PDA

View Full Version : Movie Star method and my dogs!!

LoveMyLongHair
May 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hello lovelies...

I wanted to share this........my son brought home a 7 week old pup who had the WORST skin/fur you could imagine.....the poor thing had humongous dandruff flakes, dry itchy skin, dull coat, you get the picture....

So, I grabbed some tearless, puppy shampoo, put that into my hand, mixed in Coconut oil and slathered it on him, working it in really well.......after rinsing and drying, I still wasn't completly happy, though he looked MUCH better......so.....what did I do? :question: Yeppers!! I DID.......I grabbed more coconut oil and proceeded to lightly work in into his topcoat like we do on our hair.

Boy, WHAT A difference !! :agape: Coat was shiny like a mirror, but not greasy.......being black you could really tell the difference.....it went from a dull mahogonie'ish to a vivid, shiny black. His skin no longer flaked and he stopped itching. I procceeded to bathe the rest of my dogs in the same manner........now the kitties? Oh, NO......not even attempting THAT one........;)

But all of my dogs looked gorgeous and felt wonderful afterwards.....they ran out to 'show' off to the horses.

Silly dogs...and kudos to my son for saving the little one. He was infested with fleas, worms, you name it. He was the runt AND they had not 'seen' him in the yard and run over his front right shoulder. Thank fully, it was only deep, soft tissue damage and he is running with the BIG dogs now...and the little ones. :love:

Just thought I would share the movie star method for doggies. I may consider doing that in my grooming, as well. :eyebrows:

HintOfMint
May 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Oh what a sweet story!
And good for your son, clearly you're instilling all the right values in him.

LoveMyLongHair
May 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Oh what a sweet story!
And good for your son, clearly you're instilling all the right values in him.

Ha ha at almost 20, sometimes I wonder, but then he does something like this, and it just drives home the fact that the young man I raised really is lurking in there. :love:

He did good. Funny thing is, he fusses about the dogs we have, and then does this....what could I say? I just reached out, took the pup and went to work on him.....meanwhile, my heart was just bursting with pride for what he did.

Thanks hintomint....that means a lot to me. :flower:

Intransigentia
May 17th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the tip! Do we get to see puppy pictures?

BLove
May 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
He sounds like a very sweet young man. Your story makes me wonder about the horses next.

cindy58
May 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
We must have pics!

Poor little fella, glad you are able to fix him up!

LoveMyLongHair
May 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the tip! Do we get to see puppy pictures?

Yes ma'am, I will most certainly get some of him up to ya'll tomorrow....now to figure out how to do this, I have not yet posted pics on here. *giggle* I"ll be glad to share him. :love:

He sounds like a very sweet young man. Your story makes me wonder about the horses next.

Umm....yaaa.....I have been debating that one, *smh* but I really have. I may start with a miniature to see and then on the the biggies. If I tackle that, which I am sure I will, I'll let ya'll know and post that pic, also. I have been oiling one of the mini's mane, as his is SO dry.....lol....I'll share pics once I have done that. :cheese:

LoveMyLongHair
May 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Thank you blove....and also, welcome to LHC! :flower:

owlathena
May 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
My mom did the exact same thing for our doggie this past winter when fleas got the better of her and she tore up her rump scratching herself. She's pretty old (14 year old black lab) so she looked really mangy--a bunch of her hair fell out, dry flakey skin, etc. She "Movie Star Method" washed her and continued to slather her with coconut oil for a few days. Her skin healed up and her hair grew back, nice and shiny. :D

pineapples
May 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Aw! So cute!
Did he lick the coco oil?
Every single time I have tried it on my dogs they've licked it all off... but then again that could be just my dogs that want to eat everything in sight....:shrug:

PamelaViktoria
May 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I luv coconut oil and so does my hair!

chelshireling
May 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM
thanks so much for this. my dog has dry skin and hair, which i always thought was so weird, but im going to try it.

LoveMyLongHair
May 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM
thanks so much for this. my dog has dry skin and hair, which i always thought was so weird, but im going to try it.

Please do report back and let us know how it works for you! I have had to 'tweak' it just a bit for Pipsqeek, my Siberian, but the 'normal' way works just fine for my others, including my long haired, teachup Chihuahua. I thought she might be a bit 'greasy' looking, but she was soooooooooooo soft and fluffy afterwards...it was a 'wow' moment. :cheese:

LoveMyLongHair
May 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Aw! So cute!
Did he lick the coco oil?
Every single time I have tried it on my dogs they've licked it all off... but then again that could be just my dogs that want to eat everything in sight....:shrug:

They didn't, but I also have taken to putting a wee bit of coconut oil into their food for itchies, so I guess they are 'used' to it, therefore it being on their coats is not much of a 'stolen treat' :rollin:

When I put it on Diesel's ears the first time, he DID try to lick it off, but since they now ingest it, I guess it's not so....'gotta have what I dont' get' . Ya know?

However, that all being said, licking it off, allows them to let it work internally, also. My dogs love it on their food. I warm it just a bit and pour it on. Then, you'd better be out of the way of food bowls, because the stampede commences. lol

YesitsReal
May 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Uh, sorry to interject--it seems as though you're doing a good thing for your pup's skin, but have you taken him to a vet to check and see if he has any sort of underlying problem? Sometimes those symptoms you described can go along with things like mange or even a hormonal problem. Don't want to burst your bubble! :o Just trying to help out. :)

LoveMyLongHair
May 18th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Uh, sorry to interject--it seems as though you're doing a good thing for your pup's skin, but have you taken him to a vet to check and see if he has any sort of underlying problem? Sometimes those symptoms you described can go along with things like mange or even a hormonal problem. Don't want to burst your bubble! :o Just trying to help out. :)

Oh, yes, he has been vetted...the vet was tickled with what I had done. Diesel Puppy, aside from having been anemic from the amount of fleas and worms, is fine. He was anemic and underweight, just generally unhealthy from lack of care.

The vet had me repeat 3 times about the coconut oil method. ;)

He is also supportive of them getting it over their food, as the vets do sell oil supplements, but since this is pure he is thrilled with it.

Any input is always welcome hon......no offense taken and bubble still intact. :flower:

LoveMyLongHair
May 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Also, I chose to try this MSM for several reasons:

As a groomer, I know skin and fur fairly well..

I also know that even though, I use a soapless shampoo, his skin was going to have issues from it, because of the condition it was in.

I knew he not only needed to be *clean* but also needed moisture therapy, so the MSM came to mind and I went with it.

I can't tell you what a difference it made on him, and my other dogs, as well. Horses are next. :face:

ratgirldjh
August 26th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I have used this on my chihuahua too! It worked much better on him than me however! Actually I used my left over mix on him and his fur came out sooo soft!!! I think I will keep it up with him because the detergent I used also seemed to make the fleas not interested! I used the Dr. Bronner's Sal-Suds that has pine and fur oils in it.