PDA

View Full Version : What length stage did you hate the most ?

jhill923
May 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM
For all those growing out hair to loooong lengths ;-) what stage bugged you the most and when did it get better ?

Im aiming for waist length and I am an inch above BSL right now and I hate it ! I need more weight ! Please tell me this is one of those annoying stages !

Madora
May 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
This stage bugged..because I had had very long hair before and I hated this length (I had to cut my hair short because of very bad pains in my shoulder):

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/img091copy.jpg

Yes, BSL hair will get longer eventually. Patience is the keyword!

Ashenputtel
May 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'm at exactly the same lenght with too much layers. I'm tired of it too. That and the fact that I stopped coloring it. I feel so PLAIN.

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM
From apl to bsl I hated, it was just so near but so far away from doing different updo's.

adiapalic
May 17th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Well, I hated it when it was cut short at my shoulders when I was 7... at first it was fun because it was light and bouncy. Then I hated it because it stayed in my face all the time, and I missed my mid-back hair. Anything longer than that has been fine.

pepperminttea
May 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Chin. Couldn't tie it back, had to wash it everyday, and just couldn't do anything with it. Bleh, never again.

Firefly
May 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Definitely APL to BSL. My hair sits better past BSL.

Signe
May 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
mid-neck level. unflattering for my face, impossible to put up, triangle head when i didn't heat style. UGH

myotislucifugus
May 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
BSL. Because it lasted forever, and it took to hitting hip for me to feel like I had "long" hair

Nymphea
May 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Well, I hated it when it was cut short at my shoulders when I was 7... at first it was fun because it was light and bouncy. Then I hated it because it stayed in my face all the time, and I missed my mid-back hair. Anything longer than that has been fine.

The same.

Just a sense of my hair being at my mid-back makes me feel better. Besides, I can do a lot more updos/braiding when my hair is past APL. So waiting for my hair to grow from SL to BSL was the worst. That's another reason why I never went back to the lengths shorter than BSL. That bounciness of SL hair was fabulous, but... No, rather not again. :p

buttercupmcgee
May 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I'm currently hovering in the no-man's land of collarbone. The only updos I can do are the peacock and a pony. It was short and flippy before, which was at least some kind of style. This, however, is turning out to be a styling black hole...so, this!!!!

buttercupmcgee
May 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
The same.

Just a sense of my hair being at my mid-back makes me feel better. Besides, I can do a lot more updos/braiding when my hair is past APL. So waiting for my hair to grow from SL to BSL was the worst. That's another reason why I never went back to the lengths shorter than BSL. That bounciness of SL hair was fabulous, but... No, rather not again. :p

How long was your journey from SL to BSL? (And did you trim?)

Xandergrammy
May 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
This one. Barrettes, hairbands, bobby pins and gel were my best friends.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg

spidermom
May 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Pixie to APL because it didn't seem to grow down; it grew wide. It was a bit better at shoulder length, but it finally had enough weight to lay nicely at APL, plus some of the former fluff turned to spiral curls at that length. Yay!

I don't think I'll ever go shorter than APL again, not of my own free will.

ladyfey
May 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
bra strap to waist, it is not really long but is in the way.

Stub
May 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
anything shorter than 'can get it all into ponytail', because I HATE hair in my face! I buzz cut many times over the years while trying to get past that stage. Once it's in a pony I can stand it until it grows.

squiggyflop
May 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
i hated pixi the most.. ive had a pixie type cut twice in my life and hated them both.. actually i hate every stage between pixie and bsl.. because in those stages i couldnt get it out of my way properly

Sundial
May 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I hated shoulder length the most. It was the length at which it was most unmanageable for me - the ends were sticking out at all the wrong angles right where it hits my shoulders, it was too short to be in updos and it was so slippery that nothing holds, super flyaway because it was too short and had no weight to hold it down .... It was just horrid!

Shoulder was always the make-it-or-break-it stage for me :rolleyes: that's where I usually lost the battle and end up going for a trim. I'm really glad that I made it past that stage and I'm never going back there again! It was a total nightmare

annieangel149
May 17th, 2011, 01:01 PM
its got to be neck for me! i hated my ends scratching around my neck but it was damaged which didn't help! At least now it is slightly longer and so my hair is hanging down my upper back now. Its beginning to feel a bit better as im able to sort of push it out of the way, if you know what i mean! :)

alyanna
May 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
This stage bugged..because I had had very long hair before and I hated this length (I had to cut my hair short because of very bad pains in my shoulder):

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/img091copy.jpg

Yes, BSL hair will get longer eventually. Patience is the keyword!

HAHAHAHA!!!! Madora I love that picture! My hair is nowhere near as thick as yours but it *looks* EXACTLY like yours at that length and yes I hate it there too. I hate the pyramid shape! That was the stage where I would always get fed up and cut short. That was the look that made me start getting layers back in the late 90s. My hair would be flat up top and POOFY at the bottom and I always felt like a dork.

With the current state of my hair, I think I'm at the weird length where my hair just doesn't fall nicely. I hope that APL to BSL will be a bit easier, since I still have some layers in my hair that might keep The Pyramid at bay. But I worry that I'm in for a long journey if my hair continues to look awkward until BSL. I sure hope that's not the case!

elbow chic
May 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
aaiiii, Madora's picture looks all too familiar to me, too. What a great shot!

So that's basically where I'm at right now.

It's actually not as even half as bad as the chin-length bob I got when I went into the army. THAT WAS HORRIBLE. So horrible that no pictures of it exist anymore.

The overall effect was dandelion puffball, not sleek high-speed soldier-girl. Even the drill sergeants made fun of it and yelled at me to pull it back/up/whatever, but it wasn't even remotely long enough. Then they screamed at me some more when I tried to explain.

aiii, the memories.

