PDA

View Full Version : do certain hemlines make your hair appear longer

share801
May 17th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I am getting another trim tomorrow for my thin ends, but I gotta say I am really discouraged after several years at this long hair game.

I won't do anything drastic but I may need to make peace with the fact my hair only seems to be capable of looking good at a much shorter length than I really wanted.

Anyway, I currently have a straight hemline in hopes of my ends looking their best.

Do you think a u shaped line would create an optical illusion of more hair since I may never get as long as I intended to go?

terpentyna
May 17th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I believe that a V or U shape can make the appearance of longer hair... H

ow come you're so discouraged? I personally like my hair to be the same lngth, but you can always get layers, you know, and keep the longest still very long...

MonaLisa
May 17th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I've always had U or V shape, and yes I think it makes your hair appear longer IN THE BACK...when u see me from front...it appears waaaaay shorter :)
Keep that in mind..

But if you aren't satisfied with how your hair is for several years, a little change could make difference, and without losing length :)

julliams
May 17th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I have a U shape with layers and I've always thought it made my hair look shorter since the side bits are shorter making it look from the front like I have shorter hair than I actually do. Plus when I look at the back, with anything from day 2 hair, my eye is drawn to the shortest layer and I think it makes my hair look like it's at that shorter length with an extra bit hanging down further - could just be all in my head.

Angeletti
May 17th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I can definitely say that having a V shape makes your hair appear shorter than it really is, I've done tests in photoshop before and made my hair all a blunt length at classic vs having my hair the way it is now, and it definitely looks longer with a blunt cut! It's one of the reasons why I want to ditch my V.

Sylvanas
May 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I think a V-shape makes the hair look longer (obviously only from the back). U-shape - not so much.

весна
May 17th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I'd say a blunt hemline works better in making your hair look longer. That way all of you hair is the same length, from the back and from the front. It also makes the hair look thicker. But maybe you could use a little change. ;)

knoxkatie
May 17th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I also think a blunt hemline makes the hair look a lot longer.

Joliebaby
May 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Vote for blunt hemline making hair look longer. I have a pretty deep U going on now and trying to get rid of it slowly.. I wish my sides were as long as the back.

growingpains
May 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Since your hair is thin you may find a U or V shape makes it seem shorter as LESS total hairs will be long, making the eye drawn to the bulk. That said, if you have problems growing the sides long and healthy, a v or u will be good to make it look a bit healthier. Personally I want a straighter hemline, but my front hairs are so fragile and baby like they don't seem to go as long without damage, so I'd rather have a nice looking u than not nice looking blunt, though I am aiming to get more blunt as I grow, slowly.

Fadedbluedreams
May 17th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I prefer a blunt hemline too. All your hair is one length so it looks longer.

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I think a blunt hemline makes hair look longer but once past bsl can make it look cape like IMHO. I think a slight U shape looks nicest on all lengths, though whether it makes hair look longer I dunno. Length is in the eye of the beholder I suppose! 30" is 30" whatever hemline!

squiggyflop
May 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM
blunt looks longer IMHO, because when i see a u or v cut i only see the shortest strands for some reason

Anje
May 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Blunt looks longest, I think, because of the bulk of hair all there at one length. However, if you're like me and the hair on the sides doesn't grow as long or as quick, a fairly shallow U can still give similar visual weight to the ends of the hair while making the sides look like they have a full hem.

I tend to mentally average hemlines by where the bulk of the hairs end, and consider hair to be at that average length. So too deep a V or U tends to not look as long to me.

How much are you wearing your hair up? You might make better progress if your hair is up most days, if it's not already. Plus, you don't have to worry about how your hemline looks with updos.

DreamDance
May 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I always seem to notice blunt hemlines more. I think they're a more drastic representation of long hair.

share801
May 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Well I stayed with blunt.

My hair doesn't have a lot of "bulk" anywhere - there is just not that much of it. She said it looked healthy though.

owlathena
May 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I personally prefer U or V shapes on BSL+ hair. I think straight across can look weird. I second jojo's "cape" comment. Also, my hair gets damaged the most in the front and on the sides (I think because I mess with it the most there, and when I used to straighten it I focused on the hair around my face). So, a V shape is a good way to cut off the most damage while keeping the most length. I might be a little biased, since I recently cut my hemline into a V. :D

chelshireling
May 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I definatley think blunt ends look longer but i prefer the look of a V or U because it is less severe (no offense to people with blunt ends, its all good) but if you have blunt ends and it aint working out, you may want to try a V or U, or maybe layers, just to mix it up and see what does work instead of doing a major cut. I think that would be a better idea before cutting it.

shawty
May 17th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Whether your hemline is blunt or curved, a trim by itself can make your hair appear longer! Seriously, as long as you don't remove a lot of length, a slight trim should do it. My last few trims have done exactly that. Maybe it's because the ends look better. IDK. But best of luck with whatever you choose! =)

Barbie Diamond
May 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM
A blunt hemline that is trimmed to flip out slightly (for movement) looks longest on me.

princess03
May 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Vote for blunt hemline making hair look longer. I have a pretty deep U going on now and trying to get rid of it slowly.. I wish my sides were as long as the back.

Same here!