PDA

View Full Version : help with "spring shed"

terpentyna
May 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I am in between denial and freaking out right now. In the past month, I seem to have lost 2.5 cm of hair off my ponytail. I just measured, and it's between 7 and a half an eight cm, and it was a nice round 10.

I seem to have gained a lot of hair in the winter, I would shed like 2- 5 hairs when washing it. then, all of a sudden - a lot. I do not count hair that has fallen out. Diet has not been different, the only thing that happened was finals in February (stress).

tl;dr - is it okay to lost 2.5 cm off of your pony for a spring shed?

Chetanlaiho
May 17th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I don't know much about spring sheds but if I lost that much hair, I'd see a doctor to get checked for any possible physical cause (like thyroid issues etc.) I lost a little bit more hair in the spring too but 2.5cm is really quite a bit :(

Mesmerise
May 17th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Well 2.5cm is about an inch, and yeah, I think that's a fair amount for a shed! It's about 1/4 of the circumference of your ponytail.

However, if you've stopped shedding, odds are that it will regrow and be fine again later, but it may take awhile for your hair to thicken up to its normal state. I had shedding a year ago now, and my hair still isn't "normal". Not sure how much I lost though, as I never used to measure circ!

If you are at all concerned, and your shedding is continuing, then visit a doctor to ensure it's not your thyroid or something else causing the shedding. Also consider whether you've had any extra stress or illness in recent months which could have contributed to the shed.

terpentyna
May 17th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys... It does worry me a bit, I am on medication for my thyroid so maybe I should check up on it. I was hoping it would just be the regular fluctuations.

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Thats quite some shed. Have you recently gone back to cones? Cones tend to weigh my hair down a little, maybe this could be a reason?

On a positive note; I always experience a growth spurt after a big shed!

spidermom
May 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I can lose half an inch from shedding (only in the fall so far, and not every year). More than an inch sounds like too much.