Eventually I cut it really, really short and kept it there for several years. I did grow it out at some point during the pregnancy and infancy of my second child, but I was so unbelievably tired/depressed/disoriented then that my hair was the least of my concerns and I don't remember anything about it till suddenly I woke up and was back at shoulder. :)

nazzooyzo
May 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
the annoying length between pixie and bob!! so hard to make it look nice!

Becky9679
May 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM
As many others are saying anything above BSL (which is where I am now!)
Not properly long, not properly short just plain annoying.

QMacrocarpa
May 17th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Just above the shoulder. Ack, the pyramid hair, and somehow I hated that gap between the bottom of my hair and my shoulders (though the gap didn't bug me at chin-length). As soon as I could get it all into an octopus clip it pretty much stayed there until I outgrew the clip!

MissManda
May 17th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Pixie length wasn't too bad for me because my stylist thinned/layered the living heck out of my hair. I don't really like anything between chin and APL, especially if I have layers because it looks terrible without styling. The stage between APL and BSL wasn't too bad, although serious lack of hairstyles gets annoying. I honestly don't think my hair starts to hang nicely until waist or longer.

Now that my layers are gradually disappearing, though, I must admit that even with my waist-length straightish hair that I'm getting more prominent triangle head. XD

kdaniels8811
May 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Where mine is RIGHT NOW at 4 1/2 inches all over it is impossible to do anything at all with. To short to pony, too long to spike. At 50 plus I am sort of limited on hairstyles. I don't like the way I look in headbands, either. So you guys complaining about shoulder length or beyond - I am JEALOUS! At least you have hair! Smile, I am very happy to have what I have, even though I have short hair, I beat cancer and that is freaking awesome! So now patience while my hair grows out...

terpentyna
May 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM
mid-neck level. unflattering for my face, impossible to put up, triangle head when i didn't heat style. UGH

This is also true for me.

Tiina
May 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Between chin and collarbone. Not flattering for me, practically impossible to style and generally puny looking (because the weight pulls the volume down but the length is nothing special). I look good with very short hair or APL+ hair but nothing in the middle.

However, at any length hair seems to grow waaay too slow so one could also say that all lengths are the worst before goal length. :rolleyes:

x0h_bother
May 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I'm at right above waist and annoyed as well! :(

bondeandeebowl
May 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Shoulder to APL. These ends flipping all over the place are driving me insane! It feels like it's taking forever.

battles
May 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Where I am now. I'm hitting nape length and I can't do much with my hair.. There may be some worse stage waiting for me, as I've never been very far past shoulder length, however..

celebriangel
May 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I have frown out a pixie to BSL so far. The above shoulder lengths were the most irritating with respect to actual hair-related annoyances like it sitting weirdly, getting in my face, etc, but for me so far the Midback Abyss is the most frustrating because my hair is *almost* feeling like it's getting long, just a few more inches, please grow...

I will be so relieved when I get to waist.

Qamar
May 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I hated anything too short to put up or pull into a ponytail. Short isn't flattering on me and it was a royal pain because it was in my eyes all the time. Don't even get me started on bedhead...

Audrey Horne
May 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I hated pixie to chin length the most. I had to chop all the time to avoid a mullet. Chin to BSL is the second choice of mine. This length is awkward and it feels like it stuck and I can never get this BSL! What else do I hate... Is growing out bangs!

TheMechaGinger
May 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I had really long hair before and cut it short, after growing for a while and cutting again now I'm around apl. And it drives me insane. It drove me nuts last time I was apl. It's just short enough that I can't do a lot of the hairstyles I usually would and hair sticks and forks are almost useless because there just isn't enough hair yet but it's SO CLOSE.

vanillabones
May 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Where I am now. I'm hitting nape length and I can't do much with my hair.. There may be some worse stage waiting for me, as I've never been very far past shoulder length, however..

100% to this haha! I'm right there with you. I doubt there is a worst stage with out hair type. It will lay flat and straight and no triangle/pyramid head some people get :p
Not being able to put it up all the way, but not being able to wear it down because my hair is so ugly is the absolute worst. I'm patiently awaiting a day I can properly 'put it up and forget about it'

TheMechaGinger
May 17th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I second growing out bangs, that is the worst.

Audrey Horne
May 17th, 2011, 05:21 PM
The above shoulder lengths were the most irritating with respect to actual hair-related annoyances like it sitting weirdly, getting in my face, etc.
I completely agree.

MagicAndMayhem
May 17th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Anything shorter than APL bugs me since it just looks bad on me lol. BSL is rather annoying right now, too, since I just want it to be waist D:

metricfuture
May 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Between APL and BSL. It's like the awkward teenage years of hair growth. I can't get away with what I was doing at shorter lengths (bye-bye, fingerwaves), but even when I can manage something requiring APL at minimum, it just looks wrong.

Brenda714
May 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Where it is now, between shoulder length and APL, I just can't stand it. I feel plain looking with it like this.

silverstars
May 17th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I'm growing out my hair from a bob. Just past shoulder length was the worst for me. I wanted to cut it so badly.

Atira
May 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm not liking this stage much. ALMOST waist (like the very very longest piece is waist, all others need maybe 1/2-1/4 inch. I can do stuff with it, but it grows so slow I just want to make it waist!

Jcv-Shelley
May 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I grew mine out from a layered bob to almost APL and it still looks so spiky! :(

Chiara
May 17th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Yes, my hair is not quite at APL and I can't wait for it to get longer. It just.does.nothing at the moment, when it's down!

Ermine
May 17th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I'm dreading my current stage, growing a pixie into a bob. Even now, it's only grown out about an inch, but the bangs are harder to work with and the little sideburns are getting more and more unruly. I guess I'll have to roll with it...

