus the coneyness.....it actually looks and feels like human hair!

luxepiggy
May 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
They're not inherently bad, they just "are" - some people love them and some people hate them, some people are indifferent. I happen to love them (^(oo)^)

GourmetChica
May 17th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I love them too! :love:

My fine blonde hair is much healthier because of them, when I don't use them I get breakage from coming through it wet (with cones the comb slides through and detangles without breakage). Also they act as a great heat protectant, I blow dry on warm a couple of times per week, and give me great shine.

I have no problem with buildup, but I clarify every couple of weeks before every protein treatment.

Ashenputtel
May 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I use them part time. I still get the shine, without the buildup and the hard clarifying shampoo.

I CWC with no cones, parabens and sulfate.

Once a week I do S & C with a sulfate shampoo and a hair mask.

But honestly, I'm mostly using cones and sulfate to finish up my old hair products. I don't think, I'll carry on using them now that I found Live clean argan line.

littlenvy
May 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
For me, I use condish with cones only on very special occasions like a wedding or something when I need my hair very straight, shinny and looking good for that day/evening. And only in summer time.

Otherwise I don't use them. While they do make my hair look good they stick to my hair and it takes a lot of work to get them out. In the long run cones build up on my hair and make my hair more flat looking. I also have to wash more often with cones or hair starts to look really greasy. Funny how oils don't make my hair as greasy as cones.
They also thin out my hair or at least my hair seems way thinner with cones. And in winter time give me so much static that I look like I got hit by lightning. :p

Jean Stuart
May 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM
It really makes no difference to me one way or the other. sometimes I use them and sometimes not. Unless I am co washing then it is no cones.

LoveMyLongHair
May 18th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I use diluted Mane and Tail....I does a good job of getting out build up!

ohhhh.......thank you for that!!! *off to the feedstore today after work, and will be adding that to the list!!*
:)

Anje
May 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
See how your hair feels in a few days before you make any final judgments. Cones aren't intrinsically bad, but as someone who doesn't like them in her hair, these are my objections:
(1) Cones build up and require sulfates to remove. Sulfates make my scalp dry and my hair frizzy, so I prefer them for occasional use only.
(2) Silicones tend to make my hair feel dry and crinkly a few days after using them. I wouldn't notice if I washed daily, but because I wash maybe twice a week, this gets to be a problem. It's also one that a lot of people never have.
(3) I get lots of little "fairy knots" when I use silicones. No idea why.

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
There are a couple of articles on cones in the Articles section :) I quit cones because once I read the ingredients labels on my products I realised that was pretty much all I was using, and they were not giving me perfect hair! Cones definitely left build-up although I didn't realise it at the time. I stopped using sulphate-shampoo at the same time and my hair instantly became more manageable, but obviously I replaced both with rich products containing conditioning agents ands oils. I don't think cones or sulphates are evil, and I may try them again in time.

BrightEyes7
May 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I love cones!

I use them every wash (every 3 days) and I don't have build up issues... :shrug: I guess my hair can handle the extra weight while some people's hair can't. And my scalp/hair can handle sulfates just fine.

So if it works... use it!

kitschy
May 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Cones act as a sealer against moisture. That's why they help reduce frizzies in moist climates and conditions - BUT and that is a big BUT, they also seal in the hair shaft and keep moisture from getting in. It is difficult to get hair properly moisturized when using cones - but it certainly can be done.

Most curlies don't use cones over a long period of time because the cones seal moisture out and curls need moisture.

annieangel149
May 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM
they are not necessarily bad! Its just that cones can give you more build up so you will just need to clarify more often! Some people dont like cones cos it can weigh yur hair down! i needed coney products when i was growing out damaged hair! Now my hair is happier with no cones! Everyones hair is different though. Your hair might love them!!

P.S Sorry I have not read this thread first which is bad i know so this has probably already been said :)

oh after thinking about this there may be one down side! cones are known to lock moisture out!

GourmetChica
May 22nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
Cones act as a sealer against moisture. That's why they help reduce frizzies in moist climates and conditions - BUT and that is a big BUT, they also seal in the hair shaft and keep moisture from getting in. It is difficult to get hair properly moisturized when using cones - but it certainly can be done.

Most curlies don't use cones over a long period of time because the cones seal moisture out and curls need moisture.

I find that issue easily solved though, but putting moisture on first before the silicone product. For example argan oil on freshly washed hair followed by a leave in with silicone. (I should add also that my shampoo and conditioners are typically cone free).