PDA

View Full Version : Bath Bombs and hair?

-simply Venus-
May 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I am obsessed with Lush (If you don't know what that is, it's a company that makes bath and body products that are all natural, and it's really wonderful! <3) And they make bath bombs (As do other companies, but the most known ones are from Lush) Which are these round balls you put in your bath water and it fizzes up and turns the bath water a color and makes it smell nice. The ones from Lush also are moisturizing, but not all companies make them like that.

My question is, are they bad for your hair? Do they leave a residue? Are the Lush ones okay because it's moisturizing?

Thanks in advance. =]

N.L. Machine
May 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hmm... I love Lush too, and I think it all depends on the bomb you use. My favs are Butterball and Big Blue, and Butterball is cocoa butter, essential oil, and citric acid basically, so the cocoa butter would probably just moisturize your hair a bit but i wouldn't worry too much about residue. Big blue is the seaweed and sea salt one which shouldn't cause any harm or residue built up on your hair.

But what I do after I wash my hair in the tub (although I usually wash it in the shower) is rinse it under the tub faucet the last time I rinse with cold water :)

Hope that helped!!:D

summerjade
May 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I love Lush products that I have used!! I have not used any of the bath bombs yet, but I plan to try them next. I would think the hair would need at least a rinse after using anything with moisture in it in the bath water just to make sure no residue is left behind.

-simply Venus-
May 17th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks =] So I should probably rinse my hair with clean water, but on a lazy day, it would be fine without?

lacefrost
May 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I work for LUSH :) . All our bathbombs are made of baking soda, citric acid, food coloring and essential oils. I would say it's only okay for your hair if your hair likes baking soda rinses and you're gonna do a lemon juice or ACV rinse afterwards. Also it's only okay if you mind you hair getting colored a bit. Recently one of my coworkers, who's got whiteblonde hair got a bit of her hair dipped into a Think Pink bowl (bright pink bathbomb.) And now that tip is hot pink. I don't know if it went away when she washed her hair as I haven't seen her since the incident a couple days ago but if it's even demi or semi permanent. . .just watch out. I would be very very careful.

Animae
May 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
And Lush is not All Natural, it is all fresh and hand made, but they still use some chemicals.

lacefrost
May 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
And Lush is not All Natural, it is all fresh and hand made, but they still use some chemicals.

Yep! Like the baking soda and the food coloring in our bath bombs.

Anje
May 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Granted, there's lots of buffering happening and variable volumes in the bathtubs, but roughly what's the final pH of the bath bomb with all that citric acid in there as well as the baking soda? If it tips toward acidic, I would bet it wouldn't require an acid rinse afterward.

The reaction between the two causes some of the fizz, and it's going to result in a salt in the tub that you probably want to rinse out of your hair in any case.