Dragon
May 17th, 2011, 11:56 PM
SL and above because it sticks out in weird directions because of the curls and because I had to have layers it would make it too short to even tie back even at SL.

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I think the stage before you can do anything with it is one of the most annoying! It's good when you can at the very least achieve a pony stub! However, also growing APL to waist or so can be annoying...it takes ages and you can often feel like you're just not getting anywhere, even when you are. But it's more a patience issue than a horrible hair issue :p. Why is it that 2" to waist feels like an eternity??

growingpains
May 18th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hmm considering I've been as short as a pixie, I'd say the worst stages were when it was like a mullet. I was 14 at the time and it was pre existence of straighteners, but if I had hair like that again the straightener would be my bff, heck with the damage and LHC knowledge!

I am pretty much happy with anything a couple inches above BSL. Just above BSL is where my hair starts looking good and being manageable for me without as much styling. It also feels long (enough).

In fact, I think actually my best length is a bit above BSL insofar as my hair type and head shape goes. But time will tell, maybe I can get it to look better at longer lengths the better I care for it.

Hang in there. Growing is tough when you don't like where you're at. We've all been there. BUT, the good news is, it does grow! In the meantime try and appreciate what you have!

christine1989
May 18th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Thus far APL to BSL took quite a while. Every time I measured my hair it just would not move past APL! I'm currently working on BSL to waist and it hasn't taken long to approach waist when wet but I'm thinking waist dry is going to be a while. :rolleyes:

kwaniesiam
May 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Right now, growing out a buzzcut. The pixie stage is awkward too. Once I can get it in to a ponytail or a decent braid I'm content, it's out of sight and out of mind when up.

KittyLost
May 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Currntly growing Shoulder to APL and it's awful, feels like it never grows.

Kumiko033
May 18th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I'm in the awkward stage of growing out my pixie, I have about 3 inches of henna'd hair and the rest is still purple/black.
plus, cause my hair is growing healty now it's curly like crazy which makes my hair look even shorter! But maybe..if I'm lucky I'll be able to put it in a pony till in august/september :cheese:

But really, every length you can put in a ponytail is fine since you guy's can hide a bad hair day, I can't since you can't wear a hat everyday!

allmixedup88
May 18th, 2011, 01:29 AM
pixie to about APL to be honest

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Growing out anything with layers SUCKS. I didn't mind growing out one length hair (maybe because I was a kid and didn't care..) but layers just make the task horrible and heat styling is the only option

Joliebaby
May 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Between shoulder and APL for me! It's not properly long but just feels messy and unkempt, if there are layers. If it's blunt it's easier, I must be weird that I don't mind the triangle hair!!

Shoulder to APL with layers is just meh. At which point it's so easy to cut and get a cute bob or a choppy shorter cut.

Past APL it starts to be sort of long, and look more like intentional long hair than just a random mess. So I guess it's better if it's properly short or properly long?

ETA: And short is only easy if you like it and want it to be that way and are not constantly pining for long hair! So if the goal is long hair I'd have to say that the hard stage is bald to APL :)

Becky9679
May 18th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Joliebaby, completely off topic but your hair in your siggy pic is so incredibly thick that I'm now very jealous! It's beautiful :)

Fadedbluedreams
May 18th, 2011, 06:32 AM
From chin to APL. I'm almost at APL now and it just felt like I've spent the past year and a half in the dreaded awkward stage. I feel like this stage will be officially over when I reach APL, and I hope to never have to reach it again.

MichieDoll
May 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I've cut off all my long hair once or twice and I loathed it when it was just past my shoulder length. It looked like I couldn't decide on a length or a style. *cringe*

Phexlyn
May 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Shoulder length was completely annoying and unflattering and I couldn't do nice updos, sometimes not even a proper ponytail without some strands slipping out of it.

Classic length was also not for me at the time I had it because the ends were so thin it didn't really look good, but I kept sitting on my hair even when it was in a braid, which made the ends even worse. The next time I get to classic, it will be with much fuller and healthier ends, so it's going to be much more pleasant :)

lilalong
May 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I hated chin. As soon as I reached shoulders I could easily put it up or style it in a fun way.

pink.sara
May 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM
With everyone who says chin to APL, it's just past shoulder at the moment and will take about 2 whole years of no trimming to get all the way to APL, by which point my layers will be horrific!
And it's too thick to do any nice updos or buns until nearly waist :(

PiroskaCicu
May 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM
For me the most annoying was Shoulderblades to APL.
BSL has been good for me because I can do a lot more styles with it, and it also sits better on my body.

I actually really adored chin length because it was completely tangle free and had a cute bounce to it.

zirena
May 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Shoulder to APL.... no mans land! and it doesn't feel like it grows, agh

Finnenna
May 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
anything shorter than 'can get it all into ponytail', because I HATE hair in my face! I buzz cut many times over the years while trying to get past that stage. Once it's in a pony I can stand it until it grows.

YES.

I have shoulder length hair right now, except my fringe which is an inch shorter than the rest of my hair. I cannot wait until all of my hair is long enough to pull back without headbands and clips.

RocketDog
May 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Everything between buzzed and chin length is totally awful with my hair texture. Completely unmanageable when left natural, decent looking with lots and lots of product and heat-styling, both of which are a huge time- and money-suck.

Between shoulder and APL was rough for me, my hair did not behave well when down (I get great poof when it's short since the curl isn't hindered by weight/length, but it was juuuust long enough to start pulling the hair flat at the crown, so I had triangle-head to the max) and all I could manage was a ponytail.

