PDA

View Full Version : This is a GREAT tip!

buttercupmcgee
May 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I've been using a wide tooth comb for a while now, but sometimes I want that smooth boar bristle look. I've been using a fine tooth comb to accomplish this, but I don't think it's great for the hair--I hear ripping sometimes.

The trouble is, the only boar bristle options I've found are a) really expensive/mason pearson type brushes, or cheaper ones with synthetic and plastic imitation bristles. Sometimes they even have spikes of metal or plastic sticking up in between the boar bristles. Gahh!

I was watching a tutorial the other day and the woman used a baby brush! BRILLIANT! This is what I'm talking about:

http://pj.b5z.net/i/u/2047940/i//Baby-Hair-Brush.jpg

I picked one up at the drugstore and the bristles are super soft, softer than boar, and they get the job done just as well. It doesn't do much to sort through tangles, but that's what I use the wide tooth for. It certainly smooths, sleekens, and preps for updos.

Just thought I'd share this stroke of genius!

LoveMyLongHair
May 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I've been using a wide tooth comb for a while now, but sometimes I want that smooth boar bristle look. I've been using a fine tooth comb to accomplish this, but I don't think it's great for the hair--I hear ripping sometimes.

The trouble is, the only boar bristle options I've found are a) really expensive/mason pearson type brushes, or cheaper ones with synthetic and plastic imitation bristles. Sometimes they even have spikes of metal or plastic sticking up in between the boar bristles. Gahh!

I was watching a tutorial the other day and the woman used a baby brush! BRILLIANT! This is what I'm talking about:

http://pj.b5z.net/i/u/2047940/i//Baby-Hair-Brush.jpg

I picked one up at the drugstore and the bristles are super soft, softer than boar, and they get the job done just as well. It doesn't do much to sort through tangles, but that's what I use the wide tooth for. It certainly smooths, sleekens, and preps for updos.

Just thought I'd share this stroke of genius!

How genius!

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Brilliant. I prefer a stiff one but I do have a softer one for smoothing down buns!

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM
That is a great idea and I think the results will be similar to a BBB. I just bought a 100% boar bristle brush and you are right- they are EXPENSIVE! I wish they made baby brushes that were stiffer so they would actually get through my hair rather than just pet the top.

ravenreed
May 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have used a baby brush to try to smooth my hair on days when it is being piecey looking. It is very, very gentle, but ultimately I decided to just cleanse my hair more often. The BBB (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Square-Paddle-Brush/SBS-234603,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10) I use comes from Sally's and wasn't terribly expensive at all.

gogirlanime
May 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I still prefer combs because I have fragile and fine hair, though this is really interesting and I will recommend it to others :) Thanks for the info!

TakeAPotatoChip
May 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
And here I thought I was now restricted to combs because I'm a vegan :D I was going to try out a 'soft bristled' (plastic, you know the ones) brush, but thought I'd just try out a finer-toothed comb instead, but now this. That's brilliant. Thanks!

BrightEyes7
May 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I got my BBB at Walmart for less than $3. It's 100% BB, too! It's called the Wave Enforcer.

MyKing'sQueen
May 17th, 2011, 01:52 PM
This is a great idea, I think I'm going to try this since I feel that BBB is too rough on my hair.

epigrrl
May 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the idea. I never would have thought of baby brushes.

I got my BBB at Walmart for less than $3. It's 100% BB, too! It's called the Wave Enforcer.
That's where I've gotten mine, too. They're in the ethnic hair care section. Maybe not as nice as the super pricey ones, but they're realy boar bristle, and work well.

Zindell
May 19th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Great tip! Why haven't I ever though to that before?

Thanks! :)

Madora
May 19th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm glad you found a brush that works for you. Please, for the sake of your hair, always detangle FIRST before you brush!

A pure boar bristle brush not need cost a mint! Just make sure the tag or the brush itself says pure boar bristles (no nylon, no reinforced stuff..just real boar bristles, which come in different colors ..white/black/brown/blonde).

The stiffness of the brush varies greatly..and that stiffness will dissipate with time. Try and feel the brush bristles before you purchase it. Be sure it has a FLAT bottom and that the handle feels comfortable in your hand. Cheaper brushes have crummy, clunky handles..and you certainly don't want to have cramped hands from using them!

Hailes
May 19th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Great Tip I will deff try :)

JuliaDancer
May 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have a large Mason Pearson and a pocket size to keep in my purse. I love them! My hair feels so smooth after I use them.

Chetanlaiho
May 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have a BBB (though I'm not sure how good it is, but it works so far xD) but I think I may get a baby brush anyway to take with me on the go for fixing my bangs ^_^

wvgemini
May 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I have used a baby brush to try to smooth my hair on days when it is being piecey looking. It is very, very gentle, but ultimately I decided to just cleanse my hair more often. The BBB (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Square-Paddle-Brush/SBS-234603,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10) I use comes from Sally's and wasn't terribly expensive at all.

Ooh! Planning a Sally's trip after work, sweet!

Hot and Silky:eyebrows: Love that. No idea why they named it that, but it's kind of awesome.

Sabriel
May 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I also have a cheap boar bristle brush - I got it for like $6 at target. It says it's 100% boar bristle and is pretty soft so I don't think it'll be damaging to my hair if I'm gentle with it. So that's a great tip, but you should be able to find a cheap one :)