PDA

View Full Version : how to wear hair with a graduation cap

squiggyflop
May 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
so im stewing a little bit over my mom telling me that i need to cut my hair for graduation.

anyway, how does one wear hair with a graduation cap? without cutting it i mean.. i cant get a bun to work with the cap, even a really low one..
eta: im getting my associates degree in less than 2 weeks

Wavelength
May 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Crown or coronet braid? It would keep all your hair up and be evenly distributed.

squiggyflop
May 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Crown or coronet braid? It would keep all your hair up and be evenly distributed.
i tried something like that, i couldnt fit the tiny cap over it.. it doesnt have much stretch

Scarlet_Heart
May 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I just wore my hair down under the cap. Could you do that? What about a braid(s)?

ETA: Duh! I forgot to say congrats!
:happydance: CONGRATULATIONS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcS0aYJ2a8) :cake: (oh yea, you wanna click it)

:graduate: :deal:

Firefly
May 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Could you wear it loose? My hair wasn't as long as yours when I graduated-- I think it was a little above BSL, but that's how I wore it. Or how about a braid of some kind? Plain, French?

Jean Stuart
May 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Congratulations on graduating. I always thought long hair hanging loose and neat with a cap and gown look real nice.

gossamer
May 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I wore mine in a half up and it was a little past classic at the time.

owlathena
May 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
A braid. Or two.

spidermom
May 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Whatever you can do with the cap on. I think I'd go with a Dianyla braid down the back.

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I am getting my hair done at a salon for my graduation. For the big graduation cerimony I'm going with it down and straightened since I know a cap will fit that way. For the English department graduation caps aren't required so I'm getting a fun updo. My best advice if you must wear a cap is either down and heat styled (just this once) or in a low chignon at the base of the neck. A braid over the shoulder would also look nice because you could show the length without it getting in the way.

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I just wore my hair down for my Bsc degree, though mine was only nearly bsl, maybe a half up?

torrilin
May 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Which buns have you tried?

squiggyflop
May 17th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Which buns have you tried?
the cap goes over the back of my head so i tried buns at the base of my neck.. even a beebutt bun (which has the smallest diameter base of all the buns i can find) is too big with my hair length/thickness for the cap to go on properly.

hmmm braids.. i wonder what kind of goop i would have to put in my hair to keep it smooth without bits sticking out for the whole ceremony

eta: as to heat styling it.. um, my hair wont stay heatstyled.. its useless.. it wont hold heat curls and it wont stay straightened.. one of the reasons i grew my hair out (i couldnt get rid of my farrah hair waves)

Laurenji
May 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I just wore mine down...but I have 1b hair, so it stayed straight the whole time.

vlhxo
May 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I graduated this past Saturday and wore my hair down. My friends with long hair also wore their hair down. We all figured the cap was unflattering enough without trying to tuck all of our hair into it and have a weird lump in the back.

Lunnafindel
May 17th, 2011, 07:31 PM
We were talking about this in the knee-length and beyond thread, people were suggesting a folded braid or two french braids looped up with the ends tucked in to each other. Loose is really not an option for hair beyond classic, especially if it's raining (which it might be). I was thinking maybe an english braid with a couple of accent braids loosely woven into it... I should choose soon though - I graduate on Sunday.

Lark
May 17th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Congrats! I second the braid with accent braids, I think that style is so very pretty. Also, let your mom know that she will have a ton of long haired women knocking on her door if she makes you cut it!:patrol:

shawty
May 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Dood, why would you need to cut your hair? What is your mom talking about?

Why would you need to style it at all? You could likely wear it down.
Or do a single English braid beginning at the nape of your neck and use bobby pins or some kind of pins to keep the cap in place. =)

Congrats btw! :D

shawty
May 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Oh I just saw whay you said about braids... OOPS, I really should have read all the comments before posting. Heh heh... sorry.
Well it sounds like your cap is not the same as the ones I've seen and I'm having trouble picturing it. Sorry I couldn't help... =/
Best wishes!

teela1978
May 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Nightshade posted a picture of her sister's graduation hair, one of those victorian updo's... low ponytail, topsy-tail it, bunch of braids, tuck in. It seems like it should be low enough for a cap. I'm not sure why you can't just leave it down though.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1099086&postcount=61

Torrin Paige's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N7_7_NlnF0&feature=player_embedded

Nightshade
May 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Indeed :) It turned out really pretty:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_qbGfxZc8SsY/Tbq6ZoaYboI/AAAAAAAABdo/KmqCo3MJnuw/VictorianGraduation.jpg

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
A French braid or something would work, wouldn't it?? You could always whack in a bit of product if you want it to stay (or maybe oil it or something?!). You could wear the braid looped up if you want to, and secured down low, so the cap would still fit.

And pfft...why should you cut your hair for your graduation?? Sheesh it's just one day... parents (and some other non long haired people) can have weird ideas!

Elph
May 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
How about putting the cap on and then doing your hair - rather then the other way around, this way you can put it in a bun or braid it, and even if the bun goes over the edge of the cap it won't be bulging.....just a suggestion.

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 12:46 AM
How about putting the cap on and then doing your hair - rather then the other way around, this way you can put it in a bun or braid it, and even if the bun goes over the edge of the cap it won't be bulging.....just a suggestion.

I don't know what it's like where she is, but we always hired caps and didn't get them until we were there... and thus we had to do our hair beforehand! But yeah, if you already had your cap, that would be a good idea.

pepperminttea
May 18th, 2011, 01:54 AM
If you fancy going for a braid to keep things secure, what about the Rapunzel braid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61440)? :)

longhairdntcare
May 18th, 2011, 02:18 AM
a loose-ish fishtail braid would be super cute

squiggyflop
May 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I don't know what it's like where she is, but we always hired caps and didn't get them until we were there... and thus we had to do our hair beforehand! But yeah, if you already had your cap, that would be a good idea.

yeah i totally already have my cap.. and gown.. its the most ugly bright blue you ever saw. its a good idea styling it before it goes on.. ill just have to be extra careful driving there to not mess the hat up

thanks guys.. so many ideas.. i cant do the rupunzel braid because my fingers cant figure out how to do it yet.. (stupid fingers)

but i think what torrin did could work.. hmmm maybe with 3 hawser braids or 3 rope braids.. hmmm maybe that would be too much.. 3 english braids would take the stress out of an already stressful day

Barbie Diamond
May 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Loose and curled at the ends is an awesome look!

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
I just graduated from high school last month, and I did something terrible for my hairstyle D: I straightened it!!!

Monkey962
July 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Is just having it down out of the question? I seem to remember an Aussie girl on the forum who graduated not too long ago, and she had hers down, which looked quite lovely.

Toffee20
July 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ohhhh this is really exciting... I'm graduating from uni soon & hadn't even thought about it! Probably will end up with it down . . ! =D