Right now (between BSL and waist) is another annoying stretch for me, since it is not long enough to do most updos yet, and those I can do look quite pitiful since my hair is so thin. I would have been past waist several months ago had I not trimmed about 3" of straggly ends off, and I have since learned that my hair is totally uncooperative with blunt ends. Boo. I am getting slight layers cut back in next week so that it will (hopefully) behave a little better, and maybe even look nice enough to wear down now and then, something I never do now because I hate the way my hair looks.

Barbie Diamond
May 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
1/2 Inch to the length that was still too short to put back in a pony tail.

Jeno86
May 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
BSL to anything longer! It seems like it's taking forever to get past BSL.

Gaelle27
May 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM
pixie to APL! you cant do anything whith it! no pony tails, no decent braid... only wait for it to grow! ( I'm currently on that stage.....:(

Scarlet_Heart
May 21st, 2011, 07:10 AM
I think midback was my most awkward. Because it was past BSL but not yet waist and it was too long for a french twist, but too short for those nice big buns. I was just itching to get to waist because it didn't really seem long until it was there.

I also wasn't crazy about APL because it wouldn't stay behind my back which was a constant reminder that it was still short.

Chamy
May 21st, 2011, 10:26 AM
worst for me was from shoulder to apl. The stage where i could do nothing with it, not put it up, nut really wear it down.

Oksana
May 21st, 2011, 01:22 PM
APL for me, it felt short and took ages to get to BSL.

I did have lots of layers, damage and general nightmare hair during this stage so it could be that more than length i suppose...

seaj
July 8th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I've been growing my hair out for the last two years from a buzz cut, without trims, and up until a few months ago I was stuck in the awkward phase. I never thought it would end! I didn't trim or even out my hair because I knew that I wanted to end up with long hair with a natural taper to it. I'm glad that phase is over. If I ever have to do this again though I'm starting with a bowl cut for sure. It grows out so much more nicely.

Vani1902
July 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM
When I cut my hair two years ago. It was so short. I couldn't put it in a ponytail. I hate short hair so I was miserable. But, I had to cut off the relaxed hair so that I could have a uniform texture. The longer my hair is the more I like it.

Maverick494
July 8th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Between APL and BSL for me. My hair just sat there, looking blah. My mom even told me to cut it at that point. Fortunately I just shook my head and kept growing. Glad I did.

ingvild
July 8th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Any length from shoulder and to BSL was quite awkward, because of all the layers. Layers can make any length stage bad, because they put so many limitations on what you can do. I am finally able to do a half-decent French/Dutch braid now, with my shortest layer at APL. So, when I am at BSL again, I hope I will enjoy my hair.

Azhtabak
July 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I think the stage I've just came out of now; shoulder-ish to APL-ish. Lots of irritating layers; which still get in the way; still not long enough to really try any updos or anything, especially given that my fingers have the dexterity of a brick; and long enough to get in my way - especially in my eyes :p - but short enough that I couldn't get it all with a ponytail or even pins. (Without silly amounts of pins, that is.)

EDIT: APL, not BSL, getting my acronyms mixed up.

Neneka
July 8th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Pixie to one length bob. After that I feel like I have at least some hair.

MissHair
July 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Post shoulders. The way the hair shapes after your shoulders. Curling up at the back of your neck. Hate that.

turtlelover
July 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Chin to shoulder is torture for me.

Alvrodul
July 8th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I have had bangs several times, and growing them out was awful every time - especially when they were between the "falls into your eyes" stage and "tuck them behind your ears" stage. :shake:

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I don't know if this is counts because it's a shorter length, but growing my hair out from a pixie to bob was TERRIBLE because I have curly hair and I didn't get it trimmed, since I was in high school and didn't know any better. That meant it looked mullet-y all the time, and it was a always weird shape because of my curls. If I did it over now, I would commit to going to a salon on a regular basis.

ArienEllariel
July 8th, 2011, 07:16 AM
shoulder and apl. and pretty much anything shorter than that. I've had chin length layers before and a cut somewhere around chin at some point both of which bugged me to death. I'm not the best at heat styling and my hair being not really straight and not really wavy just looked bad unless it was heat styled.

I'm much much happier with my hair how it is now at BSL. It's so much easier to do things with and looks fine airdried now. It looked fine airdried at APL but being as it was still short, it was hard to do much with in terms of updos and a single braid looked, well, funny without much length.

xoerincolleen
July 8th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I hated the lengths between APL and BSL...I always had at least BSL hair in high school and senior year, decided to get it cut to a little shorter than APL. I remember thinking my hair had gotten soo long for my prom but it really wasn't even BSL yet.
Now, I'm at another annoying stage where my longest layers have gone a bit past waist but my shortest layers are still around BSL. They look weird and the ends look thin even though I have thick hair and I don't have many splits. I like it much better now than when it was shorter, but this past fall I had solid waist-length hair and I'm dying to get back to it!

Anje
July 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Hip was a little rough because suddenly my updos all stopped working. But I haven't had my hair shorter than flip length in living memory, or I'd probably hate the no-ponytail stages far worse. Growing out bangs when I was 10 left me scarred and anti-bang for life!

BeatlesFanGirl
July 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I really really hated the length between chin and APL. The worst is mid-neck, which looked awful without styleing. (And of course I didnt style my hair at all because I wanted to grow healthy hair - it was 12-13 years ago)

I didnt like short hair either, but it was much worse growing from chin - APL.

Everything below APL was managable and fun - blunt cut, U-shape, layers, BSL, BSL+, and now at waist, except for bangs (which looks good on me but real pain to manage) and V-shape that I didn't like.

Dina L.
July 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
From shoulder to apl. The worst. Ever. :)

Theobroma
July 8th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Absolutely anything above waist. At shorter lengths my hair just doesn't fall nicely, and buns look depressingly small, so waist is the absolute minimum and hip is even better!

