PDA

View Full Version : Good relationship with hairdressers

Ashenputtel
May 17th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm sorry if there subject has been recently treated, but I was wondering how many of you actually like going to the hairdresser.

Personnaly, I love going there. I like having my scalp massaged, I like having a brushing (I know its bad but I do more or less 5 heat styling per year, I can get away with it), I like arguiing with them on their products, well you get the idea.

How about you?

Joliebaby
May 17th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I do because my stylist is a friend of mine and I can trust her. I like the pampering, chatting, drinking coffee, browsing a magazine. Now I go like once a year if that ;)

renarok
May 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I love my hair stylist. He listens to what I say, he is exceptionally talented at hair coloring. He will cut off exactly the amount I ask him to.

I wish every hairdresser was like him. He works in Brentwood CA if anyone wants to visit him.

Peanutter
May 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I always dreaded going to the hairdressers until I found one who did a good job, listened to me and never cut off more than I wanted. Then, I moved. Boo.. now I dread the hairdresser's again cuz they always always ALWAYS cut off more than we agreed on. :mad:

UltraBella
May 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I love having my hair washed and trimmed !! I love my stylist ! I just don't love the shampoo bowls, my hair fills the whole sink and then the water doesn't drain. Want a long haired sink please !!!!

racrane
May 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I used to really like my stylist, but that was when I had shoulder length hair. I know she told me she doesn't think long hair looks good on me...so I'm hesitant to go back and tell her I'm growing my hair out. Granted, last time I was there was in December and I'm planning on not going back for a while - as long as my hair doesn't need a trim. We'll see how it goes... If anyone knows a good hairstylist in the Milwaukee area let me know!

Ashenputtel
May 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I used to really like my stylist, but that was when I had shoulder length hair. I know she told me she doesn't think long hair looks good on me...so I'm hesitant to go back and tell her I'm growing my hair out. Granted, last time I was there was in December and I'm planning on not going back for a while - as long as my hair doesn't need a trim. We'll see how it goes... If anyone knows a good hairstylist in the Milwaukee area let me know!

I hate when they do that! I have a round face I get the your hair shouldn't be too long sorta comments. I just want to reply and you should stop frying your hair!

Ah that and when they try to sell me stuff or 5 minutes treatments...

ooo
May 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I love going to the hairdresser. All the pampering. Unfortunately he was in a bad mood last time I went. Luckily he cheered up a bit :)

Carolyn
May 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I don't enjoy going at all. I've never understood the "pampering" part. For me, it's just maintenance like going to the dentist. I've been fortunate to have had stylists who listen to me and do what I ask since I've been growing my hair out this time. I've had some awful ones and some that were just OK. I'm very fortunate to have a good one now. The best part of a salon appointment for me is being done and walking out the door. Those salon chair are so uncomfortable. My butt hurts so bad. I always leave with a low back ache and sore tailbone. If I have to use one of those godawful salon dryers, it's even worse. I get a splitting headache, my neck is in so much pain and my eyes get so dry from the hot air. I do enjoy getting pedicures and facials. Those seem to be more of a pampering thing to me. My mom got her hair done every week and would say how much she liked going. I never understood why.

Ermine
May 17th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I like going when they do exactly what I say and don't talk too much. Though after my hair gets to chin length, I might not see much my my hairstylist at all.

pepperminttea
May 17th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I'm not a fan; it's the small talk I hate. I'm not a great conversationalist, and I'd much prefer it if it was normal and unawkward to sit in silence.

That said, during my early/mid-teens my hairdresser used to French braid my hair when she was done, which at the time wasn't something I could do myself. I really loved that. :D

Intransigentia
May 17th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I've actually only had one bad hairdresser in my life, and that was when I had short hair. (ETA: I really don't know why I kept going back to him. He worked wonders with my mom's hair, but butchered mine and you'd think after the second time that would be it but nooo)

These days, I get my hair cut so rarely I don't really have a relationship with the hairdresser; I just take whoever's available and nobody remembers me anyway. I do enjoy the part of the visit where they coo over how thick and healthy and shiny my hair is.

spidermom
May 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
My hair sylist does a great head massage when she washes my hair. She does what I ask but has great ideas to share, too. She's awesome!

