PDA

View Full Version : Do these scalp care methods contradict each other??

shikara
May 16th, 2011, 11:27 PM
When I read about different methods of scritching, or even of using combs to massage, it is obvious the teeth of the comb will rub back and forth against the roots; in fact, some Korean and other asian methods of scritching I've seen seem to be fairly aggressive and lengthy (aggressive may not be the right word, but they are fast movements). All this is supposed to be good for your scalp and hair. When I've read about different methods for scalp massage with the pads of your fingers; however, it is often specifically stated to make sure your fingers stay in place and do not rub against the roots of your hair, as this will damage them. I'm confused:confused: Can you clear this up for me?

frizzinator
May 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Scritching with a comb provides a really stimulating feeling on the scalp, but it takes a long time to do the entire scalp. I scritch with a comb at a slower speed, because it seems like fast scritching would damage hairs.

I prefer to scritch with my fingernails. I've done it this way almost daily for over 40 years. Scritching with fingernails does not stimulate the scalp as much as a comb, but I can do it much quicker over my entire scalp than using a comb. It requires well groomed fingernails filed smooth, in order to not catch and break hairs.

Either way, comb or fingernails, I tend to work an area and then stop and move from area to area to avoid breaking hairs. Of course there is some crossing of hairs against the roots, but I control potential damage by removing the fingers or comb from the hair and then reinserting in a different location on the scalp.

In my experience, this issue seems so much more important with massage than with scritching.

It is nearly impossible for me to massage without removing my fingers and then reinserting them in another location. I plant the fingerpads on the scalp and use them to move the scalp, then remove the fingers and reinsert in another location.

CrystalStar
May 17th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I tried massaging with my comb for the first time last night b y combing over my scalp again and again with some pressure. I found it so much faster and mroe efefctive than using my hands! :p