RitaCeleste
July 8th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Anything above bsl pretty much has me in tears at points. My ponytails look pathetic. There are layers to grow out. This time I'm growing out a bad cut and I still have chunks of hair missing on the sides that haven't grown back in. I could take 4 more inches off and get rid of some of the layering and bad haircut but I can bring myself to do it. Overall, bad haircuts at any length seem worse because of all the trim and wait, trim and wait and you never feel like you are getting anywhere.

punkcatknitter
July 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I hated everything between chin and BSL, which is why I don't have any pictures of in between. :) I just kept it shoved up in a ponytail or bun or claw clip until one day I realized it had gotten long enough to be actually nice looking (middle pic in siggy). I did love chin though...

nobeltonya
July 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Shoulder to BSL, because I looked like weird Al lol My hair looks better either LOOONG or boy short. Not in between.. Also because long I can put it up into neat 'dos. :)

charalito
July 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM
For me it was between shoulder and APL. It's long by society's standards but not long enough to put into decent updos. And it doesn't have enough weight to fall properly, just flips all over the place looking like I didn't bother to style it that morning.

Never again!

darklion
July 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
man... I hated apl.
wide hair, couldn't do anything with it.
chin... I was fine.
bsl.... I was fine ... I knew how to style.

between the two was a nightmare no man's land.

Lishamatish
July 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM
For me anything shorter than BSL accompanied by layers *shudder*.

Layers may looks lovely on other people ( I have seen many examples of beautiful face framing layered cuts ) but on me ><

No... just no. Luckily ( after many years ) I have actually learnt this! And have grown them out never to return!

twilight_faerie
July 8th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Chin, when I was a senior in high school. It was too short to do anything with, and it looked stupid down. I think I wore it in a half-up every single day till it was shoulder length.

Also, BSL to waist. It lasts FOREVER. Seriously, I've been stuck here for *years*, thanks to the occasional trim.

bna_rapunzel
July 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
For me, between shoulder and APL was my worst. I missed my long hair soooo much but my shorter hair was much easier to deal with. I couldn't do anything with my hair that looked good to me... It was too short to pull up in cute updos but also too short to wear down and elegant. But I was patient and am back to waist length going for tailbone or classic.. Not sure yet. We will see where my hair wants to go :)
My advice is simply patience... It seemed like I woke up one day and everyone realized I had really long hair. Even me. :) it was worth the wait!!

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
none lol I found something good about each length
I found out that I looked good in a boy cut and a pixie, that my hair is
very curly when it short! Everyone tried to get me to keep it at pixie, but me I'm stubborn
I wanted my old length back and then some lol I have the then some now! Now on to even longer lengths ;)

CaityBear
July 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Between chin length and shoulder...at that point i wasn't consciously growing out to a long length. I had cut it to chin length just because I wanted to and then let it grow out (too lazy to get it cut because the hair dresser in my town SUCKED so I had to go to the city) but around BSL is when I decided I was growing it out long again. But that point was the worst to get through. Once it hit shoulder I was generally okay with it.

Purdy Bear
July 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM
When I had hair it was anything shorter then shoulder length. I had my hair short two or three times and it was a nightmare. I couldnt understand why it stuck out all over the place, that was until I arrived here and realised I had curly hair.

I also hated it when the hair would tickle my face and ears - that is soooooooo annoying.

Now I have some growing and some not, which is also annoying as Im tempted to shave it off but want to hang onto the straggy bits Iv got. Oh the choice LOL!

Madora
July 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Anything above mid back. I couldn't wait for my hair to get long again (after I cut it back in the early 2000s). Short hair is soooo b o r i n g!

QueenJoey
July 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
This length:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=106648&albumid=8173&dl=1309466422&thumb=1
My hair was just past shoulder, growing out from a chin length bob, and it stuck out funny. I wore it up alot (it was finally long enough to put into a pathetic little ponytail), and never really paid attention to my hair at that point. So I basically ignored my hair until it got to a prettier length.

neko_kawaii
July 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Anything that I can't get out of my face and off my neck drives me nuts. I hardly ever wear my hair down because of this. I thought once-upon-a-time that short was the way to get around this but I'm too lazy and cheap to get it cut often enough to keep it short. It is so fast and easy just to brush and braid it compared to finding clips that match and fiddling with it constantly because the clips slip out of my fine hair.

faithsdaisy421
July 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM
UUgghhhh... I hated the shoulder length-APL length phase. If I wore it down it was in my face and if I wore it up the front always came out. What a pain in the butt!!

SC
July 9th, 2011, 05:19 AM
When my hair was growing to BSL, I didn't really think about it then, but I knew how annoyed I was by my shoulder length hair. It didn't look well on back, I didn't use hair elastics and it twisted stupidly when it was on my shoulders. And of course now, from almost chin length bob to longer. It's hard to do any updos or braids, because I need so many pins (have layers on the side of my bangs).

einna
July 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks growers! This thread is just what I needed. I was just on the verge of trimming my "APL with layers up to shoulders"-hair at least 2-3 inches to get rid of old damage and layer to make my hair easier to deal with for the holidays. So glad I did not do it, it would be triangle head and even less hairdo choises! So I`ve gone back to `cones instead, and hope it helps with the tangles.
Happy growing everyone!

racrane
July 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
The stage I just passed drove me insane. It was just past shoulder, but not quite APL yet. I tried to just put it up and forget about it which kind of worked but I"m glad my hair is longer now. I'm finding every day I can do more things with my hair which makes me excited.

Rtzgrl
July 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
BSL seems to be the magic length for me. Anything shorter just doesn't seem to do what I want, but once it hits BSL, all my updos work again! I have vowed to never let it get shorter than BSL ever again for this very reason.

