PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Hair Down

pinkprincess
June 18th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm trying to decide on a hair goal length. I want to be able to wear it down fairly often without damaging it.

What length before you find it hard to wear it down often?

(sorry if that doesn't make much sense, having a bad fibromyalgia day:rolleyes:)

orangeeyecrayon
June 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I find that your awnswers will vary a lot based on the hair type...

for me as my hair gets longer the hair near my roots get pulled straight while the ends remain curly so i find it is easier to wear it up once i reach about BSL

<She>
June 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Well personally, I find it not so hard to wear my hair down, considering the weather outside and what kind of fabric I wear on myself, or the products used on it. If it's windy or if the humidity is high, it's imposible to wear it down. But on other, calm days I can wear it with no significant problems.
By the way, I don't think you have to decide your goal length. Just keep it growing and only you will see for yourself when it is hard to wear it down with no tangles or damage. I see yours is mid-back length, mine is almost classic (the taper reaches classic, but not the rest of the hemline). I think you will know where it's the goal length for you, just let it grow and take care of it.:)

Raederle
June 18th, 2008, 10:03 AM
The few times I wear my hair loose, I have to pay too much attention to it to prevent it from getting caught various things. For me, it's more a matter of convenience to keep it up most of the time. I think fine hair is harder to leave loose, because the strands get a mind of their own and go all over the place.

It's also a challenge to find a length that will stay back behind your shoulders when you lean forward, for example, without then falling forward under your arms. That said, a lot depends on what kind of hazards you're typically around.

Sorry this probably isn't much help, but once I discovered the wonderful world of hair tools, I had a most excellent excuse to wear it up, and enjoy the different quality hair tools at my disposal.

Anje
June 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I think EdG is past knee-length and wears his down exclusively. He also has coarse hair, probably of the relatively indestructible Asian variety that I envy.

As for me, hair long enough to fall in my face must be pulled back at least part of the time. I only wear mine loose occasionally, for a few hours at a time. So, probably past pixie, my hair has to be worn up, though I've never had it that short. :-D

AJoifulNoise
June 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Looking back, I wore my hair down almost daily when it was BSL. Maybe a bit after that, too. Somewhere between BSL and waist it became more practical to wear it up. Nearing tailbone, I can still wear it down... But, it is more of a chore.

freznow
June 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I find it equally difficult to wear my hair down, ever since before BSL even to now. If anything, it's easier now because it stays back there. But it tangles just as much, gets in the way just as much. I think it may be because it's fine. But any way I have it, I much prefer to wear my hair up.

Periwinkle
June 18th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Something of it depends on you, too. I have not been able to wear my hair down at any length simply because it drives me up the wall, right from ear-length to BSL where I am now.

Alaia
June 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm past TB at this point and I still wear mine down, but a month or so ago I couldn't stand to have it down...

It does, as everyone says, depend on you and your preferences, not really the hair.

Eden Iris
June 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
As Raederle said, it depends on the hazards you're around. My "hazards" were babies, and they required putting my hair up at around shoulder length. Tiny babies, they grab your hair with wet hands, then the hands get stuck in the hair, and ow. Putting it up became a habit and now I feel weird and sort of naked with it down.

Maravel
June 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have hair that's just a bit past BSL, and I LOVE to wear it down. The whole reason I'm growing it is to have beautiful hair that hangs down my back, and I don't enjoy it as much if I keep it up all the time.

That said, once it gets a little longer, and I get some of my thickness back *hopefully* I will be able to pull it up and wear a bun proudly. Right now, when I bun my hair, I just feel like it's so small and silly looking compared to the rest of me. I think my hair suits me better when it's wavy and down.

Amara
June 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I found the only difference is in wearing it up or down in the car. I cannot wear it down in the car anymore, since waist-ish. It's in the windows, stuck behind my back and getting pulled, tangled all around me. :p

But I haven't found a difference other than that.

pinkprincess
June 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Well, I just wondered, I wanted to make a temporary decision since I can't decide anywhere between tailbone and knee (depending on how long it will grow). I work in a small office so that doesnt really affect it although I do sit in a swivelly computer chair lol. But I wondered if classic - knee might be hard to wear down when shopping or whatever.

Thanks for personal experiences given so far though!

Forever_Sophie
June 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
My hair is about 3.5" past bra strap length, & as always, I like it down. I only make sure to put it up when working at daycare (kids & their dirty hands!!). It's definitely feeling more inconvenient now that it's almost summer, but...I actually think I'd trim a few inches before wearing it up constantly.

lirael
June 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Mine is mid-thigh and I wear it down 80&#37; of the time I'm not at work or the gym. It really depends on how easily you get annoyed with keeping track of it.

Darkhorse1
June 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I love wearing my hair down---from when it was butt length/nearing my knees to waist length. Of course, it does depend on what I'm doing. At the barn, I can't wear it down as I need to see what I'm doing and there are safety hazards (hair can get in the way of your peripheral vision.

I guess it's a personal thing? If it's hot and humid, my hair is up and off the back of my neck.

Funnily enough, with my newer car, I can't wear my hair up. The head rest is fairly high and if I have it all up in a bun, it pushes my head forward. I also wondered if that would be a risk if in an accident and if your head is gapped by long hair. I can wear it in a braid in the car or loose, so it doesn't matter :)

flapjack
June 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Mine is hip length and I wear it down more than 90&#37; of the time without any issues. It just all stays together in a giant patch down my back unless there is wind, in which case, I run for the bathroom to braid it/put it up. One large breeze can turn me into Cousin It.

Haith
June 18th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I absolutely love to wear my hair down, so its very important for me to be able to do that. If my hair ever reaches a length where its no longer comfortable for me to have it down, then it's getting a trim!

<She>
June 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Mine is hip length and I wear it down more than 90% of the time without any issues. It just all stays together in a giant patch down my back unless there is wind, in which case, I run for the bathroom to braid it/put it up. One large breeze can turn me into Cousin It.

But are there bathroms everywhere you go? Randomly placed on the street?:lol:

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Why don't you just put (First goal waist) and then if you get there and decide you want to go on then do it. It's not set in stone and really it's different for everyone. Mine already gets on my nerves down in some situations. I like it down at home but almost anywhere out now I put it up. It starts bugging me. If there's a special occasion though I will wear it down. Heat and humidity play a part too for sure! When it's cooler I wear it down a lot more at least at my length, not sure how it will be at longer lengths.

flapjack
June 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM
But are there bathroms everywhere you go? Randomly placed on the street?:lol:

Hey, I've braided right on the street before! I will go "there" if necessary! :cool:

harley mama
June 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have always worn mine down most of the time, short or long.
I guess it's what ever you are use to.