Lielananna
May 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I love going to my hairdresser. He's always saying good things about my hair and he loves to play with it. The only bad thing I have to say about going to him is that it can take a few hours to be done with my appointment since he does love to do different hairstyles and take pictures of them so if I'm in a hurry its not so much a good thing. My hairdresser specializes in long hair care so I never have to worry he's taking off more than I prefer and I always come out with my hair looking great; either in a pretty braid or blow dried out (which I don't see as a bad thing since that is the only time I ever use heat on my hair) to a shining mass.

Chetanlaiho
May 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I like going as well, I switched places about a year ago since I wasn't completely happy with my old one anymore (I'd gone there since I was a toddler, I remember the only time I went to another salon, the one my mother still visits, they cut off too much and I cried the whole day xD). And now I found one stylist that I really like, she also wants to grow her hair longer so that's something we can talk about ^^

I need a trim so I want to go soon but I haven't gone since I quit shampoo, products and heatstyling on my length and, well they ussually do all of that there. And while I love the way my hair feels after it, I'm not sure it's worth the damage =(

HintOfMint
May 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I love going to the salon, it feels like a treat for me.

I miss my stylist back in California, but he recently got an assistant who does the washing and blowdrying and I REALLY dislike her. She's not very friendly and she's a bit snobby. I wonder if I can ask him if he can do the washing and blowdrying instead of her. Is that a huge faux pas?

Carolyn
May 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I'm not a fan; it's the small talk I hate. I'm not a great conversationalist, and I'd much prefer it if it was normal and unawkward to sit in silence.

That said, during my early/mid-teens my hairdresser used to French braid my hair when she was done, which at the time wasn't something I could do myself. I really loved that. :DI hate having to force myself to deal with small talk and inane chatter. It's exhausting. I used to get my hair french braided several times a year back in the late 80s-early 90s when I was doing a previous grow out. I had layers and a french braid gave me a style that felt longish. I'd go in with clean hair and she would braid it. It was wonderful on really hot days. And best of all it was only $5.

LoveMyLongHair
May 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I love my hairstylist that I have now....she is really good, only dusts my ends when I ask her too, I go to her for my color.

Now, the last time I was in.......she let my hair down and exlaimed, "WHAT have you been doing to your hair? It is SOOOO healthy!!"

Knowing she would never understand Monistat, CO, coconut oil, various poitions and mixtures.......I said, "coconut oil"

She repeated.........."coconut oil?" I said, "yes, coconut oil"

to which I got........ :agape: "No, no, no, no, no NOOOOOO!!" That would be so bad for your hair! Please do not do it too often, I would hate to see you damage your beautiful hair!

THEN she said............"REMEMBER to use the products you bought in here last time, THAT'S why your hair is so beautiful and healthy.

Umm....ya... I bought them for my mom.........they are full of SLS's and everything I don't care for on MY hair, and they don't do 'pretty' things to my hair.....

After seeing her horror at Coconut oil......I let the other slide and mentioned nothing else..............

Ya, but aside from the fact that she can't get outside the box, or in this case bottle......I love her!! lol......she is not a 'cutter' which I love. :love:

squiggyflop
May 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
i HATE going to stylists.. they hurt me physically by yanking my hair and scrubbing my head too hard.. they never ever cut the amount i ask for.. the shampoo and conditioners they use wreck my hair.. so no, i dont go anymore..

however, i did like when my mommy was my stylist.. she was gentle and never cut my bangs too short..

Zesty
May 17th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I never developed a good relationship with any hairdresser, mostly because I never feel motivated to go to one. There are a few I've been back to, but I don't think I've ever really been pleased with the results afterwards... The majority of the time I felt like we weren't communicating well and they didn't know what I wanted, and being a not-very-assertive person, I wasn't good at negotiating that. I'm actually pretty relieved to not have to deal with hairdressers much (ever again?) anymore now that my hair is long and I'm putting it on a diet of S&D only.

tigereye
May 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I like going to the hairdressers. The one I go to are really good. What I don't like though is the sink. My now hip-length hair now barely fits in the sink, and my reeeaaaallly long neck gets really sore being bent back all the time it takes to wash my hair. I also don't like how they use shampoo on my whole length, but they do rather kindly use the cold setting on the hairdryer if they insist on using one.