GoatLady
July 9th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Between APL and BSL for me. My hair just sat there, looking blah.

Ditto. When I decided to grow it out, from a bob, I could hardly stand looking at it until it got to my bra strap. Now I'm loving it and looking forward to having it finally back at my waist. :)

Siiri
July 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I hated the stage between pixie and chin length bob. It was plain ugly, I couldn't do any hair styles, and took over six months to grow it out. I don't have any pictures of that length for some reason..

gthlvrmx
July 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
BSL, APL. Just so annoying! It always felt the same length, probably because i was so used to my hair ranging from shoulder to APL for several years already :p

duckhugger
July 10th, 2011, 05:25 PM
This stage in which I am currently at http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/wilkieme/hair&#37;20photos/1.jpg is so frustrating!! I am constantly chopping the bottom bits off to avoid the dreaded mullet head, and since I am trying to do it without heat, it just gets more and more poufy the longer it grows! I think once I start university in september I will be far to preoccupied to even worry about it but at this point I just can't stand it! I will be so relieved next summer when it hits my shoulders. At least I can put it up then :D

MissHair
July 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I hated shoulder length the most. It was the length at which it was most unmanageable for me - the ends were sticking out at all the wrong angles right where it hits my shoulders, it was too short to be in updos and it was so slippery that nothing holds, super flyaway because it was too short and had no weight to hold it down .... It was just horrid!

Shoulder was always the make-it-or-break-it stage for me :rolleyes: that's where I usually lost the battle and end up going for a trim. I'm really glad that I made it past that stage and I'm never going back there again! It was a total nightmare

You said it perfectly! I earlier tried to explain just why I hate shoulder lenght and you took the words out of my mouth. I absolutely hate the flyaway feeling when the hair doesnt weigh enough to keep it down properly. I cannot wait to have long hair that is kept down thanks to the weight. :cheese:

AlannaMaria
July 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM
BSL is proving to be a little awkward for me...especially since I tried to cut it myself a while back...the layers just don't sit right. : (

joesgirl2011
July 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM
i got my hair cut february early march..wish i could remember exact date. It ended up being above chin length..a stupid sort of stacked layered bob..not sure what the heck she did..anyways. its grown over 3 inches but its THE worst hair cut i have ever had. I am having a hard time styling it now because its now just more of a layered uneven..shorter on one side mess than before..BUT at least its longer..a few more months and I know it will look and be much better. My self esteem is VERY attached to my hair. My best look is long..I am a Stress cutter...so hopefully big stressors stay out for a while.

clairenewcastle
July 10th, 2011, 08:02 PM
The worst length for me was just below my ears for it meant I couldn't pull my hair back into a ponytail.
As soon as I could - the relief....the relief!

archel
July 10th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Growing out bangs and being in the clips and headbands every day stage is H*LL. Seriously :(

CurlyNaomi
July 10th, 2011, 10:18 PM
When my hair was shorter than shoulder lenght omygosh It's was looking so horrid curly ..so I was wearing my hair straight ALL the time :|

xoxophelia
July 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I feel like it is from waist to hip. It is still too short to hang right in the front on me and sort of looks like it cuts my torso in half. It is going to take a good three inches before it starts to hang right.

Seeshami
July 10th, 2011, 10:38 PM
the stage where you can't put it up. To combat that evil stage I just pinned a circle around my pony tail to make it look like it was all in a pony tail. I used many many hats too.

Keller1128
July 10th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I'm going to agree with a lot of other members that shoulder to APL is annoying and awkward! I miss my long hair :(

LuXious
July 11th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Um... that stage between 2" long and chin-length. Ya know, the one that lasts for like, a year.

pixiedust
July 11th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Um... that stage between 2" long and chin-length. Ya know, the one that lasts for like, a year.

HAHAA SERIOUSLY. How about the one where it's anywhere between earlobe-length and can I call this shoulder length ?

AnnaJamila
July 11th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I hated when it was just at the top of my shoulders on down to about bsl. It made me look so heavy!!! Now that it's creeping on toward waist it looks MUCH better. Also I can really put it up now (my hair is very slippery so when it's shorter it's impossible to put it up and keep it there) so on "blah" days I can slap it all up on top of my head and forget about it.

Saranne772
July 11th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I have enjoyed all my lengths- when it was shorter I was a child so don't remember.
But when I have done a significant trim I finnd myself not knowing what to do with my hair. That is the annoying stage ;)

Cania
July 11th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Just past chin length. So unflattering, but so easy to take care of..

Freitzeit
July 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Shoulder length was the worst for me. I couldn't do anything with it, and it was the shortest hair I've ever had. I missed my long hair :(

Persephone
July 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
From a short bob, I hated the point at which I couldn't pull back my hair, nor tuck it behind my ears, and yet it would flop into my eyes if I leaned over.

That was a brief stage.

The second was slightly longer- not long enough for a ponytail, but long enough to make my neck hot. I wanted to cut it then.

gracenotes
July 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Everywhere between just below shoulder and a little longer than APL just looked SO awkward. Also, the stage I'm in right now (longest layers just barely grazing waist) is becoming problematic because the layers stick out of buns in ways that are really tricky to handle.

nazzooyzo
July 11th, 2011, 03:16 PM
pixie to chin....

utdesertrunner
July 11th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Chin to shoulder. I am at this stage right now and I really dislike it! I feel like a boy, my face is all pudgy from pregnancy. It is really hard right now.

Bellona
July 11th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I hate the way my hair looks shorter, and anything above ear is a nightmare with my waves/cowlicks. it settles a bit from jaw to shoulder, getting straighter because my bottom layer is much curlier, so it really wasn't misbehaving or annoying, I just didn't like the way it looked.

