PDA

View Full Version : I'm hand shy!

Jeno86
May 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Quite recently, a friend at work was asking me about my hair and reached out to touch it. Without meaning to, I lowered myself and jumped back. This startled her and she made the comment that it reminded her of a dog that had been beaten and became hand shy. It got me thinking and I realized that I have been doing this for years. I asked my mother about it and she said that it started when I was very young and that I always hated to have my hair brushed. Then it hit me: my old baby sitter was HORRIBLE when it came to brushing my hair. She would put her hand on the top of my head and RIP the brush through my hair, tearing out quite a bit of hair. No wonder I never wanted my hair touched. On a plus side, it will keep people from touching my hair without me wanting them to haha. I’m not sure why I made this, just felt like I should haha.

luxepiggy
May 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I'm like this with my face - I HATE when people touch my face!!

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I just don't like people touching me period unless specifically invited to. I'm a big clean freak plus I have a nose like a bloodhound so anyone who may be dirty, sweaty or stinky better not get near me! :patrol:

Firefox7275
May 17th, 2011, 04:26 PM
If people touch my feet or, worse, encircle my ankles they get KICKED. :steam And that even goes for partners! Touching your hair conveys intimacy or simply invading your personal space IMO.

sweetestpoison
May 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I always shy away when my mom goes to touch my hair. She always wants to put some product in it or mess up the style by messing with it even though it's not her intention. She was terrible at brushing my hair too.. it was so painful!!!

annieangel149
May 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM
i too duck when a hand goes for my hair! i have even gone to grab the wrist of a hand making its way to my hair at times!

Annibelle
May 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I'm always amazed by how many people are willing to touch a stranger's hair! It seems weird for even a friend or acquaintance to do it without asking... yet men and women alike find it acceptable to stroke and sometimes GRAB my fiance's hair. Some even pull it to get it closer to their eyes-- dragging him down with it! (Especially uncool since he's broken his neck-- albeit un-hair related. ;) ) No one has ever done this to me, but I would feel very offended. It's my BODY. If you ask, I might say yes... but have I ever grabbed a stranger's breast? Stomach? Nose? There's not really a big difference-- at least to me.

WittyWordsmith
May 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I just don't like people touching me period unless specifically invited to. I'm a big clean freak plus I have a nose like a bloodhound so anyone who may be dirty, sweaty or stinky better not get near me! :patrol:

I'm with you there!

I'm okay letting people I know and trust play with my hair when I'm in the mood for it. Mostly because my mom always used to (since it's thicker than hers and she was jealous.)

But if someone I'm not close to tries to touch me, I'm not okay with that. And lord help them if they smell of anything less than pleasant...

That said, I have some cousins that embrace the sweatier side of life and don't always shower. That's an extreme challenge to me when it's time for hugs!

MagicAndMayhem
May 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I actually love it when people touch my hair haha. Now when they pull it....rawrrrr :mad:

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I hate people touching my hair, it makes me cringe! But i have no idea where it comes from, I just find it bad manners to touch without permission.

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I'm with you there!

I'm okay letting people I know and trust play with my hair when I'm in the mood for it. Mostly because my mom always used to (since it's thicker than hers and she was jealous.)

But if someone I'm not close to tries to touch me, I'm not okay with that. And lord help them if they smell of anything less than pleasant...

That said, I have some cousins that embrace the sweatier side of life and don't always shower. That's an extreme challenge to me when it's time for hugs!

Ugh, I know what you mean :rolleyes:. My cousin takes a shower about once every two weeks and hardly ever brushes her teeth. Unfortunatly for everyone she is one of those "compulsive huggers". Whenever she gets near me I throw politeness to the wind and run away screaming.

Scarlet_Heart
May 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I just don't like people touching me period unless specifically invited to. :patrol:

100% this. I never have, and never will, go for a massage for this reason. :shudder:

pineapples
May 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
100% this. I never have, and never will, go for a massage for this reason. :shudder:

I feel you both. I will, at times, even look twice before a hand shake.:rolleyes:

But no touching the hair. another reason it is almost always up.

ps. Jeno86 I love your sigy.

PamelaViktoria
May 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Me too! I get sinus infections, so I'm very conscience of not touching my face. So if someone wants to touch my hair, I always think 'where have those hands been?'

Dizzy_zzz
May 17th, 2011, 08:30 PM
It's the exact opposite for me; I don't really care when people touch my hair (as long as they don't try to brush it), but I freeze or go limp when they touch my body, and I have no idea why!

shawty
May 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM
From about when I was 8 until about when I was 12, every time I was sitting down and my brother passed behind me, he would pop me on the back of the head. Like a quick little b*tchslap. Every time. For four years. At least he tried to; eventually it became second nature to avoid his hand.

Ever since then, any time my brother is behind me I swerve away, even though he doesn't do it anymore (I'm 21).

racrane
May 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I understand. My mom was terrible to my hair (and bad to hers, too - she just doesn't know how to take care of hair) and that scarred me. I don't even like my boyfriend touching my hair, and he's always gentle.

Luna12345
May 18th, 2011, 11:20 PM

Me too!!! I don't like people touching my hair or face. That's why I don't often go to hair salons, or to get my eyebrows done.