I liked it at shoulder and APL. Now at BSL Im starting to get wurlies and tangles and puffball frizz. I don't know why the longer my hair gets the worse it acts! Now it seems to grow out instead of down. I thought it was supposed to do that when it was shorter :rolleyes:

mysticfishtales
July 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Shoulder to BSL is the worst for me. I hate it when it is down and can't do much besides a ponytail. I am so glad mine is past that stage.

Lilli
July 12th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Chin to collarbone - my hair just flips in and out weirdly and looks awful. A bob is cute, and longer than collarbone it will stop flipping out, but the year between the two is so awful that I would always get it cut and it ended up taking two years.

kmoc123
July 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
1. When my bangs are growing out and I can't do anything with them. I should stop cutting them!
2. When my hair was super short...ick....

deja
September 17th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I felt as though I was stuck at shoulder forever and I didn't know any good updos so I started doing a ponytail or a regular bun daily in the same spot and that started to break my hair off. I hated SL and I hope I never go back!

HintOfMint
September 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Anything above APL, lord what a poofy nightmare that has been!

Applegirl84
September 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Shoulder length was the worst for me...not short, not long, so blah. And yet it's a length that so many people have/recommend. I get so annoyed by that. I get the dramatic effect of short hair, but with long hair I can get that effect with updos. Really long hair seems the most versatile hair length and yet people say it's impractical :shrug:

jupiterinleo
September 17th, 2013, 06:53 PM
For me it's anything shorter than armpit length. My hair just poofs out when it's short. My shortest haircut was jaw-length in the 2nd grade, and my head looked like a mushroom.

jacqueline101
September 17th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Bra strap I can't seems to leave it fast enough.

MeowScat
September 18th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Chin to collarbone. It was so close to being able to have the ends rest on my shoulders yet it wasn't long enough. A few months later, that was solved. Been there several times.

ebullience
September 18th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Chin to shoulder was not fun - I couldn't ever tie all my hair up and would have to use an awful lot of bobby pins too, so I'm glad to be done with that stage :)

Words
September 18th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Shoulder length. It's not a nice short bob and it's not long at all.

Andeee
September 18th, 2013, 07:52 AM
A few years back my hair was past waist length (I think) and I thought I should look more 'polished' so I asked my hair stylist to cut it to bra-strap length, just assuming she'd know what that meant. Well it was at least 2 inches shorter than that and when pulled back into a pony-tail it was no more than what I called 'a stub'. I was very sad for a long time about it.

RavennaNight
September 18th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Shoulder/APL. Can you say giant triangular hair? It needed weight that comes with length. Not surprisingly, that was the length when people were badgering me about my hair being too long. I was never badgered again, after that phase passed.

Lady Mary
September 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Shoulder/APL. Can you say giant triangular hair? It needed weight that comes with length. Not surprisingly, that was the length when people were badgering me about my hair being too long. I was never badgered again, after that phase passed.

Ugh yes, of course my hair looks funky, I'm growing it out... No, I don't need to cut it, it won't grow out if I cut it!

tigerlily.
September 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I loved chin and just past. Soon as it hit my shoulders to bsl, I didn't like it one bit. I didn't feel short anymore, but it didn't feel long either.

maegalcarwen
September 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
After my big chop, it was a bit longer then chin, I'd call it neck, but that doesn't exist:D But from there until what I have now, I hated it every day. Just goes everywhere and you can't tame it. So glad it's over.

embee
September 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Too short to tie back. Oh dear, the horrid tickling little pieces that got into my face, into my eyes, my mouth, my food, caught in my glasses hinges. :( Once I could make a low pony I could relax. It didn't look good but it felt *great*.

I had a collection of those fabric/ribbon "bow" barrettes in colors to match my outfits and felt rather polished and put-together at last. (Heh, and I still have a number of them, loved them so much then that I can't quite part with my favorites even though I hardly ever use them.)

Skuld
September 18th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Right now, BSL. Because I can never grow out of it!

Nerine
September 18th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I hated my hair at chin-length and then APL to BSL was kind of an awkward stage..

RedNymph
September 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Chin to shoulder length. You can't do jack with it.

ExpectoPatronum
September 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I haaaate where I'm at now. Stretched, I'm about an inch past BSL. The hairs that are there lie very nicely. However, I have layers that range from just above shoulder to a little past APL and those layers poof up so much compared to my longer lengths and it just looks so bad when it's down. :(

SM
September 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Come on, the fear of the looming Mullet of Doom while you grow your pixie is pretty hard to match

earthnut
September 18th, 2013, 11:53 AM
From about 2-3 inches, when my curls started doing weird stuff; to ponytail, when I could finally tie it back from my face. I didn't mind the *look* of the mullet stage at all, my hair is curly enough that it just looked layered. But it was always in my face. :P

Marbid
September 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Oh the bald cut. I hated the bald cut..

For a short history of my hair: I always had hip length hair when little. But never took care of it. Cut it to chin length. Regretted it like the worst decision of my life. But since it was short... I went crazy with hair products.. In order of occurrence: straighten every day... then add bleach... then add black.... then add at home relaxer for African-American hair. Plus too much time with the relaxer on, on bleached and black hair.... = bald patches of hairless scalp... and then dissolving hair. So shiny shiny egg head it was.

Have not put any chemical into my hair since or heat. I think I am afraid of it. But I am still struggling with managing and accepting my curls. But I don't want to harm them. I think I might have finally found a way to deal with my hair without hurting it as I grow it out. Currently at waist on full on shrunken curls.

Did I mention that because I left the relaxer on too much, it actually burned my scalp on the bald spots... So when I had to go fully bald... I had burn marks, all over my head. I looked like a chemical accident gone wrong.

thank god for beanies.

browneyedsusan
September 19th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Come on, the fear of the looming Mullet of Doom while you grow your pixie is pretty hard to match

^this^

ha ha ha! :rolling:

Stray_mind
September 19th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Armpit lenght, just because it looks bad in me. Only very short or very long hair looks good on me..

ybessie
September 19th, 2013, 06:28 AM
I hate BSL and have been stuck here for the past year, just wishing that this isn't my terminal length:pray:

Elithia
September 19th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Yup, chin to shoulder. My hair was BSL before I could get it to stay up with a hairstick, so anything shorter than BSL but longer than a bob was pretty frustrating.

TBL when it was all one length. Ugh. That was this week's nightmare. Layers now. Much better.

MaryO
September 20th, 2013, 03:41 AM
My hair is still rather short but I just hated having it in my neck. The only way to get trough it was to put it up with little grip clips. The positive thing abput just putting it up like that is that it grew without me staring at it the whole time! ;-) Now I'm doing something similar for the summer because of heat and looking forward to letting my hair down next year some time to find at close to APL! :-)

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 20th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Just hitting bra strap. It kept falling into my face all the time.

Bagginslover
September 20th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Now at just hip. I'm all excited because its at hip, and people are remarking at how long it is, but it still doesn't look long to me, and I can't work out why! Maybe I've just been on here too long ;)

LadyCelestina
September 20th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Some of the shorter lengths were very annoying,I think it was SL but I am not sure.A very recent annoying length was right over BSL where the spine makes a slight curve.At some point my hair just stayed in the air,ends pointing diagonally.Now it goes over the curve so the ends point down again.I am so happy.

TheVegan6
September 21st, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hip and shorter I HATED! I could not do any styles, and it just looked... weird.

BlondeWavyGal
September 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM
Shoulder to APL

WilfredAllen
September 21st, 2013, 08:40 PM
cbl to apl is awful

patienceneeded
September 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm back at BSL after a much-needed trim that removed the last of my years of bleach/coloring and straightening damage. I forgot how much I hated BSL until now! I do not in any way regret the trim...it was needed. However, I can't DO anything at BSL...my hair is too thick! It's frustrating to be unable to do styles that were my go-to for over a year... Oh well. It will grow.

SweetBronze
September 21st, 2013, 08:51 PM
The one that I'm going through right now. APL to BSL. I can't do much with APL for my hair, I have to wait until it's full back length.

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 09:33 PM
After pixie cut, before pony-tail length. There was no way to keep it back!

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 09:35 PM
There was also that longish but not long enough stage where my hair kept swinging onto the burner... That was 'fun' too.

0xalis
September 22nd, 2013, 12:52 AM
Pixie to chin was the absolute worst. I'm hating collarbone to APL as well, especially with my wave making my hair fall to exactly collarbone even though it's an inch or two past! Uuuuuuuuuugh shoot me :(

Johannah
September 22nd, 2013, 01:31 AM
When my layers were chin-length. Horrible.

Noctifer
September 22nd, 2013, 01:38 AM
Well I would say shoulder to somewhere inbetween Apl and BSL was pretty hard to work whit.

stachelbeere
September 22nd, 2013, 03:43 AM
Neck to collarbone... ugh.

stachelbeere
September 22nd, 2013, 03:59 AM

lololol :D
I agree - even though I ever went through that stage :D

clioariane
September 22nd, 2013, 04:30 AM
Growing out bangs, for sure. Just that stage where it's between ear and jaw level is the wort because you can't really do anything with except use hair clips or bands. Luckily I'm past that now
:)

Lunearia
September 22nd, 2013, 05:30 AM
I too disliked the BSL length the most. It felt like forever, I was sure my hair had stopped growing completely. :D

bananahanna
October 4th, 2013, 12:50 AM
I want to say that my slightly lower than chin hair growing to shoulder is the most annoying... but at least it can still look decent and just barely fit into a pony nub.. heheh. The WORST has to be shoulder to armpit length. That awkward middle stage which i believe everyone hates but seems to trap so many people.. anyway, i spent probably ten years around there somehow and once i finally passed it... i had to chop chop chop because of icky bleach cottony straw dread hair.
NEED PATIENCE.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
October 4th, 2013, 05:39 AM
From ear length to shoulder length. I look absolutely hideous in that length :P

chen bao jun
October 4th, 2013, 06:05 AM
When it was too short to put it up.
Also, any layers at all. I had at one point what they called in the 70's a shag, it was actually flattering to my face but I couldn't stand the styling and upkeep.

ExpectoPatronum
October 4th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I was at BSL but recently cut to APL. I think from APL to BSL is my least favorite because I have never been able to grow longer than that without having to cut, so I feel like I've been stuck there for years. I'll be happy when I'm past BSL.

summergreen
October 4th, 2013, 01:34 PM
It seemed to take me forever to get from barely waist length, to hip length!

Rio040113
October 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM
BSL - Waist, the 'Mid Back Abyss', ugh!!

Ms. Littlefish
October 4th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I've never been really long so my perspective is a little different, but I hated chin the most because I can see that my hair is no longer pixie and that makes me really happy but I can't put it up yet. GAH!

Paraply
October 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Waist length is annoying. It's quite long but not long enough for me... CL is my goal. People are telling me almost daily how long my hair is but I don't know how to answer that... Actually any shorter length than waist was easier for me, because I used to be less conscious about my hair, nowadays I'm checking too often if it has grown or not :shake:

long&blonde
October 4th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Not a fan of shoulder length on myself. Absolutely hate it when it naturally goes into a flip or a pageboy.